Antonio Bastardo to Serve 50-Game Suspension for Involvement with Biogenesis

Via Ken Rosenthal:

With 51 games to go, the Phillies will lose reliever Antonio Bastardo for 50 games for his involvement with Biogenesis. Bastardo has been, essentially, the only bright spot as part of the National League’s worst bullpen. At least in terms of results, Bastardo has performed admirably, posting a 2.32 ERA in 42 and two-thirds innings.

Though Bastardo has had significantly fewer strikeouts compared to last year (36 percent to 26 percent), he has induced the same amount of swings and misses overall (30.9 percent to 30.5 percent).

The bright side of this news is that Bastardo will throw 10 to 15 fewer innings, and the Phillies will have to rely on their younger, less experienced relievers in high-leverage spots. As the 2013 season has been lost, the next best thing is putting on audition for open bullpen spots on the 2014 roster.

1. Evan

August 05, 2013 12:48 PM

“Hey…Dirtay..baby I got yo money, don’t you wooray….”

He shall forever be known as….Ol’ Dirty Bastardo. See…some good came of this!

2. Larry

August 05, 2013 12:50 PM

Wow Bastardo! Now we have to wonder how long he’s been doing this? Will he come back next year and have horrible results like Chooch?

3. Evan

August 05, 2013 12:56 PM

@Larry…may explain why he was good in 2011. I’m sure he will get another shot at pitching, maybe not with the Phils, so it will be interesting to see what he does next year.

4. Chris S.

August 05, 2013 01:11 PM

Bastardo has at least 1 more year of team control left so yeah I am sure he will be back to pitch next year.

5. Major Malfunction

August 05, 2013 01:15 PM

Just think if Papelbon would have been traded at the deadline what the bullpen would look like now. What’s Wilson Valdez doing these days?

6. yo

August 05, 2013 01:21 PM

Larry, what do you think these magic beans do?

I can’t imagine the consensus is that Chooch is having a bad year b/c he’s no longer taking Adderal. Isn’t he having a bad year b/c sometimes older players – particularly catchers -have bad years? I don’t think there’s any reason to believe that Tony B will have a bad year b/c he apparently took something in the past (and before this – another good – season).

7. NavyJoe

August 05, 2013 01:25 PM

I assume this will make him quite a bit cheaper in his arbitration year (next year, I believe) than he would have been otherwise. Of course, the point is moot if it turns out that the roids were significantly contributing to his performance.

8. V frankowski

August 05, 2013 01:34 PM

Roids Phil’s what a team management has no control ,this total team needs to be replaced including all management, owners should sell this team .we need all new faces !

9. Larry

August 05, 2013 02:00 PM

@ Yo,

An older catcher at age 33 last year had his best offensive year by a landslide. Look at pictures of Chooch in 2012 and compare his body to this year. People are also stating that the Adderal may have masked something else. HGH is tough to detect.

OPS+ goes from 149 last year and is now 72 this year. Sorry if I seem a little suspicious about a guy who got caught cheating twice within a 6 month period.

10. EricL

August 05, 2013 02:12 PM

Hey, speaking of that tradeability index, wasn’t Paul going to do an updated one at some point? I think I recall a tweet about soliciting opinions or something recently.

11. Mike A

August 05, 2013 02:37 PM

@ Evan. Nice one! Bastard will get “another shot” … at pitching.

12. bubba0101

August 05, 2013 02:48 PM

The sh*t keeps piling on. Can I quit liking the Phillies? Does anyone here have that authority?

13. Taco

August 05, 2013 02:50 PM

Bring back steroids, I say.

Remember when Brett Myers used to pitch far above his skill level, then go home and beat his wife?

Remember when Jason Michaels (who had no earthly business on a major league baseball team) had 10 home runs in a season and then punched a cop?

Remember how much better the phils were back then?

14. Greg

August 05, 2013 03:03 PM

Perfect weekend for the 93 Phils to be in town.

