I realize it has now been over a month since the last post here and posts were not frequent before that. I am still trying to figure out how to get everything done. With my prospect list finished I am going to doing a mad rush to finish out the report cards here before we launch into yet another baseball season. Thank you for bearing with us.
Early in the 2017 season the Phillies bullpen was much maligned. Pat Neshek was good, Neris was shaky, and Joaquin Benoit and Jeanmar Gomez were blowing games. By midseason, the Phillies had traded Neshek and Benoit, and released Gomez. And yet, in the second half the Phillies posted the 10th best bullpen ERA in baseball. This was while Jesen Therrien and Ricardo Pinto pitched nearly 40 innings of 9 ERA baseball. So how do you turn around a bullpen midseason without acquiring any players?
- April – July: 28 IP 6.43 ERA 12 BB 30 K
- August – September: 26.2 IP 1.69 ERA 6 BB 33 K
- April – June: 31 IP 5.52 ERA 22 BB 38K
- August – September: 26.2 IP 2.70 ERA 6 BB 37 K
- April – May: 15.2 IP 2.30 ERA 4 BB 7 K
- June – July: 55.2 IP 2.75 ERA 22 BB 53 K