Some Brief Thoughts on Cole Hamels Not Speaking to the Press

Cole Hamels pitched perhaps his best game of the season tonight, but his feckless comrades in arms failed to score more than one run against Alex Sanabia, one of the worst pitchers in baseball. So they lost. And the man who signed the richest contract in franchise history left Jeffrey Loria’s Taxpayer-Funded Stately Pleasure Dome without speaking to reporters.

Considering that I haven’t gotten tomorrow’s copies of the Philadelphia papers, I don’t know for sure that someone’s going to write a pointed opinion piece about Hamels’ failure to answer to the press this evening, but I hope nobody does.

Because the fact of the matter is that Cole Hamels doesn’t owe us a goddamn thing. He dragged this team to the only championship Philadelphia has earned in my lifetime, then turned around a season later to see the National League and batted ball luck take less of a shine to him. And instead of being patient with the best pitching prospect the franchise produced in 60 years, the media and fans that had feted Hamels as a conquering hero turned on him in 2009 like a pack of jackals.

And when Hamels, during the 2009 World Series, said he’d like that season to be over, I felt for him, because he’d had a rough time of it. It’s what happens when things don’t go your way for the first time in your life, when the league catches up to you, and when your manager leaves you hanging on the cross in a playoff game while your wife is in labor. But Brett Myers (intent on punching another man for once) and the Philadelphia fans and editorial press had procured a length of rope and were determined to hang Hamels with it.

If I were Cole Hamels, and I were one of the more promising talents at my position, I’d have demanded a trade on the spot. Yet Hamels persevered, while the organization put veteran ace after veteran ace in front of him in the rotation while he turned into the pitcher that his potential indicated he might one day become.

And yet here he is, finally getting over the hump after a rough start to the season, and the lineup that supports him, one that is paid roughly the GDP of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, can’t scratch out enough offense to bloody the nose of a pitcher who barely merits the sobriquet of “replacement-level.”

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but as far forward as we can see, Cole Hamels is this franchise. Despite fulfilling the wildest dreams of this city’s fans and media, he was met with scorn, and yet he stuck around (and not just for the money–don’t think the Dodgers or Angels wouldn’t have offered him the contract the Phillies gave him and more) past the point where any sane man’s emotional endurance would have given out.

So to the writers who might pillory Hamels for refusing to talk to the media–cut the man some slack. Every single Phillies beat writer is a better reporter than I am, and I’ve had athletes stonewall me on deadline and managed to turn out harder stories than “The Phillies wasted a strong pitching performance.” You’re all grown-ups, and you’ll recover.

While watching the building furor over Hamels’ media strategy, a thought occurred to me. I’m trying to make a career as a writer, and I’ve had many professional failures. But I’ve never had a professional failure, even one as relatively trivial in the long run as Hamels losing to the Marlins tonight, that wasn’t of my own making. I’ve never had a professional failure viewed with such great regional interest as tonight’s game, and I’ve never been expected to explain myself to a media scrum after such a failure. I can’t begin to imagine  the frustration Hamels might have felt tonight, and the ultimately destructive things he might have been inclined to say, if he’d gone out to utter his platitudes to a bunch of men with digital recorders.

In closing, if you think Cole Hamels owes us anything more than ten strikeouts against two earned runs in six innings, you can go fuck yourself. Over the next five years, this franchise is going to redefine moribund. But it’s not going to be Cole Hamels’ fault, and he doesn’t owe you an explanation why.

May 21, 2013 06:06 AM

Did anyone ask Salisbury to expound on what he tweeted? What did Cole’s decision not to speak actually say? Is Cole angry with himself, the team’s offense and/or the team’s defense?

2. Spike Eskin

May 21, 2013 06:18 AM

If I could, I’d like to sort of agree and sort of disagree with this.

In the short term, I don’t think it’s a big deal that he didn’t talk to anyone after the game. Rather than “RARRRRR HE NEEDS TO TALK TO THE MEDIA” I imagine the storyline will just turn to “he was so mad at how bad the team stinks, he didn’t talk,” which remarkably is probably sort of close to the truth. Hamels has definitely done an image reform in the last couple of years in Philly and I actually think, at least for now, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

But in the long-term, as an overall general theory, I don’t agree with the fact that all he owes anyone is to go out there and pitch, and he has no responsibility to the media (or more indirectly, to give fans reaction to the games). It’s part of the gig, and it always has been. That’s why there’s mandatory times for players/coaches to talk to the press. That’s why when the team needs to sell tickets, or promote an event, they call the press and ask them to do interviews with said players, often times less desirable players or figures within the organization as sort of part of this whole deal.

