Miscellany

A few notes pertaining to your neighborhood Phillies blog.

1. The four of us will be putting out a weekly podcast about the Phillies starting in April. Tentatively, we will be recording on Sunday evenings and you should be able to download it the next day. We will figure out the specifics as we go along in terms of duration, topics, segments, etc. Expect the same high level discourse you’re used to reading on the podcast with all of the usual nerdery. I’m very new to the podcasting game, so I apologize in advance for any hiccups.

Music will be provided by Dirty Ghosts (@DirtyGhosts), whose album Metal Moon is available now. We will try to add more music variety throughout the year. If you’re a musician looking for exposure, or know someone of the sort, please contact me. We’re all open-minded when it comes to music, so don’t be bashful.

If you run a business, or know someone who does, and would benefit from advertising, we are looking for podcast sponsors (as well as blog sponsors). This helps pay for storage space, equipment, etc. so it is not coming directly out of my pocket. You can support us otherwise by tuning in every week and thanking Dirty Ghosts and any sponsors by email, on Twitter, or on Facebook. You can reach me via email — crashburnalley [at] gmail [dot] com with any inquiries or suggestions.

2. We will be accepting guest posts throughout the year. I can’t guarantee every article will be used, but if they pass the smell test, it is a great way to get some exposure on blogs and social media. Email them to the address listed above with details of everything you’d like to plug (blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). The only criteria I have is that your work cannot be cross-posted elsewhere.

3. Your input requested: What would you like to see more of on the blog during the season? What would you like to see less of? Anything new you would like to see? Remember, YOU (yes, you) are the reason we write, so your feedback is essential to us.

Around the Web

There’s been a lot of action here at Crashburn and elsewhere, so here are a few links to keep you up to date.

• Michael Baumann wrote nearly 4,000 words on why he doesn’t like the designated hitter. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to check out the article if you haven’t already. [Link]
  • There’s no reason to panic about Roy Halladay’s less-than-stellar spring training to date. [Link]
  • Chase Utley is the most important player in baseball. [Link]
  • The Phillies made a few spring training cuts. What that means and who benefits. [Link]
  • At ESPN Sweet Spot, I wrote about why Jeremy Hellickson isn’t the regression candidate many Saberists expect him to be. [Link]
  • At The Score, I created a hilarious .gif of Chien-Ming Wang falling down on a play at first base. [Link]
  • I spoke with Dan Stamm of NBC Philadelphia’s Philthy Stuff, talking about my book “100 Things Phillies Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die“. [Link]
  • On Wednesday, I spoke with friend of the blog and guest contributor Thomas Holzerman (@tholzerman) about the Phillies and the upcoming season on his podcast. Look for that to be available next week.
  • I should be making an appearance on 94 WIP at some point during the week. Details to follow.

1. Jonny

March 16, 2012 08:18 AM

Bill, I’m curious. How will you be able to appear on WIP without arguing with the hosts when they slam most statistics over and over again? Also Please smack Cataldi in the head every time he fakes a laugh. He’s no good at the fake laugh so he should cut it down to about once every 5 minutes instead of his twice every minute schedule he’s now on. That makes me flip the channel more often than his Statistical ignorance does actually.

2. Brian

March 16, 2012 09:53 AM

More player trend analysis, like the “Investigating Ryan Howard’s Decline”. I really enjoy the long-format articles and of course, more gifs.

3. Richard

March 16, 2012 02:35 PM

btw, Bill, your chat w/Dan Stamm had me going back to Baseball-Reference to again look up the Pirates game, where their announcer said he’d walk home if the Pirates lost… I’d remembered listening to that entire game on the radio, but my main memory of the game, outside the comeback and the announcer stuff, was Steve Jeltz hitting homeruns from both sides of the plate… it was surprising to see Von Hayes mentioned so prominently in the chat, but sure enough, I saw he’d hit two homeruns himself. Completely forgotten that (and he’d been one of my favorite players, too).

As I was looking, I was struck by the weirdness of the lineup. It was a grab-bag of once stars, for other teams and the Phillies. Randy Ready at 3rd, Tom Herr at 2nd (I’d completely forgotten he played for the Phils, he’ll always be a Cardinal to me; Jeltz took over for him at 2nd–I’d also forgotten he ever played 2nd!), Dickie Thon at SS, Juan Samuel in Center, plus Kruk at 1st and Daulton at C (batting 8th!). What an odd assortment of players.

The Pirates meanwhile were just on the cusp of being the great team they were for a while, with Bonds (hitting leadoff!), Bonilla, Van Slyke, Leyland managing… They’d lost 6 in a row coming in, before scoring 10 runs in the first, hence the comment. Good times.

4. Dave Clark

March 16, 2012 03:17 PM

Dave Patten (@dave_patten) is a philly rock/pop/hip hop artist–we ran an ad on your site a couple of years ago. I’d be glad to send you some cds if you would consider using the music during your podcast, just email me and let me know where to send the info. Thanks, DC

March 16, 2012 04:26 PM

More of your “blasting other ‘journalists’ for crappy ‘journalism'” posts. They might be counter-productive, but they are fun as hell :)

March 16, 2012 04:54 PM

@ Phillie697

Thankfully, the Phillies’ beat has really become awesome recently. It’s rare that there’s a need to put anyone on blast. Hale, Murphy, Gelb, Salisbury, etc. do a fantastic job.

7. Phylan

March 16, 2012 06:30 PM

Yeah, having written the most recent entry in that genre, I just want to reiterate that Phillies fans are extraordinarily lucky to have the journalists they have in their court, for the most part.

March 18, 2012 07:12 AM

BB,

On which WIP host’s show will you be appearing? Are you being invited to debate the host on issues (a la Keith Law’s smack-down of Mikey Miss on the Ryan Howard contract) or for a more congenial discussion?

March 18, 2012 04:45 PM

I’ll probably be on with Spike Eskin talking about my book and the upcoming season for the Phillies, similar to my spot on his podcast.

10. sjhaack

March 19, 2012 04:22 PM

I demand random off-topic nonsense during your podcast. It’s not a real podcast unless 2/3 of it is about hot dogs, The Cleat Debate: plastic vs metal, and of course whether the Phillies are more like a dog or a cat.

11. Jeff Davis

March 23, 2012 10:28 AM

It would be wonderful if your podcast were available via iTunes. That way, it could be automatically downloaded to those who subscribed to it. I fear I am gonna have a hard time remembering to download the podcast.

Please give this some thought.

Next ArticleTutorial: Making an Animated .gif