.gifs from Last Night

.gifs after the jump. As usual, be judicious if you’ve got a bad computer or slow Internet.

Jimmy Rollins hit a pop-up in foul territory that catcher Rob Brantly couldn’t handle. Rollins made good use of his extra chance, drilling a home run to right field. Brantly, as you can imagine, was not happy.

- Reveal Brantly .gifs

A fan was an idiot during the game (don’t act so surprised). After failing to field a foul grounder cleanly, he fell into the field, then yanked the ball away from a presumably nice lady before being ejected by an usher.

- Reveal fan .gif

Roy Halladay wasn’t happy with his performance, which was partially affected by an inconsistent strike zone from home plate umpire Mark Wegner. Notoriously tempestuous, many thought Halladay wanted to chokeslam Wegner on his way out, but simply wanted to hand his manager a baseball before exiting. Wegner is safe… for now.

- Reveal Halladay .gif

The game featured two hilarious defensive miscues, one by Giancarlo Stanton and one by the normally slick-fielding Chase Utley.

- Reveal bad defense .gifs

Normally, we’re used to saying “Ryan Howard destroyed a baseball”, but last night, it was the other way around. Howard took a foul ball to the ol’ noggin on an unfortunate carom after failing to make a spectacular diving catch.

- Reveal Howard .gif

Finally, Phillippe Aumont made mincemeat out of a familiar foe in Jose Reyes. Aumont had gotten himself in some hot water, putting runners on second and third while trying to hold on to a two-run lead, but he got Reyes to whiff to end the inning. Reyes wasn’t happy.

- Reveal Reyes .gif

With the 9-7 win, the Phillies moved to 71-71, reaching .500 for the first time since June 4, when they were 28-28. All four of the teams ahead of them in the NL Wild Card — the Braves, Cardinals, Dodgers, and Pirates — all lost, allowing the Phillies to gain ground on all of them. They are now four out of the second Wild Card and have bumped their playoff chances up to three percent according to Cool Standings. Maybe they really are going to do the impossible after all.

1. Gaël

September 12, 2012 07:29 AM

Oh my, I can’t stop laughing at the Stanton and Utley gifs.

2. tyler

September 12, 2012 08:00 AM

i wouldn’t be surprised to find out that halladay had put a voodoo curse on that baseball which made it impossible for giancarlo to field it

3. Tom

September 12, 2012 09:17 AM

Does anyone else want to see Ruiz back in the clean up spot and Howard 5th? ESPECIALLY against lefties perhaps?

4. Mumbles

September 12, 2012 09:41 AM

No, Howard shouldn’t even be starting against lefties.

5. LTG

September 12, 2012 10:08 AM

I haven’t seen all of Aumont’s outings in MLB (let alone MiLB) this year, so I ask out of ignorance (i.e., have pity): where did that change/splitter pitch come from? Has he always had it? Has he been developing it this year? Does he usually have such good command over it?

As I watched the final pitch to Ruggiano last night, I thought, “Shit, fastball down the middle.” Then Ruggiano swung way ahead of the pitch and the bottom fell out. I was flabbergasted.

6. Rowl

September 12, 2012 10:31 AM

I think if you fall on to the field and you’re certain to be ejected it’s ok to insist on the foul ball if it’s within reach.

September 12, 2012 10:32 AM

So here comes the real question (putting on my unrealistically hopeful hat): Who do we trot out there for the one-game winner-take-all WC game, assuming we can line it up to be anyone we want? Not sure I trust Halladay’s body at this point…

8. nik

September 12, 2012 10:38 AM

I would have the most trust in Hamels, closely followed by Lee. Halladay is running on fumes it seems.

9. nik

September 12, 2012 10:41 AM

PS Aumont is filthy. I’m excited about the 2013 BP. Trotting out Paps, Bastardo, Aumont and DeFratus is a nice start. I dont even care who gets the mop-up innings.

September 12, 2012 10:47 AM

I wouldn’t call 3.57 xFIP/3.60 SIERA running on fumes, but I get your point. I’m a toss-up between Lee and Hamels, and actually leaning toward Lee.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if this was the baseball gods’ way of rewarding Halladay for being such a trooper and finally give him the WS ring he wants so much at the twilight of his outstanding career?

11. jauer

September 12, 2012 11:01 AM

Why don’t people who climb over the tarp for foul balls ejected? Many times they have their hand on the field and their feet barely touching the tarp, with no consequence. By that logic they can sit on the tarp all game long.

12. nik

September 12, 2012 11:13 AM

jauer: because they paid good money for those seats so they would have an opportunity to do that.

13. Dave

September 12, 2012 01:38 PM

I like how that ignorant tool fell onto the field like a drunken idiot, stole a ball of the woman sitting on the other side of the aisle, then sat back down in his seat like nothing was wrong. I would’ve taken the ball off him for douchebaggery alone.

Just because he was born a few chromosomes short doesn’t entitle him to anything, Rowl.

14. LTG

September 12, 2012 09:00 PM

Did something get redacted that makes chongtastic’s comment a sequitur?

15. Dan K.

September 13, 2012 11:10 AM

@LTG,

I think his comment is about the gif of the fan.

Also, yeah Aumont has had that splitter all along. That plus his fastball is why the Phillies were drooling over him when we traded Lee.

Next ArticleStarting Rotation Keys Phils' Late Surge