Phillies First Half Infographic

As the All-Star festivities have quieted and teams officially turn their full attention toward the proverbial second half of the season, I went back through the 2016 Phillies’ season from April to the All-Star break to put together a first half infographic for those visually inclined, like myself.

The season, in my eyes, could be split into four distinct parts: an “Oh no not this again” 0-4 start fueled by a disastrous bullpen, a five-week run as the most surprising team in baseball highlighted by an .875 winning percentage in 16 one-run games, the subsequent regression to the mean, and the current stretch of surprisingly potent hitting. Enjoy.

First Half Infographic

All suggestions, comments and concerns are welcome.

1. Steve

July 14, 2016 12:10 PM

Cool post!

2. Francisco (FC)

July 14, 2016 12:23 PM

Great Infograhic, I especially like the part that specifies to the minute how long the Phillies spent 1st place in a tie with the Nationals.

3. Romus

July 14, 2016 02:03 PM

Like it…..busy with lots of data.
    That late May-June swoon was a killer for them…..pythagorean speaking.
    Looking forward to the 2016 season final infographic in October.

4. Francisco

July 15, 2016 07:40 AM

In fact, my only suggestion would be to use a time piece (something akin to a pocket watch face) to mark down the times 3:34pm and 10:18pm with a shade in between the times and the explanation of the Phillies tie for first with the Nationals. Makes it slightly more dramatic. I”m just afraid I can’t point to an example, my casual search hasn’t turned up what I have in mind.

5. Dan

July 15, 2016 12:24 PM

Is it too early to be a happy and excited Phillies fan again? Sure the big league team is deeply flawed, worse than the record shows, and will once again be sellers at the deadline, but man I feel some optimism about the near future for the first time in a long time. And I think it’s time to give RAJ some credit for the current state of the franchise with some great young talent at all levels. We go on ad nauseum about the terrible Howard deal and RAJ’s pursuit of relevance when the team was clearly declining, but I haven’t seen a good piece on the haul that we got from recent drafts and trades which seem to be pretty substantial (all while he was still GM). I am in no way a RAJ apologist and have been railing against him since, well probably the day after we won the World Series, but I think I need to step back and appreciate what he’s done to put us in the position we’re in today. Since I don’t live in Philly and no longer subscribe to mlb.tv, I really get my Phillies news through this site and other fan sites, and some big media outlets. I’m haven’t watched a single game this year at any level, only the occasional highlights, but I have to say that I’m excited for the first time in a long time and RAJ probably deserves a little credit for that. And I think this site would be the perfect place to do a lookback at the RAJ years after he decided to start the rebuild. Thanks. This site is awesome.

• Adam Dembowitz

July 15, 2016 12:34 PM

We have been crediting Amaro for the good moves he made for a couple years now. Feel free to look back at the many previous posts that fit the description you gave.

• Steve

July 16, 2016 10:38 AM

We wont know what we got in those drafts and trade for a few years. Yes Eickhoff, Velazquez and Eflin have looked good, but i wouldnt call them established major leaguers. Williams JPC Cozens and Lively have certainly had minor league success, which has been documented, but thats all so far. Alfaro, Randolph, Kingry are all unknowns. The trades look nice now but if 2/3 years from now VV is hurt, Appel never produces and Alfaro is the next JP Arenciba we may feel diferently.

• Bob

July 19, 2016 10:10 AM

This Amaro-lovefest is unbelievable to me. In 2013, the Phillies won 73 games. In 2014, 73 games. In 2015, they had the worst record in baseball and won 63 games. They are on pace to win about 75 games. That is four horrific years of baseball. If Amaro had taken the necessary steps in 2013 to advance this rebuild, we wouldn’t be so far behind today.

Right now, we have two position players in the majors who are even halfway decent – Herrera and Franco. And Franco has been in his sophomore slump, which hopefully he is finally coming out of whereas Herrera seems to be going into the slump. Having only two decent players out of eight position players shows we are still way behind the eight ball.

The pitching is still way up in the air. Nola has struggled to say the least after a hot start. Eickhoff has shown that he has the potential to be a back of the rotation starter. Eflin still needs to show a lot more consistency and the injury concerns surrounding Velazquez have been realized.

The minor leaguers remain question marks. Cozens and Hoskins are strike out machines aided by a hitters park. Knapp has regressed. Quinn remains injured. Randolph has been sidelines. Lively hasn’t shown strikeout stuff. Crawford needs more time to develop his hit tool and his error rate in AA was concerning. Williams looks good, but a 23% strikeout rate and a .328 OBP in AAA will deflate in the majors. I like Thompson but his K/9 are a little low. I think all of these prospects have potential but they all still have stuff to work on to be even average MLB players. Hopefully, they can make the necessary adjustments, but they remain wild cards until then.

Giving credit to Amaro is mind-boggling. This team is still years away from competing. Next year, we will see about the same record as we’ll be infusing a bunch of youngsters into the lineup who will have to make adjustments. That will be five years of bad baseball and that’s because of Amaro.

• Romus

July 19, 2016 10:42 AM

Were you complaining after the 2011 season?
        Charlie did manage the team AND called some of the shots thru the manager change over in 2013 after 81-18 record in 2012 and further falling in 2013.
        Ruben was under the MGM direction….Manuel/Gillick and Monty.
        What is mind-boggling is how some are nearsighted to what really transpired behind the scenes.

