Crashburn Odds and Ends

The Phillies will wrap up the 2012 regular season this afternoon against the Washington Nationals with but one thing left to play for: finishing above .500. The difference between 81 and 82 wins is effectively meaningless, but it would be a nice token nonetheless, ensuring the tenth consecutive season of above-.500 baseball. 2012 was a rollercoaster, starting with some frustrating April losses, followed by a seemingly neverending rash of injuries, a terrible June swoon, and selling in July. As the Phillies are wont to do, however, they heated up tremendously in the final two months, giving us exciting baseball well into September. We certainly didn’t expect the Phillies to be making golf plans in October, but if you ask me, the 2012 season was still fun and interesting.

I would like to thank all of you who loyally stop by Crashburn Alley regularly for your Phillies analysis. The success we have had over these many years (since August 2007!) couldn’t have happened without your support, and 2012 was another banner year for us. We’ll continue to provide Phillies insight and analysis throughout the off-season, so don’t take us out of your bookmarks yet. In fact, to ensure a strong off-season, I’m happy to announce that we have added another writer to the blog: Eric Longenhagen, who has worked for Baseball Info Solutions as a video scout. Eric has a wealth of knowledge about the Phillies’ Minor League system and scouting in general, so I am very happy that he will be lending his unique perspective here. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, Bradley Ankrom wasn’t able to juggle his many responsibilities, which includes covering the expanse of Minor League baseball at Baseball Prospectus. We wish Bradley all the best as he does great work.

Before I wrap up, I’d like to briefly go over a few more topics. First, we recorded a podcast with Jon Bernhardt and Lana Berry last week, but we ran into some audio troubles, rendering our guests’ microphone feeds more or less unlistenable. We are doing our best to perform a miracle, but it looks like that podcast is going into the garbage bin, sadly. However, we intend to put out several podcasts throughout the off-season, so expect more from us in the not-too-distant future.¬†Secondly, the first and second place prizes for both Crashburn fantasy baseball leagues will be awarded at some time during the off-season, hopefully sooner rather than later. I will send out some emails when everything has cleared. On another note, I will be accepting guest posts throughout the off-season, so if you have a unique perspective you’d like to share, feel free to submit a guest post to my email (listed below). Make sure to include relevant links to your website and social media so people can find you if they like your work.

As always, if you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns, please leave a comment below or contact me via Twitter, Facebook, or email (crashburnalley at gmail). Make sure you’re following everybody else on Twitter as well: Michael Baumann (@MJ_Baumann), Ryan Sommers (@Phylan), Paul Boye (@Phrontiersman), and Eric Longenhagen (@Longenhagen). Finally, if you’re fearing pending boredom throughout the fall and winter, consider grabbing a copy of my book “100 Things Phillies Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die,” which was released back in January. You can order it online or find it at a local bookstore, including Barnes & Noble.

Now on to the end of the regular season, the new landscape of MLB’s post-season, and a potentially exciting off-season for the Phillies…

October 03, 2012 09:08 AM

Bill,

Thank you and thanks to the other writers for continuing to bring us interesting, thought-provoking and fun content.

2. haydus

October 03, 2012 09:59 AM

Thanks for the good work all season. We’ll get ‘em next year!

3. tomg

October 03, 2012 10:16 AM

Yeah, your book is also available at at least one public library in New Jersey, because I currently have it checked out from the library where I work. I’m reading it slowly because, as a staff member, I PAY NO FINES!! Bwah-hah-hah!!

I’m currently on number 10 (? I think), in which you contend that Mike Schmidt was (Spoiler Alert!) a good thing for the Phillies. Provocative!

Seriously, I’m enjoying the read.

Another thing to play for today: Getting Cliff Lee another win. Yeah, he can’t get to, much less above, .500 this year, but I’d like to see the Phils get him about 10 runs so he can get a taste of what it feels like to be pitching on the good side of a laugher, rather than in yet another game he’ll be destined to lose or get a no-decision for if he gives up two runs.

At least get him the win, guys! For the last time this season, Go Phils!

4. balot

October 03, 2012 10:25 AM

Discovering your site during the last offseason was one of the better things that has happened to me. Crashburn is definitely my favorite sports blog, and I make sure to check it every day. Thanks for all you guys do, and I’ll see ‘ya on Opening Day 2013!

5. sicklerw

October 03, 2012 10:58 AM

The Phils may have only been a .500 club this year but Crashburn Alley had its best season to date. Well done.

6. Brad.

October 03, 2012 01:56 PM

Thanks for another great season. My head would explode if all I had was Daily News Live or WIP.

7. tomg

October 03, 2012 02:55 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Bill, that was a great Seinfeld episode! My wife (also a librarian and even more liberal than I in keeping books out past their due dates) and I both loved that episode. Did I say “loved”? I meant “lived”. All libraries have staff (and patrons) who think keeping books out past the due date should be a capital offense. I’m pretty sure there’s a line item for unmanned drones in my library system’s budget this year. The barcodes on the books will double as tracking devices.

But mugs like that private library gumshoe don’t scare me, see? Because ya can’t prove I took nuttin’. Be a reaalllll shame if the record of that checkout were to “disappear” along with the book, but sometimes things like checkout records get “lost” in the shuffle, don’t they? Especially when you have an inside man …

Be a real shame if that were to happen.

A real shame.