.gifs From Last Night

Cliff Lee had everything working last night from the first inning through the tenth (tenth!). He was arguably as good last night as he has ever been as a Phillie. Check out what the Giants had to contend with after the jump.

Two-seam fastball

Cut fastball

Change-up

Curve

Freddy Galvis also had a nice play, salvaging a lost diving attempt by Laynce Nix by fielding the grounder and getting the putout himself.

1. Steve

April 19, 2012 07:47 AM

I can’t decide what’s happening to me here.

I’m giddy watching the movement on Lee’s pitchers, and loving Galvis’s defense. However, I’m simultaneously furious knowing we couldn’t score 1(!) friggin run to win this game for Lee.

Also, someone should tell Charlie that we spent a lot of money on this pitcher from Boston who’s pretty good and is eligible to pitch in road games when we’re not leading.

2. Dan K.

April 19, 2012 08:45 AM

Cliff Lee is a boss. Galvis is continuing to impress.

I still think our offense is better than this, so I’ll patiently wait for an outbreak. For now.

3. The Old HC

April 19, 2012 08:46 AM

I’m older than Charlie, so I can tell him, “Use your damn closer in close games, “closer” can also be said as CLOSE-ER, you frustrating old fart.”

4. Alan

April 19, 2012 08:47 AM

Is there a better team that has ever been so badly mismanaged by a Front Office and Manager?

If I were a GM first thing I would do was ban mention of the Save rule anywhere in the organisation – it’s ludicrous that people manager according to a stat rather than trying to win a game.

As for the Offence – this was so badly handled in the off-season it’s a sackable offence. Best we can do now is call up Dom Brown now and put Mayberry at 1st.

5. The Old HC

April 19, 2012 09:05 AM

I like Charlie and his country ways, but he seems totally ignorant of the facts this year. Yeah, the game still comes down to individual performance and the feel of a player in a certain situation, which Charlie has shown he has when he has all the pieces. But, it is still a game describable and confined by mathematical certitudes, i.e., 90 feet, 60 feet 6 inches and a nine ounce ball. Things will happen more often than not in geometrical patterns that can be described and in some cases predicted. To make a long story short, Wiggy does not field like Polly and Bastardo does not yield ground balls and strikeouts like Papelbon. If you really want to do all you can to win a game you go with your best rational choices not some old timey gut feeling. I cannot describe how much I feel sorry for Charlie for he is truly in over his head this year.

6. Richard

April 19, 2012 10:20 AM

I agree that Charlie made several bad decisions last night, but getting on his case every single time Papelbon doesn’t appear in a close game is tiresome. Bastardo (and Qualls) are guys that the Phillies need to be able to use in situations like that. And, in fact, Bastardo was fine. Should’ve been out of it (if only Polanco’d been in the game!).

April 19, 2012 10:23 AM

Hey, if you’re tired of hearing about Papelbon rotting away in the bullpen, I know just the guy to talk to…

8. Richard

April 19, 2012 10:30 AM

Are you suggesting Bastardo and Qualls are not late-inning guys who need to be trusted?

9. LTG

April 19, 2012 10:33 AM

What the hell was Nix thinking on that grounder? If he fields it there is no chance to get the runner.

10. yo

April 19, 2012 11:05 AM

Galvis was in the friggin’ grass when that ball was hit. Pretty amazing.

11. Scott G

April 19, 2012 12:58 PM

Bill,

Do you still think the Phillies will win as many games as you predicted in the draft?

I’m not suggesting they’re as bad as they’re playing right now, but the manager is killing them.

12. Scott G

April 19, 2012 02:33 PM

Of course such a small sample size shouldn’t affect your outlook on the team’s potential. However, you’re saying that your W-L prediction included Manuel completely mishandling games to the extent that he has?

13. Mike E

April 19, 2012 04:28 PM

Bill, need your help–I recall a similar game in SF (I remember chain-link in the outfield) where a Phils pitcher took a perfect game into extras and lost with a walk and an extra base hit allowed. Was this Larry Christensen?

Next ArticleA Closer Look at Lee's Masterpiece