Crashburn Alley Is Looking for Writers

As the title says, I’m looking to bring on one or two writers to contribute to Crashburn Alley. If you’re knowledgeable about the Phillies with a passion for writing on at least a weekly basis, read further.

With Eric Longenhagen soon moving to Arizona, I’ll be looking for someone to fill the Minor League guru role. Those with a deep knowledge of the Phillies’ Minor League system will be given preference. If you fancy yourself a whiz on Minor League affairs, be sure to point that out when you email me.

Other criteria I’m looking for, non-prospect guru division:

• Available to contribute at least one article per week, preferably two
  • Currently enrolled in college or completed college (focus is not particularly relevant; I just don’t want to hire writers still in high school — nothing personal, high schoolers.)
  • Experience with using WordPress and blogging in general (e.g. embedding data tables and images)
  • Knowledge of the basics of HTML and CSS (not a requirement, but preferred)
  • Familiarity with social media, particularly Twitter
  • Strong grasp of Sabermetric concepts (if you’ve read Tom Tango’s “The Book” and understood most of it, you should be fine)
  • Familiarity with statistical concepts such as “small sample size” and the ability to use spreadsheets to organize data

The position is non-paying. However, you will be contributing to an ESPN-partnered site, which looks great in a writer’s portfolio Most of the writers to have passed through Crashburn Alley have gone on to take on other, often bigger writing roles that do pay. You will also have the opportunity to participate in ESPN group projects if/when they pop up, and the availability to contribute to the Sweet Spot blog directly (which pays), depending on the level of mutual interest. Your work at Crashburn Alley will be read by thousands every day.

If you are interested, send an email to CrashburnAlley [at] gmail [dot] com with a relevant subject. Introduce yourself a bit, and highlight your strengths that you think make you a good fit here. Resumes are fine, but not required — organize the details as you see fit. Include relevant details such as your Twitter handle, your blog URL, and any work you may have done elsewhere that highlights your skills. Attach a writing sample of any length on any Phillies-related topic of your choosing. Assume it will get posted on the site to be read by all publicly.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

1. Boo-urns

April 30, 2014 03:44 PM

So, how much money do you make from this site that you’re asking people to work for free?
    Why do people think that creatives (writers, designers, musicians, etc.) are OK with working for nothing? Would you ask your trash collector to work for free? How about your dentist? Your auto mechanic? Of course not.

Pay your damn writers.

• Eric Longenhagen

April 30, 2014 03:47 PM

Uh…pretty sure Bill loses money running the site.

• Ryan Sommers

April 30, 2014 04:17 PM

I don’t handle the finances but the last document I saw suggested that Crashburn brings in as much as negative thirty bucks per month (expenses are hosting fees plus Burger King)

• hk

April 30, 2014 04:27 PM

I rather enjoy the free content. Thanks, Bill (and the other writers). Boo-urns, are you suggesting that you are ready to pay to read the postings on this blog?

• MattWinks

April 30, 2014 04:30 PM

I don’t “work” for Bill, but I can tell you that most sites running free content are not paying their writer and those running those sites are paying out of pocket to keep them up (I am certainly losing money on Phuture Phillies). If you think the writers should be paid, ask yourself how much you would contribute to paying them (and if you are willing to pay, I would suggest making a donation to the sites you visit for free).

• Bill Baer

April 30, 2014 05:02 PM

You’re absolutely right, actually. As someone who is pro-worker/pro-union, I don’t like the trend of increased unpaid internships and people working for exposure rather than money. However, it’s unfortunately how this site and others like it survive. As much as I dislike the system, I exist within it and am at the moment powerless to change it.

I pay hosting and site upkeep fees out of pocket, and ESPN doesn’t help out monetarily. ESPN doesn’t pay the SweetSpot writers; only if they contribute articles directly to the ESPN SweetSpot blog itself.

Also, because I don’t pay my writers, I don’t demand that they publish content on any kind of a regular basis. They write at their own convenience, with almost full editorial control.

The site continues to run because I enjoy what we do here, and I make just enough money off of advertisements that I can afford the upkeep fees.

• Jerry Anthony Giampetro

April 30, 2014 05:44 PM

Bill,

Does the writing only count after an applicant meets all of the listed criteria first? For example, your requirement calls for a full knowledge of Sabermetric concepts. Assuming that this eliminates me, is there any chance to contribute a guest article?

I realize that you’re busy and won’t waste your time by applying. I’ve worked to develop my own niche, and that means I write from the view point of a baseball man. The concept is to present a realistic view of what has happened or will happen. I’m only looking for a larger audience.

Is it possible for someone to read an article I have already published on April 24 to see if there is any interest for future reviews?

Thank you.

• Bill Baer

April 30, 2014 06:16 PM

I will review guest articles any time, just send them to my email. I can’t guarantee that it will get published but you can certainly try.

• Rob

April 30, 2014 06:39 PM

You shouldn’t even compare this to an unpaid internship. This isn’t a for profit corporation or a situation where anyone at all is getting paid. There are major online publications that pay their writers mostly or entirely in “exposure,” but that’s not this site. This is something you guys produce and we read for enjoyment. That was an absurd comment telling you to pay your writers.

• Bill Baer

April 30, 2014 07:27 PM

Rob, I disagree. If I had the means to pay everyone who has contributed here, I would. I feel bad that I can’t. In any event, beers are certainly on me should I see any of them out in the real world.