When Cole Hamels (or any athlete) has an event he wants to promote, whether it be charity or business, he expects promotion from local media. Most times promoting said event doesn’t get anyone ratings or pageviews, or whatever the particular measure of success for the media outlet is.

And part of why sports are so successful, and part of why pro athletes are able to make so much money doing it, is because of the interviews, the talk, the narrative created by it. It isn’t just the game, or what happened on the field.

So in the short term, and for last night, I agree. But I think the idea that the players don’t owe the media or the fans availability isn’t really the way it works.

3. Jonny5

May 21, 2013 06:25 AM

HK, I for one don’t give a damn about the Media take of “what that means”. This city is all to quick to alienate and attack players for things that most cities/people ignore. If he didn’t talk to the media, then Salisbury could only invent reasons for his silence.

I think Hamels is great and he is passionate about winning, that’s it. Although I’m sure somebody will see this as a slap to the face and tear him a new one with their keyboard.

4. Jonny5

May 21, 2013 06:31 AM

Spike is kinda right, but I could care less if Hamels told all the scribes to go to hell every single night. I would probably respect him even more so and go buy some Philly Phaithful shirt honoring this new tradition.

I’m dying to say what Hamels is dying to say I think. “This offense BLOWS!”

5. Danny Jackson

May 21, 2013 07:12 AM

I don’t think he owes the media or the fans anything, except to the extent like Spike said, it’s part of his job to do an interview after he starts. But yeah, I dont really care about pissing off the media.

But he does owe his teammates something. If he doesn’t talk to the media, then the ones that do have to stand there and answer questions about him. His teammates may not be the guys you or I would have signed, or even want on the Phillies, but they’re still real people, showing up and trying hard. They’re not very good, but they’re still his teammates, and he owes them the decency to not show them up or put them on the spot and have to answer questions for him.

I don’t know why Hamels walked out. Maybe his teammates told him to, before he said something stupid to the media. But if he walked out and pissed off his teammates in the process, then yes, he did owe them more than that. Your teammates being bad doesn’t give you the right to treat them less than professionally.

6. yo

May 21, 2013 07:13 AM

I can’t believe “they” have done this to this team. No clue. No hope. Moribund, indeed.

From Gelb’s article:

The organization is not yet concerned about its investment [in Howard], assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said. “You never know what’s going to happen,” Proefrock said. “Chase [Utley] signed a seven-year deal and we lost out on two years. Injuries are a part of the game. That comes with the territory when you sign these guys. We have a bunch of pitchers on long-term contracts, too. It’s just a risk you take.”

7. Ryan

May 21, 2013 07:18 AM

He’s probably better off having not talked to the media. He likely would’ve said something that he regretted in the heat of the moment and would’ve gotten even more attention.

8. Boo-urns

May 21, 2013 07:29 AM

No one owes the media anything. Heck, the Philly-area sport media is among the worst anywhere, so I’m not ever surprised when anyone declines to talk to them.

9. Dave D.

May 21, 2013 07:44 AM

I think maybe this idea that guys get so worked up that they want to scream at their teammates for a crap job may be overblown to a certain extent. Its not like any of these guys made it to the big leagues without being on the Nowhere’sville Mudskippers and having some guy boot 5 consecutive grounders before.

Baseball is hard luck sometimes, they dont put numbers on Sanabia, but they put back to back homers on Aroldis Chapman. And if Cliff Lee says nothing about being let down personally by an offense last year then anyone in that clubhouse who starts talking first looks incredibly uncool.

10. Hog

May 21, 2013 07:57 AM

Poor Hamels, what do they expect him to say? “I hope these guys learn how to hit a baseball because they’re killing me?”. Ridiculous, he probably answers the same questions after every start as well. Then there’s the 15 minutes spent with the media just so they can paraphrase you once? Bah!

11. CB

May 21, 2013 08:33 AM

I, for one, will never be mad at a player for being upset after a loss.

12. JM

May 21, 2013 08:34 AM

Maybe he just had to poo, and hates to do it in the clubhouse?

13. CB

May 21, 2013 08:37 AM

Also, I have a hard time respecting a writer who uses the word “tonite.”

