Plays of the Year: Where Does Ben Revere’s Catch Rank?
Ben Revere set the bar for defense very high very early on in the season, making this catch against the Cincinnati Reds:
But there were quite a few impressive plays made by other defenders throughout the year, creating competition for the best defensive play of 2013.
For example, Orioles third baseman Manny Machado turned this lump of coal into a diamond at Yankee Stadium on July 7:
Brewers center fielder made a game-saving and game-ending catch against the Reds, robbing Joey Votto of a home run:
Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons turned what was destined to be an infield single deep in the hole between third and short into an out:
Best defensive play of the year?
- Ben Revere’s grab against the Reds (62%, 85 Votes)
- Jose Iglesias’ flip (17%, 23 Votes)
- Carlos Gomez’s game-ending catch (11%, 15 Votes)
- Manny Machado’s long throw against the Yankees (9%, 12 Votes)
- Andrelton Simmons’ play in the hole (1%, 2 Votes)
- Other (0%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 138