Crashburn Alley and ESPN Have Parted Ways

In 2009, Crashburn Alley was a one-man blog. Around the end of the regular season, former ESPN writer and current FOX Sports contributor Rob Neyer contacted me asking if I’d like to join a network of blogs he was starting called Sweet Spot. As Neyer was one of my favorite writers growing up, this was a wonderful compliment and I couldn’t have said yes any faster. Thanks to the exposure ESPN provided us, as well as Neyer’s (and, later, David Schoenfield’s) guiding hand, Crashburn Alley became what it is today and I couldn’t be happier.

Four and a half years later, Crashburn Alley and ESPN have decided to part ways. Without going into any details, it was simply time to move on. We hope this doesn’t impact your decision to make Crashburn Alley a regular part of your daily web-surfing routine. There will be no changes for you — the only difference is that the navigation bar at the top, which directed you to the other Sweet Spot blogs, is now gone.

I’d like to thank Rob Neyer and David Schoenfield as well as the many people at ESPN who had to put up with us over the years.

Crashburn Alley the blog is now a free agent. Business inquiries can be sent to CrashburnAlley [at] gmail [dot] com.

1. TomG

May 14, 2014 01:07 PM

Congratudolences?

2. Anonymous

May 14, 2014 01:48 PM

Bill – For whatever it’s worth, I suggest collaborating with Philadelphia Magazine (www.phillymag.com). They have elevated their Birds 24/7 section to its own elite brand in the Philadelphia sports scene. I see many parallels between their use of both advanced statistics and video footage to your site’s offering of SABR analysis and scouting reports.

Just a thought.

3. Brad

May 14, 2014 06:01 PM

A free agent, huh? Call RAJ, he’ll give you a deal for two years longer and millions more than anyone else will offer.

4. George Callanan

May 14, 2014 06:04 PM

Bill sorry about ESPN leaving. You and the team of bloggers do a great job. One thing about Philly fans is we might be critical but we are loyal. Crashburn Alley is as Philly as Cheese steaks, we can’t get enough it. Keep cranking out the blogs and we will be there for you. Even though we all agree to disagree. If we didn’t act this way we would not be Philly. George

• Mark66

May 14, 2014 07:14 PM

agree 1,000%

• Carmine Spellane

May 15, 2014 08:55 AM

Me too. Bill, you and your team are “must reading” for me, and nothing changes. Thanks for the intelligent and enlightening articles, and thanks to the readers here for posts that are sometimes funny, sometimes critical, but still civil.

5. Rob

May 14, 2014 10:29 PM

I don’t know how much traffic ESPN drove your way but to me it was never more than a bar at the top of the page. Hopefully this won’t impact you too badly.

6. Bob

May 14, 2014 11:40 PM

I’m guessing the ESPN (TM) decided to start charging a fee and you told them to go pound sand. Good for you. Like the Worldwide Leader (TM) needs any more money when the majority of my cable bill comprises its programming, which is as far as I can tell 90% football, 8% LeBron and 2% Tiger Woods who rarely plays anymore. ESPN.com (TM)’s articles are vanilla and lack any semblance of a real opinion. Reading the few that I do is a chore. I do like how accessible it makes boxscores. Very convenient.

• Bill Baer

May 15, 2014 05:20 AM

haha, they didn’t ask for any money. It would have been nice if they helped out with site hosting fees at all though.

7. Reality

May 15, 2014 01:07 AM

ESPN sucks.

• George Callanan

May 15, 2014 07:28 AM

ESPN is not even a sports network anymore. They remind me of Entertainment Tonight. I like following sports because it helps me escape the negative news all the time. Whenever I turn ESPN on its more about politics and less about sports. That is fine for national news. They should change their name to ENPN. I am so turned off by them I do not turn them on much. Plus they favor what they cover the NBA and soccer. Losing them is no loss.

8. Tom

May 15, 2014 08:00 AM

Clearly a result of your lack of michael sam coverage.

9. Francisco (FC)

May 15, 2014 11:43 AM

Ruben wants to know if you can pitch.

10. Bubba0101

May 15, 2014 12:26 PM

ESPN is pop culture. It isnt really sports anymore. Im glad you got out before they leached away any of the responsible sports reporting that goes on here.

11. Mac

May 15, 2014 01:20 PM

One less reason to visit ESPN!

12. Ben

May 16, 2014 02:06 PM

Good for you- I am betting they tried to control your content to give more coverage to the NBA and NFL draft, Tiger, Lebron, Manziel, Sterling, twitter posts and whatever is the new drama of the day.

Either that or you had something good to say about hockey. I cannot remember the last time I saw ESPN analyze plays, show how pre-pitch positioning led to defensive plays that did not require Web Gems in order to get an out, or even analyze a manager’s in game decisions (less Yankees Sawks, of course).

Good luck in all your endeavors and I will continue to read.

13. Dustin

May 18, 2014 02:32 AM

Sorry for you guys, but still on my regular reading routine. Keep doing good work.

Next ArticleGraph of the Intermittent Time Period