Phillies, Dodgers Agree on Chase Utley Trade

I really can’t believe I just typed those words. But yes, it seems Chase Utley will be traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com and Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports. The return to the Phillies is two (as yet unidentified) minor leaguers. The Dodgers will take on about $2 million of the $6 million left on Utley’s deal.

The trade isn’t final, and will be subject to review of players’ medical records. But at this point, it seems Chase Utley can pack his bags and head for Dodger Stadium, which I can unfortunately see from my office window. It’s been a difficult season for Phillies fans, and particularly because things finally seem to be looking up for the franchise, the trade of the second-best position player in team history is a bitter pill to swallow. Chase Utley is a Hall of Fame-caliber player, and it’ll be a long time before the franchise sees another player quite like him. We’ll have a series of Chase Utley Retrospective posts for you to cry over in the coming days.

At last, Vin Scully can finally utter the words he’s been longing to say: “Rollins to Utley to Gonzalez for the double play.”

1. Tim

August 19, 2015 04:19 PM

God damn it.

• ryan

August 19, 2015 04:33 PM

Fuck
      Fuck
      Fuck

2. Beez Nutz

August 19, 2015 04:35 PM

I’m happy, sorry. Commence with the “negatives”, but I’m happy.

Nothing against the man, he’ll always be one of my favs.

• Rob

August 19, 2015 06:02 PM

Me too. He’s my favorite Phillie ever, but it’s time.

3. Chris S.

August 19, 2015 04:36 PM

This doesn’t even seem real. Guess I will be rooting for the Dodgers to win the WS for Utley and Rollins.

4. rlh1004

August 19, 2015 04:44 PM

Is this real life?

5. rlh1004

August 19, 2015 04:48 PM

“Chase Utley, you are THE MAN!”

6. Ryan

August 19, 2015 04:52 PM

so…so…sad

As far as teams that I wanted to root for, pretty near the bottom but at least it wasn’t the Yankees.

• Greg

August 19, 2015 05:45 PM

At least it wasn’t the Giants.

• ASK

August 20, 2015 05:43 AM

Which team that’s in contention did you want it to be? I am glad it’s not the Mets, Nats, Cardinals, Pirates, Giants or Yankees. I’m not even sure I would have been happy with the Cubs. I guess it would have been better if he had gone to a team like the Blue Jays, Royals, Astros or Angels, but I would actually like to see Chase and Jimmy eliminate teams like the Giants, Cardinals and whichever team wins the NL East.

• Eddie

August 20, 2015 04:45 PM

ISTM if peoiple really appreciate Utley, they’d be happy for him. This was his choice.He’s going to play with Rollins for the team that both of them grew up rooting for.

When one of your friends gets a great job in another city, the classy thing to do is be happy for him and wish him success.

7. rlh1004

August 19, 2015 04:55 PM

This is really the only thing that could have happened to make me root for the Dodgers (other than a series against the giants or yankees).

8. GB

August 19, 2015 08:12 PM

Sad day for the past and us fans, but a wonderful development for the future and continuing evidence the Phillies are finally learning lessons and getting serious about the full on rebuild. Good luck, Chase – thanks for all the great memories and your example of what a Phillie player should be.

9. Romus

August 20, 2015 07:23 AM

Icons…….one of two things can happen,
    …they retire, which is happy and sad together , ie Jeter……or the other……trade or released…which sad and disappointing.

Next ArticleChase Utley's Indelible Mark on the Phillies, Baseball