Michael Young Memories

I was going through tweets I had favorited a while ago when I came across this Ken Rosenthal column from before the season. Rosenthal talks about the challenges the Phillies defense had to face, and included some great quotes.

Enjoy.

“Everyone tells me, ‘You have no range,’ ” new Philadelphia Phillies third baseman Michael Young says. “I’m like, ‘That’s not true. I move well. I have good feet. I have good hands.’ So, something’s amiss here.”

Young thinks he has figured out the problem: He was too high in his setup, leading to his first step being too slow and balls rocketing by him. This spring, he is working to stay lower, and in his view the difference is noticeable.

“My first step is a lot more explosive than it used to be,” Young says.

1. Matt

September 27, 2013 04:27 PM

You terrible human being. Nobody wants to remember anything about Michael Young.

2. Rodger

September 27, 2013 09:00 PM

I am completely tired of the Michael Young bashing. What a bunch of cheap shot Charlies Phils fans have become.

Compare 2013 fielding among top teams in NL at 3rd base.

Phills M Young 9 errors
    Nata R. Zimmerman 21 errors
    Braves C. Johnson 13 errors
    Reds T. Frazier 9 errors
    Pirates P. Alvarez 27 errors
    Cardinals D. Freese 11 errors
    Dodgers J. Uribe 6 errors

I realize that Young did not play as many games as the others at 3rd but even so he hardly stands out as a bad fielder.

In hitting Michael was 3rd in BA, 4th in OBP, tied for 8th in SLG, 5th in OPS and had a 1.4 OWAR which tied for 4th on the Phils in 2013. He actually contributed to hitting on a team that was in dire need of it.

He is now with a team that really wanted him and is headed into the post season. His light hitting and inconsistent pitching former teammates are going home. That is a measure of his value, not the video crap in this most juvenile and reprehensible blog entry.

3. EricL

September 27, 2013 11:44 PM

Rodger, do you see the disconnect between your citing numbers of errors in Young’s defense when the whole first part of the article is talking about the lack of Young’s range?

4. Dustin

September 28, 2013 12:11 AM

Excellent collection of .gifs.

And EricL beat me to lol’ing at Rodger’s use of errors to determine defensive prowess. Uribe clearly best third baseman in the league based on errors committed.

5. LTG

September 28, 2013 08:35 AM

Dustin,

Are you mocking Uribe’s 3B defense? Cuz advanced stats puts him at the top of the league this year, both UZR and DRS. Uribe was a mediocre to bad SS, but 3B is a different beast.

6. Dustin

September 28, 2013 02:27 PM

I was just saying he had six errors, clearly making him the best. I didn’t actually look him up till now…didn’t realize he was that good at 3B.

7. Larry

September 28, 2013 02:53 PM

Only 1 of those gifs was a routine play. I’m not sure Asche could make half of those plays.

Delmon Young’s would be funnier, because he couldn’t get to the ball on a routine pop ups.

8. Dustin

September 28, 2013 07:03 PM

Bill, are you gonna write something on the Hunter Pants contract?

9. Dan K.

September 28, 2013 10:17 PM

@Larry,

As a 3B by trade, none of those plays should have been remotely difficult for a ML 3B. The first two are obvious what he did wrong, the third wasn’t a difficult play for anyone with anything resembling average range (I could have made that play, and I’m no ML player), and the last one was just stupid. No reason to try backhanding that ball. A slide to his right is all he needed to get in front of it. His reflexes obviously betrayed him, but that’s the first thing a fielder learns; keep the ball in FRONT of you.

10. Larry

September 29, 2013 01:10 AM

@ Dan K

As a 3rd baseman by trade, I’m sure you have made many misplays. I’m not a Michael Young sympathiser by any means. I was against the signing. Obviously he’s not a defensive guru like Schmidt or Rolen.

The 1st gif was not routine Dan. He had to set and throw from the 3rd base line. He had to put some extra mustard on that ball to get him out. If he routinely threw to 1st with a regular throw, he would have been safe. Even with the extra velocity it would have been a bang bang play. That’s not routine in my book.

The second gif, it looked like he was trying to throw to second base, before he had the ball cleanly in his hand. Yeah he screwed up there, but we’ve seen that happen to many players.

The 3rd gif was a difficult play, even if he fields it cleanly, it was probably an infield single. The hop was a little high, it’s a split second decision, no big deal. As I said, I’m not sure Asche makes that play.

The 4th gif was a sharply hit ball where he tried to backhand it, again in a split second play, that was not routine.

Yeah Michael Young couldn’t play 3rd like a lot of the former Phillies could, but those gifs weren’t horrible Dan, at least not what we saw from his brother from another mother, Delmon Young. Now that was horrible.

I consider the Michael Young signing like Chris Weber to the Sixers. If only 3-4 years earlier. Obviously that would have been totally different. He did give us effort, but he is well past his prime. His offense really wasn’t that bad when you consider the team offense….. I hope Asche will be a nice upgrade. I’m not sold on him yet and want to see what Franco can do. From what I’m told, Franco is better offensively but not that good at defense.

11. larry morris

September 29, 2013 11:08 AM

your obsession with michael young is pretty unhealthy, you need to move on.

Next ArticleThe Future is Unwritten: Malquin Canelo Scouting Report