Phillies Are Good Trivia

I tweeted these after the game, but I thought they were interesting enough to share with the rest of you who aren’t yet on the Twitters.

• If the Phillies go 14-15 over the rest of season, the Braves would need to go 22-5 to win the NL East.
  • Isn’t it amazing the Phillies can play sub-.500 baseball the rest of the way and still finish with over 100 wins?
  • The Phillies’ best record through 133 games was 83-49-1, set in 1899. Obviously, at 87-46, the 2011 Phillies beat that quite easily.
  • The 433 runs the Phillies have allowed through 133 games is the fourth-fewest in franchise history, behind 1908, 1915, and 1916.
  • The lowest runs allowed total through 133 games, among live ball-era Phillies teams, was the 1976 team that allowed 468.

Other trivia (h/t @magelb)

• Opponents are hitting .112 against Antonio Bastardo in 2011. That would be the lowest ever in baseball history for a pitcher w/50 IP.
  • Phillies are 41 games over .500, tying the franchise’s highest mark. That’s in 129 years of baseball.
  • The Phillies have swept a four-game series in Cincinnati for the first time since May 1916.
  • The Phillies are 109-53 in their last 162 regular-season games. (Random endpoints, of course.)

1. Ryan Sommers

September 02, 2011 08:52 AM

The 1899 Phils would have won 100 games in a 162 game schedule, and still finished in 3rd place, 9 games back. That tie was October 5th, 1899 at Baltimore, but unfortunately I don’t see any info on why it ended in a tie. Probably due to darkness.

2. Rob

September 02, 2011 09:05 AM

Any idea where that 433 runs allowed ranks among live ball teams in MLB history, not just Phillies? Or since they lowered the mound, which may be a fairer comparison?

3. Dan

September 02, 2011 09:29 AM

There’s been some talk on this site about Worley’s eventual regression, but his stat line from yesterday, save for the HR, seemed to line up to be strong saber-oriented outing (high K/9, low BB/9). Seems like he’s had a few of these types of outings and I’m wondering if you’re perspective on his talent level has changed. It would also seem that at such a young age, he would be able to improve his peripherals (especially learning from the aces).

Thanks for the good information and debate.

4. Ryan

September 02, 2011 09:44 AM

@Rob
    I don’t know where it compares to other teams, but I’ve read since they lowered the mound, no team has ever pitched 20 or more combined shutouts in back to back years. Last year, we had 21, and this year, we have 19. If that means anything to you.

5. Richard

September 02, 2011 09:49 AM

Dan, here’s a post that addresses that very topic:

www.brotherlyglove.com/2011/09/02/the-old-worley-vs-oswalt-debate/

Upshot is his peripherals have been improving…. one caveat may be his % of called third strikes vs. swinging. If he stops fooling batters with that 2-seamer–second or third time round the league, for example–we may well see some different results. He’d need to adapt to that himself, and if he doesn’t get more swinging strikes, it could be difficult.

6. LTG

September 02, 2011 10:00 AM

Does this mean the epic Howard debate is over?

7. Buzzsaw

September 02, 2011 11:25 AM

in 2006, we won 85 games. Our win total has increased each year since then,

2007 89
    2008 92
    2009 93
    2010 97
    2011 100+

We should be amazing next year and should go undefeated by 2045

8. Buzzsaw

September 02, 2011 11:34 AM

My favorite stat is the following a loss the Philles are 36-10 (.783 ball)

Our only losing ‘streaks’ have been

4/18-4/19 2 games (3-6 0-9)
    4/25-4/26 2 games (0-4 5-7)
    5/14-5/17 4 games (3-5 2-3 1-3 1-2)
    5/31-6/ 4 4 games (2-10 1-2 1-2 3-6)
    7/27-7/28 2 games (1-2 1-4)
    8/24-8/26 2 games (4-7 5-6)

following a win we are ‘only’ 50-36 (.581)

9. Buzzsaw

September 02, 2011 11:36 AM

We need to finish 5-24 to match the record of the 2008 World Champion Philadelphia Phillies

10. jonny5

September 02, 2011 02:21 PM

Bill, I’m begging you. Can you compare the 85 million dollar “ace” Jered Weaver to Vance Worley?? Pretty please…. I’d love your take on this. I’d love to see why people think Weaver is comparable to Hamels when his xFip looks like it does, but Worley is lucky to be a #4. And I’m not claiming Worley is an “ace” here. I just don’t understand the infatuation with Weaver. Last season alone?

