Report: Comcast SportsNet will hire Jamie Moyer and Matt Stairs to join the broadcast booth

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com is reporting that Comcast SportsNet will announce the addition of former Phillies Jamie Moyer and Matt Stairs to the TV broadcast team as early as tomorrow.

This confirms rumors that have been swirling over the past two weeks. CSN initially sought one candidate to replace both Chris Wheeler and Gary Matthews, but were apparently impressed by Stairs and Moyer during their interviews enough to hire both.

It remains to be seen how the booth will be arranged — if Tom McCarthy, Moyer, and Stairs will call all nine innings together, or if there will be a timeshare not unlike the arrangement with Wheeler and Matthews.

As a spectator, the 2014 season should be interesting, seeing how the two new additions handle life in the booth and what kind of insight they provide on a daily basis. Moyer seems like he would be some straight, level-headed analysis, while Stairs seems like he would provide more anecdotal entertainment.

Update:

1. nik

February 11, 2014 02:01 PM

Hopefully they’ll do a 3 man rotation and take McCarthy out from time to time.

2. Jim

February 11, 2014 02:25 PM

They should have all three together

3. cantorsf

February 11, 2014 02:34 PM

I would rather see Moyer as their pitching coach ,but I’m happy he’s back on Philly.

4. ES

February 11, 2014 02:37 PM

ass…hammered.

5. hungry4ppl

February 11, 2014 02:57 PM

Does anyone else find it strange that they replaced Wheels with an older man with a dry personality that knows a lot about how baseball was analyzed 20-30 years ago and Sarge with a fat, former player primarily known for his power that maybe has better stories than baseball acumen and that only played a few seasons with the Phillies towards the end of his career? I feel like the organization’s ability to self-evaluate and fix the problems is really showing here.

• Brian

February 11, 2014 03:46 PM

I am kind of getting a “the more things change, the more they stay the same” vibe from this, yes.

• Jargon

February 11, 2014 04:06 PM

I think the “knows a lot about how baseball was analyzed 20-30 years ago” comment is premature, his best years were late in his career and we really don’t know how much or little use he made of advanced analytics in his vaunted pregame study. I’ll give him a chance.

• Micah

February 12, 2014 12:40 PM

I think it’s important to point out as well that this is a Comcast hire, not a Phillies hire. Phils upper management, while perhaps having something of a voice in the Comcast board room, is not the one making the hire/fire decisions. So it’s not actually fair to compare this move to moves that the organization makes on players and coaches, however similar the decisions may be.

6. jonny 5

February 11, 2014 03:21 PM

EVERYONE loves Stairs and Moyer. I hope this new gig doesn’t change that. BTW thank goodness Mitch Williams did NOT get this job. He annoys me every time I hear him speak.

7. Jeff

February 11, 2014 03:45 PM

Hopefully the threesome ends as a twosome, with McCarthy on the outside.

8. Scott G

February 11, 2014 04:50 PM

Am I the only person who doesn’t love Moyer? He was never really anything spectacular. His 2-year extension after the World Series also was a foolish signing. Not sure I should blame Moyer for that, but I think I subconsciously do.

• Tony

February 11, 2014 06:09 PM

He’s a local guy, he pitched a gritty 6+ innings with a stomach virus, and he always gave decent interview. He was never an ace, but they never paid him like an ace, either. I think he’ll do a decent job as an analyst, and as much as people hate Wheels, there’s the addition by subtraction factor as well. (I actually thought Wheels was fine, and would certainly have kept him around instead of bringing on Stone Cold Matt Stairs, but I get why people didn’t like his schtick as well.)

• Tony

February 11, 2014 06:10 PM

He’s a local guy, he pitched a gritty 6+ World Series innings with a stomach virus, and he always gave decent interview. He was never an ace, but they never paid him like an ace, either. I think he’ll do a decent job as an analyst, and as much as people hate Wheels, there’s the addition by subtraction factor as well. (I actually thought Wheels was fine, and would certainly have kept him around instead of bringing on Stone Cold Matt Stairs, but I get why people didn’t like his schtick as well.)

9. Bob Spera

February 11, 2014 09:15 PM

Both are good choices. They should timeshare the innnings. Rotate each game 3/3/3 innings each back and forth like, but unlike, Wheeler and Sarge did it. In other words give Moyer 6 innings and Stairs 3 one game, and then Stairs 6 and Moyer 3 the next game. Give Moyer the opportunity to give the pitching perpective of the said game. Stairs the hitting. I think this arrangement will be very entertaining to the viewers.

• Jim Dwyer aka The Ragin Cajun

February 13, 2014 12:13 AM

I love Gary Matthews(Sarge),and he will be missed by me.He possesses an inimitable charm and approach to the game.Seems like not too long ago that I was cheering him on in the field.Jim Dwyer aka The Ragin Cajun.

10. Rosemary Brandolini

February 13, 2014 05:20 AM

I either attend the Phillies game or watch it on TV regularly. I, however, have friends who listen to the radio broardcasts rather then TV while watching. I am sure they will enjoy the new faces in the booth. I, too, am looking forward to these additions. If Moyer and Stairs bring to the booth the enthusiasm they had playing everyone will welcome the change.

11. John Gargiulo

March 02, 2014 02:25 PM

Come on they suck. TMac is all u need and they f–k Chris Wheeler. Fired Amaro he’s put together the AARP TEAM.

Next ArticleRyan Madson and the Arm That Was