14. JettMartinez

May 21, 2013 08:38 AM

It’s really the simplest of rules your momma done taught you. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything. Imagine the uproar if he had stood in front of the media and shredded his teammates. And what point would there be to spewing the usual cliches through clenched teeth? Perhaps he was self-aware enought to realize that nothing good could come from it. To throw out another cliche, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

15. Jonny5

May 21, 2013 09:41 AM

As much as I rip the Phills Offense. Washington’s offense is worse believe it or not.

Dave D., The phillies are in the bottom 5 offensively in all of baseball (give or take). This is a fact, not something you can wish away by a couple of timely and lucky hr’s off one of the premiere closers in baseball. And let us not forget WHO hit those HR’s. Bench guys did. The Phillies offense sucks, it is fact.

16. rellis

May 21, 2013 09:56 AM

Cole has never buried his teammates and never will. He has had plenty of opportunity to do so. I don’t think it’s in his nature. We don’t know what he was angry about and he could be upset with himself. I applaud this article and it’s possibly the best defense of the player who should be the face of the franchise.

May 21, 2013 10:42 AM

“We have a team with no farm, no discernible young star (Dom Brown has not yet proven to be star-quality yet, and may never will), has exactly one player who can be expected to give us 3-WAR+ performance every year over the next 3 years (Hamels), and a falling attendance number due to losing, which means less money.”

I made that comment yesterday. Let’s not hang the man who might be the only one worth watching on this team for the next five years, otherwise your life as a Phillies fan the next five years will probably be as miserable as Cole Hamels’ life last night.

18. Andrew Cleveland Alexander

May 21, 2013 11:06 AM

In the short term, I have no argument with this, I don’t think writers should get on Hamels for refusing to speak after one frustrating start.

On your broader point, that he owes nothing to the writers: well, I would humbly point out that answering questions from reporters is part of the job description of every major league baseball player. It is part of their job description because the media, in its ultimate wisdom treats certain sporting events as if they were actual news. This basically amounts to an incalculable amount of free advertising and marketing for the team. How important is this publicity to these teams? Well, one measure of its value is that they allow reporters to hang around the locker room and approach their employees while they are STARK NAKED. Anyway, the point is, talking to the press is part of the job, and while Hamels may not owe it to the fans, or to reporters, he does owe it to his employers, who are paying him $144 million to be a public face of the franchise.

Also, let’s not forget that it’s no fun to be the reporter going into the locker room and asking the naked guy why it is that he gave up the game-tying home run or whatever. Those guys get paid a whole lot less than $144 million to sit through a miserable game like last night’s and provide a report–which, whether it’s marketing or not, is something you desire–to you by the next morning. It’s not hard to understand why the players sometimes don’t treat them with respect, but it’s odd for readers to join in the contempt.

19. PhilliesTruthIs

May 21, 2013 11:22 AM

How about Cole running to first to cover the bag? That play may have changed the outcome of the game. Is that too much to ask for a pitcher making $20 Million a year, whose team was 1-8 in his starts, and is now an astonishing 1-9 in his starts? Has a pitcher making that much money, ever had his team lose nine of his first ten starts in a season? Ever?!? Cole Hamels is overated, he is not an elite pitcher in this league, worthy of making the salary he is making. Look at his comments while the 2009 World Series against the Yankees was STILL IN PROGRESS. He is soft as an athlete. He has an easily damaged psyche. He doesn’t seem to have a very deep desire to win, look at him laughing in the dugout with Cliff Lee during the Phillies embarrassing 10-0 loss to the Reds Sunday. That’s just one example.

Also, Ruff should be the Phillies new first baseman. Ryan Howard is (has been) finished. He is now a very subpar starting firstbaseman in this league, who still insists on waving at pitches outside in the dirt. Not to mention, his limited home runs are usually in meaningless spots. Also, speaking of not running out balls, Freddy Galvis should be the Phillies shortstop. Jimmy Rollins should have never been resigned. This guy doesn’t have it, and is certainly not a leadoff hitter, as Charlie has insisted making him. How about running out balls Jimmy? Do you require more millions to do at least that? He seems to be focused on doing everything (DJ’ing, dancing, acting silly) but playing winning baseball. Where is the desire to win? Bad leadership, and possibly the least clutch player in baseball. Does this guy EVER come through when it matters? Once out of a hundred times? He should have never been re-signed.

