Episode 1 of the Crashburn Alley Podcast

Download the full episode by clicking here. (Right click > Save as…)

Topics:

• (0:00-2:55) Introductions
  • (2:55-5:22) Trivia
  • (5:22-12:45) Michael and Ryan respond to a response to Michael’s pessimistic article
  • (12:48-23:28) Are the Phillies still the favorites? Are they too old?
  • Break
  • (23:56-28:50) Is the Phillies’ offense going to be a problem?
  • (28:50-35:35) The Phillies’ pitching staff, signing Cole Hamels
  • (35:35-48:08) What stats would we like to see used on baseball broadcasts? Camera angles!
  • (48:08-74:50) Twitter questions and answers:
  • (48:08-53:20) via @WalkoffWoodward: Are the Phillies going to be bad in 3 years?
  • (53:20-59:10) via @Slap_bet: Find something positive to say about the Phillies!
  • (59:10-60:20) via @SmallUpsetter: Non Sequitur
  • (60:20-65:20) via @longenhagen: Explaining Sabermetrics to people
  • (65:20-74:50) via @euphronius: How are the Phillies successful in spite of Ruben Amaro? Who will be held responsible if Juan Pierre gets 600 PA?
  • This would have been the spot for a segment on Phillies prospects with new Crashburn writer Bradley Ankrom, but he was under the weather and had to reschedule. He’ll be on next weekend’s episode if all goes according to plan. This is why the podcast ends abruptly.
  • As this is the first episode, it is very important to us that you leave feedback, positive or negative. Let us know what you did and didn’t like. Paul’s sound ranges from awful to good, but there’s nothing I could do about that as I believe it is simply Skype’s fault. Unfortunately, in this episode, I come out of one speaker while the other three come from the other. I hope to fiddle with more settings so everyone comes from both speakers.

This podcast will be available on iTunes but it isn’t yet, so please be patient! [UPDATE: It’s on iTunes now.]

Thanks to Dirty Ghosts (@DirtyGhosts) for granting us permission to use their music. You can see them at the Mausoleum of Contemporary Art in Philadelphia on April 20th. Check out their video for “Ropes That Way“:

Dirty Ghosts – “Ropes That Way” (Official Video) from Last Gang Records on Vimeo.

A special thank you to Spike Eskin (@SpikeEskin) for giving me plenty of advice along the way to start the podcast, and for being an all-around great guy.

1. Brad

April 02, 2012 08:07 AM

Can’t wait to check it out! Is there an RSS feed for it?

2. Brad

April 02, 2012 08:27 AM

Works like a dream, thanks, Bill.

3. Jeff T

April 02, 2012 08:53 AM

There are 22 2nd graders who won’t be learning anything today. . . .

4. Josh G

April 02, 2012 09:34 AM

You already pointed out the various sound issues. If Skype is going to be that terrible maybe try another VOIP. Ventrillo?

I really enjoyed the roundtable style discussion. That format works very well.

In the beginning you stated your goal was to elicit a chuckle along with everything else: mission accomplished. Eric Bruntlett will never look like Babe Ruth.

5. Brad

April 02, 2012 09:39 AM

I’m a fairly new host on SiriusXM, still learning a lot of the ins and outs, but I have a bit of advice.

I’ve been taught to “reset” a lot, meaning show name, channel info, repeating the guest’s name, that kinda stuff. It’s not as important for a podcast as it is for a radio show, where people may be stumbling across it, but repetition of names is really key. For much of the podcast, I was confused as to who was talking, especially since everyone has pretty similar vocal characteristics. It may feel awkward, but re-introducing people and topics repeatedly is a good idea to keep the audience on track with what’s happening.

The information and analysis sounds great. Technical issues will be worked out, I’m sure, but nothing was inaudible.

Looking forward to future episodes!

6. Dan

April 02, 2012 10:06 AM

I liked the podcast and your discussions were very interesting. However, some of the segments feature long breaks (5 or 10 seconds) of dead air which made me wonder whether the audio completely cut out or just no one was talking. I guess part of that was Skype-related but whatever the reason, it was quite distracting. I’d suggest doing some quick editing to get rid of the dead air. Soundbooth or other similar programs that show the audio levels would let you quickly scroll to portions of the file with no sound and delete them. From a production standpoint, that would be a very simple and productive change.

April 02, 2012 10:09 AM

What do you mean by “long breaks”? Can you point out an example (i.e. “at 32:15″)?

I did try to cut out most of the long pauses with Audacity but I apologize if I missed any.

8. bje79

April 02, 2012 10:13 AM

69 MB? What am I, made of bandwidth?

In all seriousness though, a lot of podcasts I listen to try to keep episodes to 20 MB, because that is the limit to what iTunes will let you download over 3G on a mobile device.

Many of them are close to an hour though, so not sure why yours was so large, unless it’s just some sort of compression difference.

9. Franklin Rabon

April 02, 2012 10:15 AM

One way you can do things is have everybody record their own audio, email you their files, and then just use the skype feed to sync things up. It’s a little bit of a hassle, but it does make for substantially improved audio. To do this, you need to use a program that splits the separate tracks (l-r) out into separate audio files, which you can then export into audacity (or whatever mixing program you use, I use garageband on my mac). The program I use on my mac to record skype actually comes with this utility, though I’m not sure what’s out there for PC.

