Phillies Alter Fate with New Clubhouse Signs

MLB.com‘s Todd Zolecki just tweeted this:

Beats optimizing roster construction through the development of a healthy Minor League system, the prudent use of team resources, and taking advantage of the latest and greatest advances in technology and data collection. Because, really, what good is a 95-win team with a new World Series trophy if each player can’t look himself in the mirror and say, “I respected the game, was the ultimate teammate, and played the game the right way”?

1. Chris S.

March 28, 2014 05:09 PM

Hey if it gets the Phillies to win 95 games this year while not selling the farm at the deadline those signs would make me a very happy man.

2. Chuck

March 28, 2014 06:14 PM

Be the Ultimate Teammate by bad mouthing your former teammates in your hof speech.

3. impermanence

March 28, 2014 06:25 PM

Well, at least it’s not like the Phillies have a monopoly on major league baseball in Philadelphia and can charge whatever prices they wish regardless of how poor their product is.

Oh, well maybe it is.

If billionaires are involved, you know there are corrupted markets [cartels] ripping people to shreds.

4. Matt

March 28, 2014 10:16 PM

To quote the late John Vukovich, “get out the pom-poms”.

5. bak425

March 28, 2014 10:39 PM

Maybe I’m cynical, but I suspect those signs induced significant eye-rolling.

• The fish

March 28, 2014 11:52 PM

It’s hokey, but this team has a serious problem with self assessment, from the gm to the vets. The signs are clearly Sanbergs doing- and while I agree with Zolecki’s criticisms, Sandberg seems the most open to using young talent and receptive to technology and data. To the eye rollers in the clubhouse- well, regardless of what you’ve achieved your value is no longer on this team. If your salary is to large to move, your playing time isn’t. The Phils can be a 5th place team with or without you. The difference is how interesting they are to wattch and how much hope there is or isn’t for next year.

• The fish

March 28, 2014 11:54 PM

Sorry, I realized those weren’t Zolecki’s criticisms after my post.

6. BeninDC

March 29, 2014 03:23 PM

Bill, your sarcasm is so misplaced. I mean, by respecting the game, perhaps Sandberg means understanding data about what the opposition is more or less likely to do in a given circumstance. Who knows, using data, respecting data and reminding your players to look at fangraphs before every game to figure our trends of the opposition and where, through spray charts, they are most likely to hit the ball would be an unequivocally good thing, right? Maybe they win a couple extra games by studying and analyzing data like its their job, and respecting the game that way.

Honestly, you can’t really be all that bothered about being a good teammate. These guys have to live with each other for the better part of six months. I mean, all our wives should probably put up the same sign in our homes if it reminds us not to be dicks. And if being a good teammate means studying fangraphs and getting a degree in econometrics, then… well… see above.

And finally, perhaps playing the game the right way means optimizing the batting order, remembering to employ shifts and doing everything you want them to do. I mean, it really is vague enough to mean whatever anyone wants it to mean. So, are these signs really that insidious? Or are they mostly something that can be ignored and not another piece of data to indict a team that hasn’t actually played a game yet.

7. Mike

March 30, 2014 02:28 AM

I’m generally a fan of this blog, but this post really rubs me the wrong way. I’m not really clear why anybody would take issue with these signs. Does the club putting up some fairly standard bits of sports motivation flair in the clubhouse somehow preclude them from doing all the things you want them to do?

Seems like a complete non-issue to me, completely unworthy of the snark that is this post.

• Bill Baer

March 30, 2014 07:08 AM

It’s a meaningless way of addressing a systemic problem. It’s insulting to adults, or even kids past elementary school. The specific criticisms mentioned in the post have been addressed here previously.

Next ArticlePhillies Acquire Infielder Jayson Nix from the Rays