.gif: Domonic Brown’s 12 May Home Runs

Domonic Brown finished the month of May with 12 home runs, the most by a Phillie in a month since Ryan Howard in May and August 2006. He also became the first player in baseball history to hit at least 10 home runs without drawing a single walk in a calendar month. Brown has homered in four out of his last five games, including multi-homer games in two out of his last three.

Here is an enjoyable .gif with all 12 of his May homers, followed by a heat map of the pitch locations.

1. nik

June 01, 2013 08:29 AM

Oh what could have been if not for a broken hamate. Safe to say a healthy Brown in 2011 doesn’t cause us to trade for Pence.

2. SJHaack

June 01, 2013 12:18 PM

It’s so…. beautiful.

He sure is a dead pull hitter, isn’t he?

3. Ryan

June 01, 2013 04:08 PM

Who knows if he would’ve done this well in 2011. Two years can make a big difference in strength and maturity. I also think that the swing changes have really helped him a lot by shortening up his stroke.

4. Cutter McCool

June 01, 2013 09:56 PM

Based on the red zone in that heat map, Brown hits out pitches that Howard can’t reach.

June 02, 2013 12:10 AM

Is that… nik who actually finally thinks Domonic Brown is good? Wow. I’m going to check if pigs fly tomorrow.

6. Steve

June 02, 2013 05:42 AM

And he got his first walk in a month yesterday as the Phils played another pathetic game of keep away with the baseball on defense and lost a second game to the horrible Brew Crew as another pitcher with an ERA in the 6’s again made our hitters feel the kryptonite. Good God,we wouldn’t let Ruf play because we were worried about his Defense. Delmon Young needs to play himself into shape in the minors. His inability to get to any ball not hit directly to him is costing the Phils a run a game and his bat isn’t good enough to make up for the poor defensive ability. I’d rather see KF in RF than DY, could he be any worse. And Ben made another bad throw to home from short center, Larry Anderson was almost laughing about the fact that the Brewers didn’t send the runner home from second on a ball hit to Ben. I quote (sic) “Wow, I think that will be the only time this year we don’t see a team challenge Ben after the throws we’ve seen him make” Also, we pinch ran MM for Howard so we had to us JMJ at 1st Base which meant he wasn’t available to pinch hit effectively taking Howard’s Bat and DY’s bat (not that i like DY) out of the lineup in a game we are losing, wow, the trifecta. The poor defense, base running and managing again dooms us to another close loss. This is a hard team to watch.

7. jake

June 02, 2013 07:43 AM

Right on steve.

So, something I’ve learned…the comments on this site are WAY more fun and filled with hilarious vitriol when the Phillies are bumbling messes. #silverlining !

8. Pencilfish

June 02, 2013 09:04 PM

Phillie697,

It has been said that Dom Brown’s low OBP and walk rate were due to his aggressiveness. If you discovered who’s encouraging him to be less patient at the plate, you will also find out who’s got pigs to fly.

Imagine if was as patient as in 2010-2012. He would still be hitting .235 with a bunch of walks and the pigs would not be flying.

9. Jonny5

June 03, 2013 07:42 AM

I must apologize NOW for doubting Brown had what it takes to play the bigs. I didn’t like his swing. He didn’t prove he could in past chances imo. I thought he was going to be a bust in all honesty. I wasn’t prepared to give up on him though as I picked him up very cheap on my fantasy draft night. He started slow and I had thoughts of dumping him too. I’m glad I didn’t. Dom, you can rake my friend. It is settled.

Still, where are his 100 BB? he he he he….

10. VoteForDelmon

June 03, 2013 09:05 AM

I’m pretty sure Delmon’s presence has helped Dom Brown. By showing exactly what a bust looks like, he scared the living crap out of Dom and you can see the results.

Vote for Delmon Young for the All Star game.

11. Mjsi

June 03, 2013 09:31 AM

The best thing he has done yet is take a walk when he had a chance to go for the cycle. That showed true character and not a me first attitude!

June 03, 2013 09:42 AM

I think Pencilfish just invoked the RAJ: “I don’t care about walks. I care about production.”

I think Pencilfish IS RAJ actually.

June 03, 2013 10:54 AM

Although one caveat about Brown… He’s still terribad in the OF, except now nobody cares because he’s hitting bombs like Ryan Howard circa 2006.

14. Phan analysis

June 03, 2013 01:46 PM

I wouldn’t say terrabad, but he has some work to do still. He does make good plays occasionally, but not consistently. He has improved defensively from where he was even just last year, but now that he is comfortable at the plate I think that will allow him to do some work on his defense.

June 03, 2013 02:14 PM

I don’t think that matters anyway; no one cares Miguel Cabrera is terribad at defense because he can hit a ball anywhere he wants. Dom can play defense like Raul Ibanez for all I care if he keeps hitting .376 wOBA.

16. LTG

June 03, 2013 08:22 PM

FWIW, Dom’s UZR has increased over the last two weeks.

17. Brian

June 03, 2013 09:41 PM

Interesting that most of his home runs have occurred on pitches that were on the outside part of the strike zone yet he has pulled all of them.

18. Jack Cardoso

June 04, 2013 10:55 AM

some of those look like a healthy Griffey Jr swing been loving the power he has been showing

19. Alex Williams

June 05, 2013 06:43 PM

He really gets around the ball

Next ArticlePhillies Draft Retrospective: Gavin Floyd