Tommy Joseph’s game calling and other notes from Triple-A

As I prioritize amateur players on my scouting schedule as the June draft approaches, I’ve only mostly been able to check out Triple-A Lehigh Valley on the pro side. I’ve got notes on some of the guys there for you at the bottom of this post. In addition to that I’d like to expose you to a special little experiment I conducted at a game two weeks ago against Pawtucket. I’m fascinated by catcher defense and the intricacies that are involved in scouting it. I decided to try something I’ve only done once before and chart Tommy Joseph‘s game calling.

Here’s how I did it: I kept track of where Joseph set up, what pitch was thrown, and what resulted therefrom. That’s it. I took that data and perused it at the Allentown BrewWorks for an hour or two afterward and looked for trends and tells. I’ve included the data and my thoughts here. There’s a key at the bottom.

Tojo Calling

Ok, onto my minor league notes…

Tyler Cloyd: It doesn’t look good right now. The fastball has always been a 40 grade pitch while he’s survived off a good cutter and decent curveball and good control and command. The control and command have gone backwards and he’s getting hit around.

Cody Overbeck: Officially NP.

Cody Asche: The defense has gotten better which is really encouraging. I still think we’re looking at a role 45 player overall but I’m more confident he gets there now.

Cesar Hernandez: Hernandez is one of those guys that has incredible strength in his hands but instead of that strength shining through as power it shines through as control of the bat. I saw him turn on a knee high 96mph Allen Webster fastball on the inner half and hit it through the hole on the right side. I’d like to see him get some reps at SS just to see if he can be passable there. He’d make for one heck of a utility infielder if he is. The guys they’re running out there to play short now are awful.

Tyson Gillies: He can really run but the swing is bad and his defense relies entirely on his legs to make up for his lack of instincts. Maybe a bench OF but no more than that.

Darin Ruf: He’s gotten himself into much better physical shape. Give him credit for that. He’s still bad in LF and he’s seeing time at first base as well. He’s not hitting as well as even I thought he would. I expect a rebound but still don’t think it’s enough for him to be an everday big leaguer.

Jermaine Mitchell: Mitchell isn’t really a prospect but holy shit is he fast. 3.96 down the line from the left side.

Leandro Castro: Too much swing and miss for me. No, thanks.

1. BradinDC

April 25, 2013 10:17 AM

Do you have an overall eval on Joseph right now? We saw lots of PB early in the year. Do you think that’s something he’s going to overcome, (or was it maybe just a string of bad luck or something), and how’s the bat look to you?

2. JettMartinez

April 25, 2013 10:21 AM

Are there any position players is this barren wasteland that project as everyday players?

3. Eric Longenhagen

April 25, 2013 11:07 AM

Brad,

I think ToJo is an average everyday catcher. Yeah the passed balls are a problem and probably will be for his entire career, but he does enough other things well that you can live with it. I think he looks fine offensively. The hand eye coordination is just ok and I’ve seen him swing at absolute garbage, but the power is very real.

Jett,

Joseph is the one position player at Triple-A that I think is a solid everday guy. I love the arms they have there and of course you have to keep and ee on the rest of the bats just in case.

4. Kevin

April 25, 2013 11:51 AM

Which 3rb base prospect projects better as a future starter?
    Asche
    Franco
    Walding

5. Jim F

April 25, 2013 01:20 PM

When referring to Asche you said he’s “A role 45 player” can you elaborate on that, or at least for my sake tell me what that means.

6. Eric Longenhagen

April 25, 2013 06:48 PM

Kevin,

I think Franco has a shot to be an All Star

Jim,
    Below average regular. Scouts grade things on a 20-80 scientific scale with 50 being average and each integer away from 5 one standard deviation away from the mean.

7. Charlie

April 25, 2013 11:48 PM

Eric,

Agreed on Franco. Pretty impressive numbers for a guy so young. I’m glad he looks just as good in person. I just wish we hadn’t traded Santana in the Pence deal. Together they could have been good building blocks for the future.

8. Dirk Durstein

April 26, 2013 11:03 AM

Why publish a poll assuming that the Phils will score more runs with Speedy Ruiz in the lineup? 56 runs scored and 68 RBI all last year. 29 walks. Ruiz may settle the bullpen down some; but I would look to Delmon Young for more production than Ruiz. A change at the top would help, too.

9. Eric Longenhagen

April 26, 2013 04:36 PM

I don’t put up polls. And Delmon Young isn’t good at baseball.

10. Kyle

April 26, 2013 09:11 PM

Smh Delmon young more productive than Ruiz. Smh smh smh

11. Richard

April 26, 2013 09:19 PM

Ruiz is obviously much better than Young (the suggestion that he’s not is comical), but Ruiz’s walk rate is something to keep our eye on when he returns…

Next ArticleUsing Ben Revere Optimally in the Lineup