Phillies to Re-sign Carlos Ruiz, 3 years, $26 million

The omniscient, bow-tie wearing Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports is reporting that the Phillies have re-upped with free agent catcher, Carlos Ruiz. Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia inquirer has tweeted that the deal will be worth $26 million over three years. Ruiz, who turns 35 in January, hit .268/.320/.368 in 2013 during a season cut short by a hamstring injury and a 25 game suspension for use of a banned substance. Ruiz is the first domino to fall in a relatively deep catching market. More to come as this story develops.

Update: Gelb is also reporting that the deal includes a clup option fourth year in 2017, when Ruiz will be 38 years old. Jayson Stark has tweeted that the annual value of the deal is $8.5mil for the first three years and a $4.5mil option in the fourth with a $500,00 buyout. The Phillies continue to move quickly this offseason, which is probably good since most of the players they’re targeting are likely to die sooner than the other players on the market.

1. Bubba0101

November 18, 2013 03:58 PM

Again, HK, good point. All these terrible Amaro signings have clouded my judgement somewhat and made me gun shy on longterm deals. I just dont trust the guy to improve our team in any significant way at this point.

2. Bubba0101

November 18, 2013 04:25 PM

I also made sure to say oft injured, not injury prone. A 29 year old lead off type hitter with good fielding skills and some pop would have been the only long term contract that made sense. As soon as he lost a step in center he could move to right and still provide above average D. I would have preferred Choo for 4 years but that market soared recently as hes looking for 6/100 mil now. Ill be happy to grab Bronson Arroyo as our fourth starter and two solid bullpen arms. You know Arroyo will get three years if he signs with the phils and each bullpen arm will (hopefully only) get 2 year deals.

3. Pencilfish

November 18, 2013 05:08 PM

hk,

Agreed. The 3rd year is a negative, but I *speculate* here that RAJ gave in to Ruiz’s agent to get a quick deal (like he did with Byrd) because he has too many other (more urgent?) issues to deal with, such as coaching vacancies (Joyner left the Phillies…again), pitching (SP and RP), a possible trade for an impact OF, decide to whom he will offer arbitration next month, etc. This is why I said he’s not done yet.

4. Pencilfish

November 18, 2013 05:52 PM

hk, Bubba,

Elsbury’s agent is Scott Boras. I believe the Phillies do not have a good working relationship with Boras (ie, the J. D. Drew mess in 1997, Werth let go in 2010 and Madson let go in 2011), so I would be surprised if the Phillies agree to the outrageous deals Boras typically secures for his clients.

Boras is Choo’s agent, too.

This is one more reason I think RAJ will explore the trade market for an OF this off-season.

November 18, 2013 06:41 PM

Pencilfish,

I doubt Boras would allow any animosity from past dealings with the Phillies to impact any negotiations for his current players. Put differently, if the Phillies were the high bidder for Ellsbury and Ellsbury wanted to get the most money possible, I am confident that Boras would have him sign with the Phillies. On the other hand, if RAJ chooses not to negotiate for Boras’s players because Boras is the agent, then RAJ’s being stupid.

November 18, 2013 06:42 PM

Further, Werth was “let go” because the Nats agreed to pay him $126M over 7 seasons.

7. Pencilfish

November 18, 2013 11:07 PM

hk,

I think the Phillies (not just RAJ) don’t like to negotiate with Boras. Since the J. D. Drew mess in 1997, when have they signed a Boras’ FA client? Aside from buying out some of Madson’s FA years while he was arbitration-eligible (the 3yr/12M deal he signed in 2009), I can’t think of a single one in recent years.

Right now, Dom Brown is the only Phillies player represented by Boras. If Brown blossoms as we hope, I will be following very closely negotiations between Boras and the Phillies on any extension that buys out some of Brown’s FA years.

I admit this is all speculative, but when I look at the number of Boras clients on the Nats (six) and the Phillies (one), I think my speculation has legs.

November 19, 2013 05:25 PM

Pencilfish,

I agree. It sure seems as though the Phillies don’t like to negotiate with Boras. I doubt that the feeling is mutual. If our mutual supposition is correct, I believe that it is stupid of the front office to avoid Boras and his clients.

As it pertains to Dom, I believe that Boras rarely extends his players prior to free agency unless the player wants an extension. Therefore, I suspect that Dom will be here through his arbitration years if he and the team are both good. If Dom is good, but the team is not, I suspect he’ll be traded before he reaches free agency.

9. Bob

November 20, 2013 02:54 PM

Another distressing thing is that the Phillies project to have the same starting line up in 2015 as well. We’ll have Rollins, Utley, Howard, Byrd, and Chooch under contract. Plus team control of Asche, Brown, and Revere. Say hello to your 2015 Phillies.

10. KH

November 20, 2013 03:44 PM

According to some Bob RAJ apparently believes that group can contend for a play-off spot if everything breaks right. I personally see a 75-80 win team.

11. Pencilfish

November 20, 2013 10:44 PM

Bob, KH,

2015 is eons away, and you are forgetting about Franco. I don’t think RAJ is done with 2014 either. Trades can happen. See the Fielder/Kinsler swap that just went down tonight.

Next ArticleSome Thoughts on the Carlos Ruiz Contract