Oh, and Ben Revere should not be starting. This guy is just bad all-around. Not a starting centerfielder in this league, for a team that wants to be in contention. Another bad move, by a lousy GM, Ruben Amaro. Speaking of guys that should go. He should be first in line. Team has gone straight downhill every year since he took over, despite the large salary. He is the worst GM in MLB, wish ownership would realize it.

Phillies ownership should wake up now!

Amaro, Howard, and Rollins MUST GO NOW. Revere should be sent to Triple-A. Galvis should start at shortstop, Ruff at first.

In my own humble opinion.

20. PhilliesTruthIs

May 21, 2013 11:43 AM

Oh, and how are the Phillies 0-3 with Cole Hamels starting against the Miami Marlins? A guy making over $20 Million a year, has his team go 0-3 against a team that has the absolute worst record in baseball? A team that is 9-28 in games against the rest of the league?

The Phillies are 4-4 overall against the Marlins, who are essentially a minor league team?

This team is 9-28 against the rest of MLB, but 4-4 against the Phillies.

This team is 4-11 against the rest of the NL East, but 4-4 against the Phillies.

This is just embarrassing.

21. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 11:49 AM

I don’t care if Cole talks to the Philadelphia media or not. The Philadelphia media (which reflects our fan base) is too focused on creating stories when they should just be doing quality reporting.

However, Cole needs to grow up. He is a great pitcher and a horrible teamate. It is just plain obvious when side-by-side with classy guys like Lee and Doc how immature he still is. Cole shows up his fielders, and doesn’t support his teamates. I wonder how he would have reasted if he recieved the same run support that Lee got last year.

Having Doc and Roy and Lee around took a ton of pressure off Cole when he was too immature to handle an off season conditioning program. Give him a break about his pregnant wife??? why? He knows what the standard gestation period of human is, right?

May 21, 2013 11:57 AM

@Bdawkbdawk,

I’m sure he knows what the standard gestation period of human is, and I’m sure he figured it would fall in the middle of the playoffs. What would you him rather do? Tell the team, “fuck you all, but it’s my kid, and he’s more important than my job. So sorry, I ain’t showing up for the playoffs.” Would you rather have that? For most of us, we sure as hell ditch work when our kids are about to be born. Being paid millions of dollars doesn’t mean you give up the right to have that pleasurable experience of child birth.

Have you even had a kid yet?

23. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 12:16 PM

No, not at all. I would rather he didn’t impregnate his wife 9 months before the playoffs. People do a little bit of family planning all the time. It would be nice if Cole had a little forethought. I know it’s not always that easy, but honestly if you are a great player on a great team-look at a two month window of time 9 months before the playoffs and hold off on trying to have a child.

24. TomG

May 21, 2013 12:33 PM

Yeah! Fuck Cole’s wife!

Just not in the literal sense.

Is it just me or is there a distinct whiff of Penis Nazi to this thread now?

May 21, 2013 12:49 PM

@Bdawkbdawk,

You DO realize you can’t just get pregnant on command right? This is why people “try” to have kids, not just get it over in one night. Some people try for months. Seeing as how they, you know, play baseball every freaking season, when would you like Cole Hamels to “try” to have a kid? Never? While he’s a professional baseball player? Are you nuts?

26. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 12:50 PM

I must be missing something.I just don’t think the “give the expecting father a break theory” is very credible. I also don’t subscribe to the “give the guy that started a bar fight and broke his hand a break” theory either. Or the “He won a world series, so who cares if he doesn’t prepare for next season” theory. These aren’t commonplace problems that just come with the territory. These are self created. That’s why Philadelphia celebrates the athletes who care 1/10 of as much as the fans who end up paying their salaries and demonizes the guys who show-up their allstar shortstop after he misses a groundball.

27. LTG

May 21, 2013 12:52 PM

TomG, you are fantastic, but what is Penis Nazi?

Also this stuff about timing a pregnancy is just ludicrous. The process is so hard to predict and stressful for those who really want kids that it is absurd to expect anyone to plan a pregnancy with even that level of detail.

28. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 12:59 PM

@ Phillies697

Yes I am aware of this. You would have been too if you had actually read my comment.

I know many people who have to try to have kids. They still plan. It is not rocket science.

If you can’t wrap it (at most) two months out of the year…well…then… I guess you are Cole Hamels.