• Jerry Anthony Giampetro

April 30, 2014 07:34 PM

Bill,

You are very efficient in the decision-making process, which means that an acceptance or rejection should take one week or two weeks.

Since it is not possible to reply to every submission, which above time period or other time period is the most realistic for a guest submission?

Thank you.

• Bill Baer

April 30, 2014 07:40 PM

Jerry, it depends on a lot of things.
        – If we need guest submissions
        – If the guest submission is of high quality
        – If the submission is relevant to current topics
        – The amount of other simultaneous guest submissions
        – My own schedule, which is variable from week to week

I recognize your name and I think you had sent in a guest piece before. If I didn’t reply back to you, I apologize.

• TomG

May 01, 2014 08:50 AM

” Beers are certainly on me should I see any of them [CrAl'y writers] out in the real world”.

Whoa, way to bury the lede, man! Why wasn’t this mentioned in the body of the ad?

But wait. What kind of beer? If you’re talking Coors Light you go back to the top of the hit list come the Workers’ Revolution as one of History’s Greatest Monsters.

(Also: I, for one, was saying “Boo!” not “Boo-urns!” to that original comment.)

• Bill Baer

May 01, 2014 09:05 AM

Well, Tom, if you enjoy what you read here AND you’d prefer the writers get paid, then you and others can donate money and direct advertisers our way. But I’ve never been big on begging for donations, and I only allow advertisements here that are unobtrusive — for your enjoyment.

I’m not holding anyone here at gunpoint. The writers choose to contribute content because the benefits outweigh the time investment, even without any immediate money being made.

• TomG

May 01, 2014 09:35 AM

I do enjoy what I read here, and while I won’t say I “prefer” that the writers get paid -because I realize your current business model probably makes that next to impossible – I will say that I’m cool with their sharing in any unexpected windfall; and I’d be more than happy to make a contribution to that windfall.

In other words, where do I send my donation? (I looked and didn’t see that info on the site, though it’s possible I missed it.) Keep in mind I don’t have a Paypal account (or Bitcoin, for that matter, because I’m not a Randian) because I do have a wife who is suspicious of such things.

I assume you have my email address since I have to provide it to comment so … feel free to email me telling me where to send the check. I’ll have it in the mail toot sweet, as they say in whatever land speaks pidgin French (probably Louisiana).

2. Beez Nutz

April 30, 2014 04:47 PM

When did people in the country become so offended / reluctant to start from the bottom and work their way to something they want in life… good lord man

• Oliver

April 30, 2014 05:23 PM

Probably when they were at the bottom and needed more than an unpaid gig to support themselves…

• Ted

April 30, 2014 08:40 PM

The key word here being *work*… people get paid to work. That’s how you get ahead. Working for free for so-called “exposure” is *always* a sucker bet.

• Bill Baer

April 30, 2014 08:53 PM

Just so there is no confusion: Ted is “Beez Nuts” — same IP address. Not sure if he’s actually trying to spoof someone else in agreement or just signed in on a different device.

• Ted

May 01, 2014 12:27 PM

I am most certainly not Beez Nuts, not sure where you got that from… and if you notice, I am in DISagreement with Beez.

You might want to re-check that IP address thingy…

• Beez Nutz

May 01, 2014 05:24 PM

Yeah sorry Bill, I’m not Ted…. sorry man

• Bill Baer

May 01, 2014 06:12 PM

@ Beez

i.imgur.com/rUUqRZx.png

(I cropped out the middle numbers and the email addresses for your safety. They are exactly the same.)

Maybe you guys are using the same wifi?

EDIT: Just realized I mis-read. I meant boo-urns and Ted are the same. Sorry Beez.

• Mike Lacy

May 01, 2014 09:48 PM

Untrue. I began writing for free, and was able to parlay that into a paid gig. That’s generally the way the blogging world works. You’ve got to prove yourself first, and Bill is offering someone a chance to do that.

Based on my knowledge of online revenue, I don’t think Bill is raking in massive profits on the backs of the unpaid writers.

• Beez Nutz

May 02, 2014 08:22 AM

hahha .. no worries, Bill. Thanks for clearing up

3. bob dernier

April 30, 2014 07:10 PM

thanks for the offer, bill…but I have a lot going on right now and cannot devote the couple hours or so a week it would take to write on this site.

check back with me in November.

4. Bob

April 30, 2014 09:36 PM

I’ll do it. I don’t do social networking though. I recognize it exists but don’t tweet.

5. Nehi

April 30, 2014 10:13 PM

If your looking fer someone to right blogs for yous, im your guy on the job.

6. adam

May 01, 2014 02:40 PM

Bill, I’m sure if you put up a donation link or subtly mentioned how much the posting and host fees were for the month, we free loading regular readers would gladly contribute to some to the bill. i for one greatly enjoy the content and living outside of the philadelphia area, I can’t get enough of phillies talk and regularly partake as part of my daily reading. I don’t think its right for someone to actually be losing money for what you’re providing for us fans.

7. Ted

May 02, 2014 08:46 AM

Funny, ’cause I’m not Boo either… but I guess he or she must be here in the same small office.

[Squints eyes and looks suspiciously around the room, landing on a likely suspect.]

Next ArticleCole Hamels "Embarrassed" By Tuesday's Start