Post Title Redacted

We asked for Jonathan Papelbon in a non-save situation, and we got him. And instead of his usual excellence, we get a loss, courtesy of the first major league home run of the heroically named Jordany Valdespin. In light of our collective recent griping about how Charlie Manuel’s refusal to use his best reliever in the biggest situations, I think some comment on the issue is appropriate. I toyed with writing a serious response, some sort of reassurance that having Papelbon pitch was the right move, regardless of the result. But that would just come off as overly defensive.

I also thought about writing a sarcastic, OH YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG response, dealing with a gut punch loss in best Crashburn tradition: with imperious sarcasm.

In the end, I’m just going to post the FanGraphs win probability chart (-.468 WPA for Sentimental Johnny, by the way):

And this GIF, which accurately captures the effect of that Valdespin homer on our collective psyche:

Strength through unity, unity through faith. And, as always, England prevails.

1. Richard

May 07, 2012 09:26 PM

that’s ok, this correct decision was outweighed by several other very poor decisions, by both Charlie and the players, up to that point

2. LTG

May 07, 2012 09:34 PM

Hey Prothero, is that .gif from a Star Trek film? They look like Romulans but I can’t place the scene.

3. Phylan

May 07, 2012 10:11 PM

That’s from Nemesis, which appropriately for the 2012 Phillies was the worst of The Next Generation films

4. Michael Baumann

May 07, 2012 10:11 PM

LTG-
    Yeah, it’s the opening scene from Star Trek Nemesis, where the Romulan Senate gets killed by thalaron radiation.

5. LTG

May 07, 2012 10:20 PM

Right. That was my guess, but I couldn’t remember it. And, yes, easily the worst of the films, not only TNG but Original as well.

6. Noah

May 07, 2012 10:24 PM

The Polly sacrifice with Galvis coming up killed me.

7. Michael Baumann

May 07, 2012 10:28 PM

What on EARTH are you talking about? Worse than The Final Frontier? Worse than The Motion Picture? Worse than Insurrection?

8. Phylan

May 07, 2012 10:44 PM

I think Motion Picture is extremely underrated. Has a great late 70s sci-fi 2001-y kind of aesthetic to it. Final Frontier had the refit Connie. I mean I’ll give Nemesis points for Tom Hardy, but otherwise jesus sac bunting christ, Picard taking the ~Argo~ out for a joy ride, transporters overloading as soon as Picard beams out because HE JUST HAS TO DO IT HIMSELF OK, Deanna mind-firing torpedoes, the fattest-ever Riker, KILLING OFF DATA are you shitting me that movie was the worst.

9. magoplasma

May 07, 2012 10:59 PM

Not how baseball commenting works, fellas. But Ryan is right.

10. Michael Baumann

May 07, 2012 11:11 PM

Let me address your points one by one.
    1) Between this and your love for the new Orioles hats, I’m not sure what you’re smoking. “[G]reat late 70s sci-fi” is, what, exactly, apart from Star Wars? Zardoz? Logan’s Run?
    2) Okay, cool new ship. But the DS9 uniforms and Enterprise-E are the best visual combination of any of the 11 films.
    And even if you like the new ship, Sybok is a completely insubstantial villain when compared to Tom Hardy’s Shinzon, or even F. Murray Abraham’s Ru’afo. Or even Malcolm McDowell’s completely overacted Dr. Soran. And then there’s The Search for Spock. You have this great touching ending at the end of Wrath of Khan, then you make an entire movie so you can play takey-backsies? How is that more compelling than exploring the duality of man, the nature/nurture argument? Picard and Shinzon asks the question of how we become what we are. Star Trek is supposed to be smart and socially conscious–what point are 3 and 5 trying to make?
    3) Picard taking the Argo out for a spin > Old Uhura’s fan dance in 5, Picard’s mambo, the boobs firming up running gag in 9, and the stupid BELAY THAT PHASER ORDER scene when they take the Enterprise out for a spin for the first time. It’s a silly scene. Don’t begrudge them having a little fun.
    4) I’ll grant you that. They had to have a reason for Data to die. They Chekhov’s Gunned the bejeezus out of the personal transporter unit the first time Picard and Data were on the Scimitar.
    5) No one loved Data more than I did. I wanted to see him as first officer so bad. But killing him off is closure to the series–it’s like everyone either being dead or married at the end of the last Harry Potter book. It brings everything to a tidy conclusion.

I’m not saying Nemesis was Undiscovered Country-level great, or First Contact-level great, but it’s better, hands-down, than any of the odd-numbered movies except Generations and MAYBE the reboot.

11. Phylan

May 07, 2012 11:30 PM

Woops I mixed up Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country. Sybok is annoying but I stand by it.

If all we’re disagreeing on is the relative quality of Nemesis, Insurrection, and a few TOS movies then I guess this isn’t the most dire of standoffs. As long as you don’t think Nemesis is better than Generations or First Contact then I can live with that.

Am I to infer, though, that you prefer the Ent-E to the D?

12. Michael Baumann

May 07, 2012 11:35 PM

And you gripe at me for being conciliatory. And yes, the Enterprise-E is graceful, sleek, feminine…all Enterprises are the product of the aesthetics of the decade in which they were designed, and I prefer the aesthetics of the 1990s to the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s.

13. Josh G

May 08, 2012 02:01 AM

I <3 this thread. Maybe a new Crashburn poll is due for which Star Trek movie is the worst?

May 08, 2012 07:10 PM

I personally enjoyed Nemesis. It’s not First Contact no, but that’s like saying the 2012 Phillies ain’t the 2008 Phillies.

Next ArticlePhillies Reliever Usage, Graphically