May 21, 2013 01:24 PM

@Bdawkbdawk,

So you advocate something like this: “Okay, Heidi, we want to have a kid. I’m all up with that. Fing awesome. But… Since I’m a really important baseball player for a really important baseball team for some really self-important baseball fans, we need to plan this shit right. Sometimes it’s hard to get pregnant, especially after the woman gets off chemically-induced birth control methods, we’ll probably need a few months of trying for it to happen. Seeing as how I’m on the damn road from March to October every year, and you can’t go into labor during the playoffs, realistically speaking we have Nov and Dec to get preggy, that’s it. Oh, btw, after you get pregnant, you BETTER not be late with that damn baby, because I swear to god if he/she doesn’t pop out by the end of the regular season, we’re aborting him/her, and I don’t care if it’s illegal to abort a baby in the third trimester.”

Is that what you are proposing? Again, are you nuts?

30. Andrew Cleveland Alexander

May 21, 2013 02:24 PM

All it takes is one idiotic comment to turn this thread into a discussion of pregnancy and fertility? My, we are easily distracted. Also, some of us are confirming the worst suspicions of women. Perhaps we can get Paul Boye to prepare some GIFs demonstrating how babies are made?

31. TomG

May 21, 2013 02:32 PM

@LTG

Simple.

To clarify, to me, Rule Number One of the Intertoobz has always been: Do Not Feed the Trolls. And when someone comes along making a comment implying, if not outright stating, that he thinks he has the right, as a fan, to lay down rules and conditions for when any ballplayer can impregnate his wife (or anyone else, for that matter), my first thought is: Troll. Don’t engage.

Because it boggles my mind to entertain the thought that someone might say something like that and not be trolling. But evidently, that’s what was happening with one commenter here. Assuming that, as a fan, he for some reason has a say in something in Cole Hamels’ life than which it is difficult to imagine anything more private or personal; and to imply that in presuming to want to put his family first, Cole was acting like an entitled prima donna. Really? A fan is dictating the approved times that Cole Hamels can impregnate his wife, and Cole‘s acting puerile and entitled? Do they have mirrors where you’re from, Bdawkbdawk?

It was especially galling to read these things about CH after the start he had last night. He’s had some bad starts this year, but last night? That wasn’t one of them. He was pretty brilliant.

I was more pissed at the offense. But as pissed as I got, at no point did I think to myself, “Woe to any of you guys who may’ve gotten your wife pregnant at a time that may prove inconvenient to me as a fan! Because if you did THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!”

I simply don’t think I have that right. I don’t care how much salary the player gets per year. He doesn’t sign away his basic human rights.

Because thinking I had that right would make me a Penis Nazi*. And if, as a Penis Nazi, I posted to this blog, the thread i posted to would then reek a bit of Penis Nazi, was my point.

Um, 5+ paragraphs, so … actually … not as simple as I said it would be.

___
    *Actually, an Impregnation Nazi. I just thought Penis Nazi, though less apt, sounded funnier and Seinfeldianer.

May 21, 2013 02:36 PM

Well, we could dissect Ryan Howard’s .296 wOBA, -0.3 WAR in 163 PA season, proving that last year was no fluke… On second thought, Paul, where are them GIFs?

33. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 02:38 PM

One pretty sensible but insignificant comment I’d say. Frankly i’m surprised it was met with such resistance and straw manning. Yes, if you care about your job, you try to make life decisions that do not complicate the most important month or two of your job. It’s not because he owes it to the fans, (although I do think it is an athletes responsability to an organization not to take time off for elective/preventable reasons) he owes it to the team. It’s called life planning. Does anyone who responded to me seriously think it’s a coincidence that Benjamin Cooper Utley was born in December?

May 21, 2013 02:41 PM

Bill, maybe we ought to give TomG a Friday spot too. Call it Crashbag, part 2. Or he and MB can collaborate.

Or TomG IS MB. Oh the possibilities…

35. Bdawkbdawk

May 21, 2013 02:44 PM

Further, I find it absurd that my comments about Cole which is a footnote to a career of immature behavior and being a bad teamate has suddenly turned into a screed against reproductive rights. It’s not. It’s the acknowledgement, that maybe he shouldn’t get a pass for poor planning.

