A Chase Utley Replacement Flowchart

Starring: Chase Utley (not pictured), Michael Martinez, Pete Orr, Darin Ruf, Josh Fields, and Cesar Hernandez.

The Phillies, stunningly, opted to bring up Michael Martinez to replace Utley. The switch-hitting Martinez is carrying a .226/.297/.274 line through 118 plate appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. As the following flow chart will show you, the decision doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Click to enlarge.

1. MattWinks

May 23, 2013 10:38 PM

It is less that you don’t want to start Hernandez’s clock and more do you want Hernandez to sit on the major league bench behind Galvis without consistent ABs?

2. NickFromGermantown

May 23, 2013 10:59 PM

Brilliant.

I can’t believe Martinez is in the system. Well, I can, but you know what I mean.

3. Ryan

May 23, 2013 11:34 PM

But Minimart has all that Big League experience!!!!!

4. Go Go Freddy G

May 24, 2013 03:47 AM

I want the pictures mini mart has on RAJ

5. TomG

May 24, 2013 04:08 AM

I was never very good at reading flowcharts so let me see if I got the characterization of Martinez provided by this one correct:

Martinez = Middle Infielder w/ Pete Orr-like versatility + Stupidity

How’d I do?

If that statement accurately reflects all of Martinez’s qualities that you mention in this chart, then I humbly suggest the chart is flawed because it doesn’t take into account the Crashburn Alley head-explosion potential, which could possibly be of such magnitude that it’ll be seismic, not merely managing to register on the Richter Scale, but sufficiently cataclysmic to cause tidal waves, abrupt continental plate shifts and the opening of multiple gaping, whole-community-swallowing chasms. (Plus (on the upside) massive alcohol consumption. Woo-hoo! Just in time for the weekend!)

Which, if I were of the conspiratorial mindset, I would suggest was the very point of bringing him up – to stick it to CB Alley foax and all who think like them. You know – people whose personal flowcharts don’t include an “I Am Dumb” rubric.

And – stupid me – I declined when offered a chance to buy into that pitchfork-and-torches outlet (“Angry Mobs-R-We” – (proprietor dude’s a bit of a grammar freak)) that a friend of mine opened in RAJ’s neighborhood this Spring.

I would have cleaned up on CB Alley-reader sales alone.

So include “I Am Dumb” in any flowchart about me, I guess.

6. Yo

May 24, 2013 05:04 AM

Most predictable move of all time

May 24, 2013 05:56 AM

Where did you read / hear that they called up Martinez? mlb.com is not listing any calls up to replace either Aumont or Utley. Martinez is not on the 40-man roster, so they’ll have to make another move (Halladay to the 60-day DL?) to add him.

Any word on which player is replacing Aumont? Jon Rauch was just released by the Marlins after posting a high BABIP, low strand rate induced 7.56 ERA (3.84 SIERA). Rauch would be a nice low cost pick-up.

8. LTG

May 24, 2013 07:29 AM

I think the “I” in “I am dumb” picks out the reader of the flow chart, and in particular RAJ, not MM.

Stutes is replacing Aumont.

9. Rich Allen

May 24, 2013 09:44 AM

First Rosenber then Martinez shows how bad things are.

10. John H

May 24, 2013 09:57 AM

Conspiracy theory.

RAJ wants to lose, and lose quickly, thereby justifying the inevitable “blow-up” of this team. Michael Martinez is the surest way to lose quickly. Maybe RAJ is a genius and we just don’t appreciate him.

11. Andrew Cleveland Alexander

May 24, 2013 10:04 AM

Could there be some kind of 40-man justification for Martinez over Orr? Like, whichever one of them gets called up is likely to get waived right off as soon as they activate Zambrano. So, if you’re going to burn a player for what is probably going to be a two-week stint on the bench, why not make it Martinez rather than Orr.

No, wait, that still makes no sense. I tried, I really tried, to come up with rational reason.

May 24, 2013 11:10 AM

John H,

I’ll take your conspiracy theory and raise it a little…ownership wants to lose because there’s some caveat by which they can move the team if they come in last place. Why else would RAJ acquire Willie Mays Hayes, Roger Dorn and Pedro Cerrano (actually Ben Revere, Michael Young and Delmon Young) this past off-season?