11. Jim Z.

September 02, 2011 03:16 PM

Is there still a shot at setting one of the records for regular season wins? In all of MLB, the record is 116, so they would have to be perfect through the rest of the season just to tie this record, but if I’m not mistaken, the record is substantially less in the NL?

12. Buzzsaw

September 02, 2011 04:00 PM

1906 Cubs went 116-36.

Since the 162 game schedule, the most wins for an NL team is 108

75 Reds
    86 Mets

the odds we go 21-8 the rest of the way is ~ 7:1

13. phillyinportland

September 02, 2011 05:04 PM

Following up on Buzzsaw’s point about losing streaks, I saw the following in a posting by Mike Lopresti of the Ashville Citizen-Times: The Phillies have lost back-to-back games only six times all season. The last team to own fewer losing streaks was the Chicago Cubs — in 1906.
    I have no idea how one checks that – or whether there have been other recent teams with only six losing streaks – but it would appear to be another piece of good trivia.
    (I looked at the 2001 Seattle Mariners’ game log and they lost consecutive games 11 times.)

14. buzzsaw

September 02, 2011 07:23 PM

i think you only need to check the great and the horrifically bad teams

15. AGH

September 02, 2011 08:23 PM

In the Philly tradition of finding a cloud in every silver lining, is anyone else worried that Juan Samuel is a real liability come the postseason? The Phillies have to lead the league in outs made at the plate.

16. Scott G

September 02, 2011 08:33 PM

Why am I still watching Roy oswalt pitch in the bottom of the seventh with 109 pitches?!!

September 02, 2011 10:33 PM

Bec Charlie is channeling his inter Dusty Baker and saying, “real men don’t have pitch counts, and I have a staff full of real men.”

18. Joe

September 02, 2011 11:31 PM

AGH,

I actually just wrote an email to the site asking how many men we’ve had thrown out at the plate this year and how it compares to previous years. It seems like an enormous amount.

Tonight was ridiculous- slowest runner at third, one out, and Utley about to come up to bat with two men in scoring position.

19. Richard

September 03, 2011 08:07 AM

Joe – I agree sending Ruiz was a bad move (and I believe Samuel will be let go after this season), but Ruiz is not the “slowest runner”. I’m pretty sure these days that’s Howard. Ruiz moves pretty well, and actually made the play close.

20. LTG

September 03, 2011 08:33 AM

Samuel seems to work on the principle that the defense will make the play only 50% of the time anyway, so the risk is worth it. Or something like that. Obviously, the problem with looking only at men thrown out at the plate is that Samuel might be getting more runs than he loses by sending runners aggressively and we have no way of measuring whether that is true or not. The 3rd base coach who never gets someone thrown out at the plate is probably not taking enough risks, especially on balls hit to the outfield. I would wager that, if we could measure such things, Samuel’s aggressive style has produced more runs on balls hit to the outfield than Perlozzo’s style the previous year.

21. LTG

September 03, 2011 08:34 AM

Oh, and I should give props to BB for setting me straight when I complained about Samuel very early in the season.

22. Josh G

September 03, 2011 09:01 AM

In a way of risk assessment, it is very similar to stolen bases. As great as the Phillie’s primary base stealers are, I would love to see even more attempts – especially if it leads to only a 75% success rate among the attempts we haven’t taken yet.

23. Joe

September 03, 2011 09:41 AM

LTG,

After seeing Howard thrown out at the plate at least five times this year, you’ll understand if I am reluctant to give Juan Samuel the benefit of the doubt.

24. buzzsaw

September 03, 2011 09:56 PM

The Phillies are +174 runs this year. That is more than the other 3 probable NL playoff teams combined

Atl +64
    Mil +62
    Arix +35
    Total +161

25. Scott G

September 03, 2011 10:19 PM

“mike cameron is pretty bad, I don’t know why they’d pitch to Sanchez.”. (1 second elapses. Home run

Hey, let’s use Madson in situations that arent the highest leverage.

26. jonny5

September 06, 2011 10:18 AM

Bill,

Vance has better #’s. Does he not? Learn me.

27. jonny5

September 06, 2011 10:28 AM

Almost every # for Vance is slightly better than Verlander, and you’re going to use flyball rate to say otherwise? c’mon!!! Worley bird should poop on you. :P

28. Chris

September 07, 2011 04:34 PM

My favorite stat right now is that the Phillies are 28-9 this year against lefty starters, their supposed weakness. That’s easily the best in MLB this year.

Next ArticleSearching for True Power