Phillies-DBacks Game Thread 4/25/12

Apologies for the lack of game threads lately. All of us have been quite busy and/or under the weather lately. In our absence, however, we have been treated to an offensive explosion as the Phillies have scored 13 runs in their last two games against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Phillies were held scoreless through eight in the first game, but managed to cross the halfway point of a nine-run comeback in the ninth inning. In the second game, Laynce Nix was the hero, going 3-for-3 with a home run and a long single that was almost a homer as well. Pete Orr, surprisingly, knocked in three with a bases-clearing triple as well.

Thankfully, the arduous West coast trip ends today at 3:40 PM as Cole Hamels opposes Trevor Cahill. Hamels is off to a great start, as expected and is looking to bring the Phillies home on a positive note. If the Marlins lose tonight against the Mets, the Phillies could finally get out of the NL East cellar!

Lineups

Phillies

Diamondbacks

April 25, 2012 05:02 PM

Sorry for joining the party late. @hk, I guess it was a really good idea to put Polly at the #2 hole today, huh?

April 25, 2012 05:06 PM

You know, I got hammered for drawing “conclusions” on a 7-9 start, but listening to people now, all of a sudden most people are starting to realize the “window is closing,” when a month ago people thought that idea was crazy after a 102-win season…

3. Noah

April 25, 2012 05:58 PM

I do get that the window is closing. But I don’t think it needs to close. I think the Phillies have a choice to reopen it. The Yankees have been a win now team forever and always manage to find a way to be a contender. The Phil now have the money and fan base to do the same. Now if they are capable of reopening that window with smart decisions is yet to be seen. Regardless this team is better than they have played so far this year.

4. pedro3131

April 25, 2012 07:14 PM

Cole looked terrific today. Minus the 7th he was untouchable. Is it a clause in Papelbon’s contract to not interact with fans? After the game was over he walked by like 8 kids in Phillies gear asking for hi-five’s autographs

April 25, 2012 09:16 PM

@697,

Today yes. The first 18 games of the season, not so much. As far as the window closing, you are in the majority around here as to the impact of the Howard extension, the Papelbon signing, the Brown mishandling, etc. and their impact on the window closing. However, a 7-10 start (now 9-10) without Utley and Howard and with Schmendrick taking a start in place of Cliff Lee is still not evidence enough to me that the window has closed already and that the Phils will miss the 2012 post-season.

April 26, 2012 02:52 PM

My point was that I get hammered for “drawing conclusions” about the rest of the season (which I was not… I was expressing a personal fear) on 16 games, yet a bunch of people seemed to have drawn conclusions on the long-term outlook of the team based on 16 games. I mean, exactly what has happened in a month that would change their minds besides the first 16-18 games? I understand a lot of people already realize the windows are closing. Again, I’m knocking those other people :)

And I never said Phillies will miss the post-season. I said they might now win the division, which is completely different seeing as how there are TWO WC teams now. However, being a WC team is NOT a good thing these days.

April 26, 2012 04:39 PM

Fair enough. I misunderstood your point. Now that I understand it, I agree with you that the window is closing and that the reason for this has everything to do with RAJ’s moves and very little to do with the first 16 or 19 games.

Next ArticleMore on Halladay's Curve "Evolution"