13. Chris S.

May 24, 2013 11:20 AM

I would like to see the hypothetical flow charts more often for the decisions RAJ makes. This was absolutely brilliant.

14. SteveH

May 24, 2013 12:10 PM

I guess RAJ figured if the Blue Jays can call up Anthony Gose for no real reason then he could top them by calling up MiniMart for even less of a reason.

15. Corn

May 24, 2013 12:19 PM

If they don’t want Ceasar up because they don’t want to start his service time, does this mean they plan on resigning Utley to a 2 year deal?

16. GB

May 24, 2013 12:20 PM

Does this mean Halladay goes on the 60-day DL?

17. Schuf

May 24, 2013 12:26 PM

The third time you get so wasted at the bar that you wake up next to Michael Martinez is the time you need to ask for help. I hope that scraping bottom leads to a moment of clarity for RAJ.

18. Pencilfish

May 24, 2013 01:14 PM

Since Utley’s replacement will sit on the bench 99% of the time, why is Orr a more logical choice than Mini-Mart? Players called from the minors get a pro-rated ML salary. In Mini-Mart’s case, it will a pro-rated $490k. Based on years of ML service, Orr would get more. Why pay more for a bench-warmer?

I also don’t see how Josh Fields is a sensible choice. Young and Galvis can play 3B. Why have 3 players on the active roster who can play 3B and just a single person who can play 2B, assuming Fields is called up instead of Mini-Mart?

Mini-Mart is the cheapest and most logical choice for a bench-warmer for 2 weeks.

19. Pencilfish

May 24, 2013 01:16 PM

I forgot Frandsen can also play 3B. Calling up Fields instead of Mini-Mart makes even less sense then.

20. Orkin

May 24, 2013 03:17 PM

I’m a die hard Philly fan, he should have been gone two years ago. This really sucks.

21. Lake Fred

May 24, 2013 11:58 PM

I failed to read instructions in adding my twitter name. Sorry.

22. Steve

May 25, 2013 06:35 AM

To understand the true logic behind Mini Mart being on the ML roster.

After last night, does anyone still believe Ben R is a good choice for our CF of the future?

KK’s outing wasn’t as bad as it looked, a team with decent defense would have had him out of the 5th inning without damage. The 3 walks were bad but he worked out of that jam with one run but the 5th inning showed how bad BR and MY can be, there defensive metrics are dooming.

23. Joecatz

May 25, 2013 07:02 AM

I’m not sure anyone should be “stunned” by this decision. It’s pretty dumb, but not stunningly so. Reality is they hope utley is only out two or three weeks, and whoever they called up was gonna get limited AB. Martinez will be a defensive replacement and pinch runner. In the end his ability to at OF swayed it.

As long as he doesn’t get any starts or PH AB it’s not that big a deal.

24. amarosucks

May 26, 2013 01:50 PM

Typical Amaro decision. I’m kinda surprised he didn’t dust of a Luis Castillo type fossil from indy ball.

He’s catching up to Mike Vick as my most hated Philly pro sports personality of all time.

Not good times. I need a beer.

May 28, 2013 12:40 PM

@Pencilfish,

We have 25 men on the roster for a reason. The bench players are there in case something bad happens. So basically, your defense of RAJ is that we should shorten our MLB roster to 24, and by some chance that spot is needed, we’re just shit out of luck. Yes, brilliant GM idea. I think you’re really going out of your way to look dumb in defense of RAJ, as the flowchart aptly demonstrated.

@hk,

“Why else would RAJ acquire Willie Mays Hayes, Roger Dorn and Pedro Cerrano (actually Ben Revere, Michael Young and Delmon Young) this past off-season?” Brilliant. Didn’t even think of the parallel until now. Uncanny.

Ben Revere may have a Willie Mays Hayes turn-around in him, Michael Young hits enough to be okay like Dorn was… Delmon Young though probably isn’t going to learn to hit a baseball no matter who he’s praying to. Also, I was at Sunday’s game; his defense is absolutely infuriating; he turned a single by STRASBURG of all people into a double, not to mention that “triple” in the Nat’s big 5-run 7th.

Next ArticleCrash Bag, Vol. 55: We All Prisoners, Chicky Baby