Delmon Young Had A Bad Night (.gifs)

Lots of things have gone wrong for the Phillies since coming back from the All-Star break. They have lost 13 of 15 games and have kissed any of the previously-improbable odds of making a run at the post-season goodbye. Injuries have stolen Domonic Brown, Ben Revere, and Ryan Howard from the Phillies and they have been hard-pressed to replace the lost production.

The Phillies dropped last night’s nationally-televised game to the Braves 4-1, giving the Braves their tenth win in a row and the Phillies their fifth loss in a row. It was a depressing game all-around, but it was Delmon Young who ran away with the worst performance of the night. In four at-bats, he struck out four times and saw a total of 15 pitches. Those of you quick at math realize that it takes three strikes to strike out, so with four strikeouts you have 12 of your pitches gone right there, meaning Young saw only three extraneous pitches in four at-bats. It was, in the time between when you wiped the tears from the corner of your eye and your next crying fit, comical.

Let’s relive Delmon’s night together, in .gif form after the jump. The usual caveat applies: if you have a slow computer, the barrage of .gifs may bog it down, so be forewarned.

(Some of the .gifs jump right in the middle of the pitcher’s wind-up, this is because the cameras were looking at something else at the time during the broadcast.)

Bottom of the 2nd

Yeah, a ball! There will be plenty of these tonight!

Bottom of the 4th

Ugliest at-bat of the year?

Bottom of the 7th

Nice, a 2-0 count — the ball is in Delmon’s court now. What can possibly go wrong?

Bottom of the 9th

Not once, in any of these four at-bats, did Young come even remotely close to putting a ball in play. 15 pitches, seven swinging strikes.

A look at where all 15 pitches were:

The pitches Young specifically swung at:

Young, by the way, is at 285 plate appearances. 15 more and he’ll earn another $150,000 per the performance incentive in his contract.

1. yo

August 05, 2013 07:50 AM

My shoulder hurts from watching Wood’s delivery

2. nahroots

August 05, 2013 07:56 AM

MVP

3. Fantusta

August 05, 2013 07:57 AM

Those three strikes in the bottom of the seventh all look like the same pitch. Which is sad because he flailed at all of them.

4. sixerfan1220

August 05, 2013 08:02 AM

with brown coming back soon and the phillies hopefully wanting to give asche and ruf everyday at bats that should leave delmon as the odd man out unless they trade Micheal young

5. JayZeeBee

August 05, 2013 08:15 AM

Of course with dermon it’s not so much the on-field performance as the off-field intangibles that he provides which makes him such an invaluable asset.

August 05, 2013 08:30 AM

JayZeeBee,

Delmon really is the complete package, isn’t he?

7. SteveH

August 05, 2013 08:41 AM

I’m sorry to change the subject but I’m hoping someone here can remind me again why we didn’t sell ? I would say the current crop of minor leaguers couldn’t be any worse but after these past 15 games I’m not totally convinced these aren’t the minor leaguers in disguise.

8. Dristone

August 05, 2013 08:58 AM

@SteveH

Would YOU be willing to buy Delmon Young? Neither would any other GMs. There was some interest in DYoung I believe prior to the All-Star break, but that interest evaporated quickly. Other teams can see what we’ve seen.

9. joecatz

August 05, 2013 10:00 AM

Delmon is set to earn between 600k and 800k between now and his 450th PA depending on when that happens and how well he can stick to the low fat ranch dressing as chicken wing dip.

A DFA this week would make a lot of sense if Revere wasn’t hurt. That said I don’t think it happens. McDonald is the obvious DFA. with Brown shifting to RF and Ruf staying in LF. Theres not much to lose if they keep Delmon and try and get something for him, as long as they shift him to the bench. Easier said than done.

But continuing to give him at bats right now is like wiping their asses with $100 bills.

10. Brian

August 05, 2013 10:40 AM

@Brad

Charlie and Ruben obviously do, or else Donuts wouldn’t be out there.

11. Max

August 05, 2013 10:50 AM

Remember when Rube was about to DFA him then he went on his one remotely good stretch of the season and we knew there was no god or justice in the world and that we’d be stuck with him all year? Fun times…

12. SteveH

August 05, 2013 10:50 AM

@Dristone

Delmon Young is not the piece I mean when I talk about selling. I would’ve cut him weeks if not months ago. Michael Young, Ruiz and Utley would’ve been on my list and if I could’ve convinced the Red Sox to part with Bradley and more prospects I think I would’ve moved Lee too. The more I think about the Bogaerts request the more I think Ruben asked for him knowing the answer would be no so he didn’t have to make a tough decision about a deal that might’ve been doable.

13. Major Malfunction

August 05, 2013 11:23 AM

As hilarious as this is, realize that he is batting clean up on some nights. HOW HOW HOW can Manual even pencil him in there…or better yet…how can he even pencil him in the lineup? I can believe I’m saying this, but I’d rather see MiniMart out in the OF at this point.