36. LeftFielderorBust

May 21, 2013 05:32 PM

Why is everyone all bent out of shape about reproductive rights? It seems like its a whole lot easier than that. A player owes a team his best effort to be at every game and to play his hardest. Cole decided to have a child around the playoffs, knowing that it could interfere with the season. doesn’t make him selfish or a bad player. Just means we shouldn’t feel more sorry for him being out on a cross when his wife was in labor than we should be for anyone else out on a cross during the postseason

37. rellis

May 21, 2013 06:51 PM

I’ve never heard anybody call Cole Hamels a bad teammate or anything other than a fierce competitor. He shows his emotions on the mound. I guess some people missed Cliff Lee going after Shane Victorino in the dugout last year or Roy Halladay staring down Placido Polanco for making an error in a meaningless game in May a few years back. These guys are competitors and sometimes they show emotion, right or wrong, and Cole is not the only one to do so. Besides one would think the Phillies would not have offered a contract like this one to a “bad teammate” and would have shipped him out the door at the first opportunity. Really people, cut Cole some slack. I really think he might have been upset with being yanked out of a game in the 6th inning when he was pitching great.

38. Mister Twine

May 21, 2013 07:12 PM

“In closing, if you think Cole Hamels owes us anything more than ten strikeouts against two earned runs in six innings, you can go fuck yourself.”

Favorite thing I’ve ever read on here.

39. Jonny5

May 21, 2013 09:40 PM

Whoa, it stinks in here. (closes door)

May 22, 2013 09:49 AM

Yeah, Cole Hamels can’t have a baby and have people criticize him for it. We’re over-reacting your entitlement alright. Or the “‘He won a world series, so who cares if he doesn’t prepare for next season’ theory.” Now he’s at fault for Lady Luck crapping on him too. Because, you know, we haven’t already established long ago that his 2009 season had NOTHING to do with the fact that he didn’t prepare or pitched differently than 2008.

You know who else is a pretty hard worker as far as we know that nobody seemed to have liked in Philly? Michael Martinez. You rather have him on the team then? We shouldn’t cut Cole any more slack than anyone else, but how about just appreciate him for, you know, being one of very few good players we’re likely to have for the foreseeable future? It almost sounds like you rather him NOT be on the team, and yes, you would be in the minority.

41. PhilliesTruthIs

May 22, 2013 03:19 PM

This guy is making $24 million a year (every seven months).

His team is 1-9 in his starts, including 0-3 against the Marlins.

Think about that for a minute.

What is so great about a guy making that much money, and not living up to his contract as an elite pitcher? Heck, 1-9 would suck really bad for a guy who is a number five starter or is making a league minimum salary.

If you take out the 8 games under .500 that the Phillies are in his 10 starts, the Phillies would be in first place right now, ahead of the Braves, in the NL East.

Sure, the Phillies have not supported him offensively again, but he didn’t even bother running to first to cover the bag in a play that wound up being the first run in the game for Miami, and could have changed the outcome of the game… so he is also to blame for the loss. That is a routine play for a pitcher to run to first on a ground ball to the right side. He didn’t do it. He did however say he couldn’t wait for the season to end as the 2009 World Series was in progress, and he did seem to find something very amusing in the dugout with Cliff Lee on Saturday, as the Phillies were being embarrassed, on route to a 10-0 loss.

1-9 in his first 10 starts, with an ERA over 4, at $24 Million a season = not too good, no matter how you look at it or what excuses you decide to make for him.

May 22, 2013 04:00 PM

May 22, 2013 04:08 PM

In 7 of Hamels’s 10 starts, he has pitched between 6 and 8 innings and given up 1 or 2 runs. In another, he gave up 3 runs in 7 innings. If the Phils had scored 4 runs in every one of his starts, they’d probably be 6-4 or 7-3 in those 10 games.

44. ralph lauren

May 29, 2013 03:03 AM

Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.

45. PhilliesTruthIs

June 03, 2013 10:38 AM

“If you took away the Phils 1-9 record in the 10 games that Hamels started, they would be 21-15, which would put them 2 games behind the Braves.”

You are right. I miscalculated.

Nonetheless, we now have a starting pitcher who is making over $20 Million a year for the next 7 years, whose team is 1-11 in his 12 starts this year, with an ERA near 5. Those 11 losses include 0-3 versus the Miami Marlins, and 0-1 versus the Milwaukee Brewers (who were 5-22 in the month and had lost 6 straight coming into their game versus Hamels).

46. PhilliesTruthIs

June 03, 2013 10:40 AM

hk9965 – Thanks, I counted each game under .500 as one full game, rather than a half a game. Take care.

Next Article.gif: Alex Sanabia spitting on a baseball