I actually liked having them panned. If you have 3 people, one thing you can do is put you, the discussion moderator in the middle (ie coming from both sides of the audio), and then pan each of the guests hard left or hard right. This would clear up a lot of the confusion as to who was talking, as it was only ever really clear when you (bill) were talking who was talking. Again though, you could only do that if you had everybody send their own audio tracks, because I believe that all the skype recording programs only split your audio into one track and then everybody else’s is all lumped into one track.

The music was a good bit louder than the voices, which can really mess with people who are listening with headphones as they slowly keep turning up the audio, then the break hits and they’re being blasted.

You might also consider a noise gate, which basically cuts background noise out when someone isn’t talking. I think audacity has that (though its been a while since I’ve used audacity).

Format wise, I really liked how you laid it out. for being about an hour and a quarter, it never really felt like it dragged.

Obviously the content was all top notch.

10. Dan

April 02, 2012 10:24 AM

Bill, clearly I’m an idiot. I started out listening via my laptop speakers and didn’t notice that the different voices are panned left and right. When I switched to headphones, I only had one earbud in place and completely lost one person’s audio input, resulting in the ‘dead air.’ Sorry about that. But on that topic, what’s the reason for the left-right panning of the audio? I’m not really a fan of that.

11. ed

April 02, 2012 10:28 AM

Hey Bill, loved the content. Only thing I would say is you had the audio set up weird (i listened on headphones) where you only came out of the left and everyone else out of the right. I guess that’s non-stereo?

April 02, 2012 10:47 AM

Re: the left/right audio issue: That’s an error on my part. I couldn’t figure out how to make them even, but Kevin Goldstein told me how to do it, so it should be fixed for the next episode.

@bje79

Do you (or anyone, for that matter) know how I can compress the file without losing quality?

13. ed

April 02, 2012 10:53 AM

Dont compress the file! Higher quality audio= better. If someone doesnt like it dl it at home on wifi.

14. Paul Boye

April 02, 2012 11:02 AM

Heaven forbid we squish our divine voices down to 96 kbps!! I simply won’t stand for that rubbish

15. bje79

April 02, 2012 11:10 AM

@ed i’m just saying that a lot of people seem to like to download them during the day to listen to on the ride home. Although that normally matters more when the podcast is timely (like a daily podcast), not sure how often the CA guys are planning on doing this.

April 02, 2012 11:14 AM

We’ll be doing this weekly, hopefully. I might be gainfully employed soon, though, so I’m not 100% on that.

17. Franklin Rabon

April 02, 2012 11:32 AM

Bill,

If you don’t want the voices panned, and you don’t care if the music is in stereo, one easy way to cut your bandwidth in half without losing any quality is to upload it in mono.

April 02, 2012 11:37 AM

I’ll aim to put it in mono when next week’s episode is up for editing. Thanks again for the great feedback.

19. pedro3131

April 02, 2012 11:42 AM

What’s the easiest way to listen to this on a droid? Would be perfect for my 75 minute walk to school

20. Ryan Sommers

April 02, 2012 12:25 PM

There is a podcast app for Android called “BeyondPod” which is just excellent for listening to and keeping track of podcasts, I use it all of the time. You should probably be able to add ours by using the RSS feed link that Bill posted above. In any case, it’s worthwhile to have if you listen to any others regularly.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. With a weekly schedule I think we’ll have plenty of chances to figure out what works and what doesn’t, and this helps a lot.

21. bje79

April 02, 2012 01:33 PM

iCatcher is also a very good podcast app. I use it on iOS, but it looks like it’s available for Android too. Let’s you search/subscribe to podcasts. Also lets you customize which podcasts get automatically downloaded over either 3G or WiFi, which is very useful.

22. angryelvis

April 02, 2012 02:13 PM

@bje79 – Apple changed their app policy to 50MB, I think that also applies to podcasts as well. Also, I found the Podcaster app to be mighty good for subscribing/streaming pods

23. bje79

April 02, 2012 02:35 PM

@angryelvis Oh they did? Is that a recent change? I stopped using iTunes mobile recently because i was fed up w/ the 20MB limit, and the inability to subscribe to podcasts.

April 02, 2012 04:55 PM

On a totally unrelated topic… Cain’s new contract = we are so screwed when it comes to Cole Hamels.

25. Ryan Sommers

April 02, 2012 05:05 PM

Hamels’ contract was always going to be 5+ years, 100+ million dollars, which is well within the Phillies’ capabilities. I don’t think the Cain contract is that big of a deal.

26. Jeff P

April 03, 2012 08:27 PM

Greatly enjoyed the podcast. When listening to WIP, I scream at the radio every 3 minutes. I didn’t scream at you guys once, and had legitimate laughs on a few occasions.

As someone else mentioned, I actually kinda liked having Bill in the left and the other three on the right, helped me at least know when he was talking, and after a while I could kinda keep the other three together.

And whichever one of you eats like a seven year old, chicken fingers are the best, no shame in that!

Next ArticleCole Hamels and Matt Cain