14. larry

August 05, 2013 12:47 PM

at least he didn’t get picked off second with two on and down by 3…

15. Ginner207

August 05, 2013 03:13 PM

I’m so glad he got booed all last night.

16. Steve

August 06, 2013 06:52 AM

I have stopped watching, only time I’ll see Phils baseball from now til 2014 are the sad gifs I see here. RAJ’s inability to even cut his losses shows a serious disconnect. I would rather see castro up here than Young. I’d rather see Castro instead of mini mart. What does MM bring to the table?

August 06, 2013 11:37 AM

Let’s take the way-back machine back to Jan…

“It’s a one year deal for less than a million. (Literally) No big deal.

So they took a low risk chance on a guy who might provide some power as part of a platoon or off the bench. If he doesn’t work out, then they simply cut ties.”

“RAJ meant he’s the everyday RF if he is healthy AND outplays the competition. For $750k, I don’t think RAJ will hesitate to release him if he stinks…”

“I think DY will have a shorter leash than Qualls because: a) there’s a greater sense of urgency in 2013 after the team missed the playoffs in 2012, and b) the Phillies have other options in the OF (Ruf, Brown, Mayberry, etc).”

“DY added depth to the OF with a RH bat. Plus he can pinch hit for Howard late in games if he’s benched since Howard is an automatic out with a lefty on the mound. For his price it’s not a ‘Bad’ move.”

“I’m still not sure how bringing in a player that could potentially help your club is so derided across the board. It was a $750k signing for cripes sake! No one guaranteed him anything. Amaro was speculating what could happen if he plays well (starting right fielder).”

“With that said, I would take the D. Young stats from 2010 and I would take the D. Young stats from the 2012 post season. For $750,000 plus incentives, I don’t think it is a terrible deal.”

“I actually like the D. Young signing better than the trading for Revere. Not that I don’t like Revere – he’s OK, but I would rather have kept our prospects and waiting to see what happened during the season. No we don’t have many chips to trade and I don’t know if Revere is worth it.”

“Although I don’t think Delmon Young is the answer to all the Phillies’ problems, he is not nearly as bad as this article tries to make him look. Just compare his stats with those of BJ Upton,another eligible free agent, and I think you will get a better idea of why he is not so bad after all.”

And to conclude, one comment from yours truly:

“For $750k, we bought worm shit who is going to cause millions more damage to the team, and cause this run-challenged team to score even less runs. If I was Cole Hamels, I would spend my new found millions devising ways to make RAJ disappear for 1) killing my run support, and 2) putting worm shit in RF so that every fly ball going there becomes a double.”

I’m upset that Cole hasn’t done what I suggested. Why Cole, why???

August 06, 2013 01:34 PM

Phillie697,

Your comment turned out to be wrong, too, as the worm shit (as you put it) has cost ~$1.7M and counting. Where are all of RAJ’s defenders on this?

August 06, 2013 02:26 PM

@hk,

He’s at -0.8 fWAR, that’s roughly $4M in cost. That’s what I was referring to when I said “going to cause millions more damage to the team.”

Trust me, predicting Douchbag Young was going to suck AND get a lot of PAs while sucking was not exactly going out on a limb on my part.

August 06, 2013 02:27 PM

@hk,

August 06, 2013 03:51 PM

“Oh, you mean his actually cost in dollars. Well, I was merely suggesting that at $750K he wasn’t worth it. At $1.7M we should really just shoot ourselves.”

Yes, I meant actual dollars and I wasn’t really correcting you as much as piling on your initial sentiment, which I shared at the time of the signing.

August 06, 2013 07:33 PM

Phillie697,

While you have the way-back machine out, where are all of those people who were patting RAJ’s back for the Kyle Kendrick contract? With Kendrick reverting back to what we all pretty much felt that he was, a below average starting pitcher, which side is going to be right about the $7.5M for 2 years deal when all is said and done? KK was under team control when the extension was given, so even if you buy into that teams should pay ~$5M per WAR in free agency, that does not apply here. Teams have to get more WAR per $ from their cost controlled players than from free agents.

August 07, 2013 01:39 AM

@hk,

I think my way-back machine would break from overuse if I go back and tried to find everything :) Plus, BB doesn’t make it that easy for me to browse through old stuff, LOL.

But yes, I still chuckle when I remember all them column space and comments wasted on trying to “explain” why KK is now a better pitcher. To paraphrase Denny Green, “He is what we thought he would be!!!”

That said, while I didn’t agree with the contract, I think my comment back at that time is that I don’t get too overly excited about $7.5M over two years. I still don’t :)

24. Jonny5

August 07, 2013 07:56 AM

DY, although pretty bad, is not the only issue on this team. The big issue is the entire team is offensively defunct.

Next ArticleAntonio Bastardo to Serve 50-Game Suspension for Involvement with Biogenesis