Phillies Avoid Arbitration with Remaining Three Players

As Corinne noted on Monday, the Phillies had three outstanding arbitration cases ahead of Friday’s deadline. They’ve agreed to contracts with all three players.

Shortstop Freddy Galvis, in his first year of arbitration eligibility, settled for $2 million with the Phillies on Wednesday, per Jon Heyman. On Thursday night, reliever Jeanmar Gomez settled for $1.4 million in his second year of eligibility, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Finally, starter Jeremy Hellickson settled for $7 million in his third and final year of eligibility, according to CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury.

MLB Trade Rumors projected respective salaries of $1.9 million, $1.5 million, and $6.6 million. Mostly in the case of Hellickson, the Phillies spent a bit more than expected but given how much money they have with which to play and how little of it is committed to the 2016 roster, it won’t matter.

The Phillies had previously agreed to contracts with two other arbitration eligible players last month, signing outfielder Peter Bourjos for $2 million (projected $1.8 million) and utilityman Andres Blanco for $1.45 million (projected $1 million).

Excluding pre-arb players, the Phillies now have about $77 million committed to 10 players. First baseman Ryan Howard represents about one-third of that expenditure.

The Phillies are also paying Cliff Lee $12.5 million as they bought him out of the final year of his contract in November.

1. Jesse

January 15, 2016 11:34 AM

Not that it’s a huge deal, but I’ve been wondering when the Phillies are on the hook for the remaining $9.5 million from Hamels’ contract that they agreed to absorb. It’s not listed in Cot’s, where I compulsively turn for “official” contract data.

Also, Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez ($4 million) will be the sixth-highest-paid Phillie this year.

• Matt Winkelman

January 15, 2016 01:01 PM

I believe they paid his remaining salary for the 2015 season only, Harrison is essentially the offset for the rest going forward.

• Romus

January 15, 2016 02:58 PM

I assumed the Phillies were responsible for the difference between the 2015 remaining ($8.2M) and the residual of the $9.5M to start 2016.
      Bottom-line…..$1.3M for 2016.
      Perhaps I am reading this wrong.
      COTS….”acquired by Texas in trade from Philadelphia 7/29/15, with Phillies responsible for $9.5M of the $81,737,704 left on Hamels’ contract ($8,237,704 in 2015, $67.5M in 2016-18 salaries and $6M buyout). As part of the deal, Philadelphia also assumes responsibility for $32,759,562 remaining on Matt Harrison’s contract”.

2. Major Malfunction

January 16, 2016 08:25 AM

I read Corrine’s article about the excitement of the prospects and was looking forward to this season even if the team is not ready to compete. Then I see that pie chart with Howard’s $25M and suddenly remembered I’ll still have to watch his 200 Ks this season in the middle of exciting new faces carrying the hopes of the franchise. I know it’s beating a dead horse, but I had totally forgotten about it because I’ve been reading so much about the prospects. Bummer.

Regardless, the amount of cap space is tremendous and come next year, they will have some serious ability to mix A+ free agents with this young core. If the chemistry works, it could be an exciting few years of Phillies baseball.

• Romus

January 16, 2016 08:59 AM

Stephen Strasberg will be out there next season.
      The new Phillies regime starts anew with Boras and Company.

• Steve

January 16, 2016 03:23 PM

I hear you, but im kind of ho-hum on Strasburg. Its going to be a big contract, and his elbow still scares me. I know that no one want to read this but i think ’18 is the year. potentionally a monster FA class, you could easily spend 50-75 million/year acquiring 2 or 3 players in ’18, plus it give us an extra year to see whos going to develop. I could see us signing a stop gap 1b or 2b next year depending on how kingry/valentin and Alfaro/knapp/cozens/hoskins develop….. But im looking at ’18 as the big year.

• Steve

January 16, 2016 03:27 PM

I wouldnt be suprised if we see less Howard this year. I think they really tried to play him as much as possible to see if they could generate any trade interest. It seems very unlikely that he gets traded now, meaning that there is no motive to play him if the situation doesn’t call for it. I would expect a match-up based platoon at the least.

• Major Malfunction

January 18, 2016 12:33 PM

A platoon situation would be better and a switch to just a “veteran presence in the locker room” would be ideal. But we’ve been down this road the last 2 years it seems. Hopes of a platoon, but nothing ever happens.

Even as of December, Mackanin said he’s “50/50” on a platoon split this year. I have no idea how that can even be undecided at this point given the supporting data.

• Steve

January 19, 2016 01:26 PM

You’re right, the fans have been waiting for a platoon, but i still think there was pressure, or at least motivation, to try and showcase Howard with the hope that he would get hot and peak another team’s interest. That is pretty irrelevant now, so if his performance is not good, I don’t see them forcing him into the line-up daily.
        I think Mackanin and co. have to take that stance until the season starts and they see who is playing better. Its not like Ruf is an all-star, and it’s very possible that Howard significantly outperforms Ruf comming out of spring training. Why would he automatically start saying in December that he might decrease Howard’s playing time? That’s not going to help anyone perform better.

• Francisco (FC)

January 18, 2016 12:09 PM

Not really, just view Ryan Howard ABs as an opportunity for a bathroom break.

• Peter

January 19, 2016 10:17 PM

OMG – why do people and the MSM still talk about Howard. He clearly has no relevance to the franchise. It’d be good to not talk about him as a top team topic out of habit. He’s the troll of phillies baseball and should be ignored.

• Steve

January 20, 2016 12:29 PM

Because he accounts for 25 million dollars every year, and for a team that has shown no indication of going over the luxury tax threshold, that is significant, especially during the free agency period

Next ArticleLooking Forward to the 2016 Season