Programming Note

The baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint, they say. It’s true. For me, I’ve been covering seven marathons since I started this website. In the time since, I’ve added various responsibilities covering those marathons wearing different hats. After the 2013 season, past six years of covering baseball without stopping to catch my breath, I am officially burned out.

Don’t worry, I just need a small break. I’m taking one now, for two weeks. I’m leaving the site in the capable hands of the remaining four, and I’m taking a break from my writing responsibilities with ESPN and NBC’s HardballTalk for two weeks as well. I am not going to write a single article, though some will continue to be posted in my name as I had written them towards the end of October. Gonna recharge the ol’ batteries, you know? Then I’ll come back on the 15th ready to cover the off-season in kick-ass fashion as you’ve grown used to over the years here.

I have three requests for you, the loyal Crashburn readers: 1) keep the place tidy while I’m gone, 2) treat the remaining four well, and 3) leave me some feedback here in the comments. What would you like to see covered here specifically? It can be a trade idea, a potential free agent signing, roster gymnastics, etc. Is there anything you’d like to see added to the website in terms of functionality? If you have any comments, concerns, ideas, questions, etc., leave them below. I’ll come back on the 15th to read and consider every single one.

Thanks. I’ll miss you.

1. ap

November 01, 2013 07:17 AM

So Bill is apologizing for taking a 2 week vacation after the world series? With the excuse that he needs to “recharge the ol’ batteries”? Further evidence for the theory that you are a computer.

2. bubba0101

November 01, 2013 07:40 AM

Bill, this may not come from you but I would like a more-full report and analysis of Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. I understand that people my not have seen all they need to see in order to write said more-full report but when that information is available, I think it is very important. Especially for people like me that have in my head that this guy is going to slot in as our #3 to start the season in 2014. Have a good break!

3. John

November 01, 2013 11:26 AM

Enjoy the break. Would love to see the concept of “clutch” tackled from an intellectual standpoint, especially in regards to the post-season. I 100% agree that “clutch” is often a lazy narrative by writers and television talking heads, and is often used as in direct opposition to advanced metrics.

However, I do believe that the psychological impact of a big moment effects players differently. Most would probably conceed that players might shrink in a big moment. Maybe “clutch” players, for the sake of this argument let’s use David Ortiz, don’t outperform their regular season/career numbers, but perhaps they aren’t as terrified of that moment as their competition is.

If the output of a player can be measured by OPS+ and other metrics, maybe “clutch” really means not sucking as much as other players on the biggest stage. Similarly, a player more psychologically capable of matching their playoff numbers to their normal output may also be able to capitalize on the mistakes of their struggling opponent.

Maybe this is too deep a topic but would love to see an initial attempt. Thanks.

4. wooddt

November 01, 2013 03:26 PM

Always enjoy your work Bill. Enjoy the much deserved time off!

5. JM

November 01, 2013 07:35 PM

What would a trade for price cost?

6. WayneKerrins

November 03, 2013 01:21 PM

I like the info on Pitchers’ and base runners’ times. A more in depth analysis of our roster and any noteworthy trends ( eg I’d love to see Rollins’ and Chase’s data for the last 3 seasons.

Also there is a lot of, good, content, on players’ value vis a vis contract. But I’ve seen next to nothing on the macro effects of a poorly performing team on the organizations revenue which would provide context to a should we spend xx on a Free Agent discussions?

Enjoy the break

7. Oliver

November 04, 2013 02:38 PM

Coming out west for Blizzcon?

8. Vince

November 06, 2013 10:44 AM

I really love the site and all the work you guys do, you deserve the break.

I do have a functionality suggestion however. It would be nice to be able to go form one post to the next without having to go back to the front page.

Next ArticleCrash Bag, Vol. 78: Ted Williams Shift