• Romus

July 19, 2016 10:43 AM

after ’81-81′ record in 2012

• ryan

July 19, 2016 10:51 AM

The amaro “love” comes from a contrarian response to people like you. You just poked “holes” in like 14 minor leaguers with MLB expectations. I hate to break it to you, but that’s not a bad place to be in. His teams won a lot of games for a while, then lost a bunch for a while. They were undoubtedly the best team in the league in 2011. They were arguably the worst in 2015. They are in the 25-20 range in 2016 with a top 5 farm system. I can squint and see them as the best team in baseball in 2018. I think objectively, it would be hard to say that Amaro’s administration was the best or worst at anything. They have sure had a lot of volatility though.

And to put your post another way, the current team (one of the youngest in the league) is on pace for about 75 wins and has near MLB ready internal candidates at every single position that represent at worst, replacements and at best upgrades. They also have no significant financial constraints moving forward.

• Bob

July 19, 2016 12:05 PM

Romus,

Neither you, nor I, were present for what transpired behind the scenes. All I’ve heard are second- and thirdhand reports from unidentified sources that cut both ways. If you have some firsthand knowledge of what happened, I’d be more than willing to consider it. But to suggest that your ability to read into the tea leaves and divine definitive conclusions as to the who made what decision is galling.

I wasn’t complaining after the 2011 season. I wasn’t even complaining after the 2012 season because I thought that real changes were going to be made to improve this team. The fact that none were was shocking and shows that Amaro was in way over his head. Look at the ballpark the past couple years. No one wants to watch this team because the product is terrible.

I don’t understand your point about Manuel. He can only play the players that are given to him. It’s Amaro’s job to get those players.

ryan,

I’m not saying that our prospects are bad. In fact, I’m happy with how many of them have been coming along. What I’m saying that there are a lot of unknowns and that they still need to improve facets of their game to reach their potential. To think that these prospects will come up and play at above-average rate is a possibility, but it’s not a given. How many prospects have flamed out? A ton. I see positives in all our prospects but there is legitimate work that they need to put in to succeed at the major league level.

You say it yourself – the next possibility for this Phillies’ team to truly compete is 2018 if things break right. That will be seven seasons of bad, bad baseball. It never should’ve gotten that bad with the resources ownership was willing to devote. And this years team is a lot of smoke and mirrors. The RD is atrocious. The percentage of one run wins is unsustainable. I truly believe that with MacPhail and Klentak the Phillies are finally on the right track. However, we’re a long ways off.

• Romus

July 19, 2016 02:04 PM

Bob…fair enough.
        My point was that Amaro seems to get the lion’s share of all the blame for the teams fall to futility. And as it was under his watch…I guess that is a natural assumption to be made. But for the most part, it should be shared since he reality, up until his contract was not extended in Nov 2014, he was a puppet of sorts to all his bosses.

• Bob

July 19, 2016 02:35 PM

I don’t disagree with that, Romus. The current state of the Phillies was a collective failure of Gillick, Montgomery, Amaro, Wolever, Manuel, Sandberg, etc. My only real problem is that people are giving Amaro credit when this team has been, is, and will continue to be a mess for some time to come. It never should’ve gotten this bad. It’s going to take at least seven years of watching bad baseball to escape this precarious position and that’s if everything goes right. A kid would go from 9 years old to 16 without knowing good baseball in this town.

• ryan

July 19, 2016 05:35 PM

You do realize that 30 teams in the league are aiming for the same thing, right?

2011 – Best team in baseball – Winning is Fun!
        2012 – Returned most of the same team – Strated out fun, became less fun.
        2013 – Bad and getting worse – Unfun
        2014 – Bad and getting worse – Unfun
        2015 – Bottomed out – Unfun
        2016 – Bad but improving – I think this team is fun but I’m open to debate
        2017 – Should be ~.500 and improving – Should be like the Cubs and Astros 2-3 years ago – Fun
        2018 – Should be very good, will probably pick up at least 1 top end free agent. – Fun

I’m counting 3 truly unfun years to watch (13 – 15) and perhaps this year if you’re worried about W/L records. I just don’t understand counting all of the years from peak to peak as wasted and unwatchable.

The best management in the game may have traded off vets earlier, and we may have gotten back some pretty good young prospects. But then again, we could have signed Fielder, Pablo, Greinke, etc and then where would we be?

• Bob

July 19, 2016 07:19 PM

Yes, I do realize that 30 teams are aiming for the same thing. That’s why I don’t believe that there is a straight line to improvement. There will be bumps in the road as other teams snap up prospects, international players and free agents that will countermand any gains made by the Phillies and incrementally slow the rebuild. I don’t see a straight path to success as you do. The Phillies run differential is currently -93 – third worst in baseball. To get the second WC spot, they would have to best the Dodgers who have a +57 RD. That means the Phillies will have to improve by 150 runs to be in the playoff picture. Where are they going to get those runs?

What are your 2018 projections for the Phillies starters and their stats? I don’t see how they can get that many runs by 2018 unless every possible thing breaks right. That’s a lot of hope and prayer.

6. jeremy weinapple