15. Greg

August 05, 2013 03:05 PM

That said, I still love the 93 Phils and have no problems with PEDs. In fact, I think anything that’s not illegal (by US law) should be legal in MLB. Entertain me, freaks! Earn your 10 million dollars for batting four times a game 150 days out of the year!

August 05, 2013 03:08 PM

@ EricL

Paul has been super busy this summer (he works at MLBAM) so he’s taking a reprieve from the blog circuit. Also, he did send around for the second round of the tradeability index, but the responses were far fewer in number, so it wasn’t worth posting.

17. Pencilfish

August 05, 2013 04:57 PM

Audition for BP spots has been going on for the past two years (Horst, Stutes, Diekman, Aumont, Valdes, De Fratus, etc). None of them have distinguished themselves so far. A much more important evaluation for 2014 is, who among this bunch has the tools and statistical history in the minors that gives them a chance to stick at the major league level. I’m very surprised we haven’t tried to convert a career minor league starter (Cloyd?) into a long-man in the majors yet. Eric, it would be great if you could do a scouting report on these BP arms and help determine who can really stick at the major-league level.

18. Mark Peltz

August 05, 2013 06:14 PM

It is still a sad day for baseball. All these players are guilty. Given the $$ they are paid, they all should be banned. At the top of the list should be A-Rod. He is thumbing his nose at the game. A-Rod is a disgusting joke. Other than Papelbon the Phils need a total house cleaning for the pen. None of them have proven they can pitch at the big league level with any consistency.I agree, Chooch is also done. Let him go. Bring up a fresh change, someone that is hungry and wants to play by the rules.

19. Balot

August 05, 2013 06:28 PM

Tony No-Daddy is now Tony No-Job for the time being.

20. Ginner207

August 05, 2013 07:23 PM

I’m ready to see: (ages are for next year)

Valle (24) @ C
    Howard (34) @1B
    Utley (35) @2B
    Rollins (35) @ SS
    Asche (24) @ 3B
    Revere (26) @ CF
    Brown (26) @ RF
    Ruf (27) @ LF – until Howard gets hurt again

Time for the Youth Movement to begin.. guys like Utley and Lee would still be very beneficial to the team and Cole is still pretty young. Pettibone (23 next year) could be a very good end of the rotation piece for years to come. And I think Halladay still something left when he comes back, good be a good 3 starter.

21. LTG

August 05, 2013 10:31 PM

EL,

You probably won’t answer this question but I have to try.

By ‘makeup issues’ did you mean something like willing to use banned PEDs or something like known by baseball people to be using banned PEDs? You can see how the latter makes the current PED regime, ummmm, convoluted, or more so at any rate.

22. SteveH

August 06, 2013 06:34 AM

So I know we are all Phillies fans here but I’d like to raise a topic. Does anyone else think it’s disgusting that the Yankees let Rodriguez play last night? Don’t you distance yourself from him? You’re asking for bad PR by playing him and I’m just surprised. I don’t think Bastardo would be in bullpen for the few days he would be available if he were appealing and I don’t think any of the other players would be playing either.

23. CB

August 06, 2013 08:11 AM

I think the real issue here is that Arod has never tested positive, yet there is apparent proof that he’s been using continuously for quite some time.

Unfortunately, this is why I have my guilty until proven innocent cynical view on baseball.

24. SteveH

August 06, 2013 09:49 AM

I’m not wrong in my thinking that the evidence against ARod must be overwhelming for MLB to suspend him for what may turn out to be the rest of his playing days.

August 06, 2013 11:48 AM

Okay EL, what other dirt do you know that you’re not telling us? :)

@Ginner,

I’m fine with that if you’re okay with us not winning much of anything, or even have a winning record. That lineup you posted isn’t going to win 81 games.

26. Taco

August 06, 2013 03:35 PM

@ Scott G,

I do not remember seeing any studies which show that ‘roid rage is or isn’t real. A quick search of the web didn’t yield conclusive results either. Do you have a link? Not challenging your assertion, but I would genuinely be interested in reading about it.

Next ArticleIn Final 51 Games, Bullpen Must Focus on Limiting Walks