The Most Depressing Chart You’ll See

…at least related to the Phillies. I’m sure you can pull up some income distribution or literacy rate graphs that’ll really bring on the sad.

Pitch locations of all seven home runs Phillies pitchers surrendered to Indians hitters last night:

Here are video stills of all seven homers individually:

One might have thought, prior to last night, that one would have to intentionally try to locate pitches that poorly. The Phillies have proven that is not so.

1. Mitch Goldich

May 01, 2013 08:37 AM

And Halladay was behind in the count all three times he grooved it, two of them on 1-0 counts. Failing to throw first pitch strikes is one of the biggest differences in him this year.

2. TomG

May 01, 2013 09:19 AM

Eye m so por thet eye caint ufford 2 lern to reed n rite gud but dis chart wus mor daprezzung then eny chart eye mite apeer en.

An da gaym itsef wuz evin mor daprezzng then thet.

3. Dan K.

May 01, 2013 11:35 AM

@Richard,

Catchers are typically capable of moving their gloves so that they can catch a pitch even if it isn’t in the location the pitch was supposed to be in.

4. Josh G

May 01, 2013 12:02 PM

Silver lining: one of them was down and off the plate!

5. LTG

May 01, 2013 12:15 PM

Whose HR-pitch was in off the plate?

6. LTG

May 01, 2013 12:43 PM

Thanks. That’s what I thought but I have trouble adjusting for the camera angle.

7. Ed Burns

May 01, 2013 01:33 PM

For a depressing stat, check out the gini coefficient and see where USA is over the last decade or so.

8. Jonny5

May 01, 2013 02:37 PM

Why did I think this was going to be Revere’s spray chart?

9. LTG

May 01, 2013 11:45 PM

Everyone here should know that Game 6 from 1993 NLCS is on YouTube. Avoid the other Game 6 at all cost.

Also, I watched some of the 1952 Game 7 WS. Duke Snider, with a man on first one out, attempted to drag bunt the first pitch. What?

10. Joe

May 02, 2013 06:01 AM

Question for you guys who know more about sabermetrics than me, I know RBI don’t really mean much since men on base and other factors are in play, but one thing I think it can show is things like getting a runner in from third with less than 2 out, sac fly’s, etc. For example, Ryan Howard usually gets his RBI’s, even in bad stretches. That has to count for something. Not saying Howard is great or anything, but for him to have his average where he does, I figure the power will come.

May 02, 2013 10:06 AM

@Joe,

There IS a way to measure what you want to measure, but it’ll have to come from analyzing stats at an at-bat level. That may be TOO much stat for even us saber geeks.

Next ArticleJeremy Horst's Bad Luck Continues