About Last Night…

So, just about everybody will have you covered with what went on last night, and I don’t have too much to add. The Nationals’ six-run ninth inning was one part Ryan Madson getting unlucky and one part Madson pitching poorly. (All right, maybe a dash of credit to the Nats for rallying in the first place.) Based on the reactions I saw on Twitter, there was a lot of knee-jerking, so I just want all of Philadelphia to know I have a rolled-up newspaper and I’m not afraid to hit you with it if you get out of line.

Remember: crashburnalley.com/2011/07/25/phillies-pitching-dominant-including-the-bullpen/

Take the loss in stride, like Chase Utley.

1. Gaël

August 21, 2011 06:17 AM

Robby,

Here’s a quote from CC Sabathia after he gave up 5 homeruns to the Rays in a 5-1 loss on August 12:

“It just happens,” Sabathia said. “I just don’t know what else to say.”

Here’s a quote from Mariano Rivera after he gave up two runs in the 9th in a 6-4 loss to the LA Angels on August 9:

“I don’t worry about that. That’s going to happen,” Rivera said. “Unfortunately, it happened tonight.”

And a third one, also from Rivera, after he blew a save against the Red Sox on August 7:

“I don’t call it disappointing or frustrating. We lost the series. That’s baseball,” Rivera said. “We’ve been playing great.”

I don’t recall either of them having been run out of New York recently.

Relievers will give up leads every once in a while. That’s going to happen. You seem to think that when that happens, they should react by saying, “It’s all my fault, I’ll do better next time” (even when it isn’t necessarily the case; Madson didn’t pitch as well as he usually does, but he was also very unlucky), and that if they don’t, it proves they don’t care. Most of us disagree.

It’s a long season. Getting hung up on today’s loss is the best way to lose tomorrow’s game. Or, you know, to break a toe.

August 21, 2011 07:21 AM

I’m going to need a lot of solid evidence (and a piece of paper showing me that you’re a doctor) before I buy into any of that psychology mumbo jumbo.

3. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 08:22 AM

It’s simple, Bill – the game is won mentally before it is won physically.

4. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 08:26 AM

Gael: You trying to prove my point? Nowhere, in the examples you give, do I see a reference to the Yankees getting beaten by a better team or a more-highly skilled individual who came through in the clutch.

5. Mike B.

August 21, 2011 08:42 AM

Robby, if you think this team isn’t mentally tough, or if you think any of the important players are mentally soft, I can assume only that you haven’t been paying attention. The fact you think Madson lacks “intensity” means that you must have been watching a different team than me for the last several years.

6. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 08:59 AM

Mike B. – I will meet you halfway, here. That is to say, I think it is the manager who is soft, and frankly, starting with Utley and Halladay, we do have some real “Gamers” here.

7. Jim

August 21, 2011 09:44 AM

@ Mike B.

Well said.

Can you imagine what it would be like to work for either Gary or Robby Bonfire? -

“Happy Friday, Robby.”

“What?! Are you saying that you are looking forward to the end of the work week?! That you don’t love coming here everyday? What a rotten attitude! You’re fired! No, wait, I’m calling mandatory overtime! First you work all weekend and then you’re fired!

8. Scott G

August 21, 2011 11:57 AM

Robby-

It’s comments like the ones that you have been making since last night that cause people to throw the “troll” line out there. Do you really believe that Madson is weak mentally? If so, I hope you have a lot more proof than just that quote. Neither the home run nor the quote really mean anything towards Madson’s abilities. I’ll take the over 90% of the time where Madson is a beast over any stupid quote or small sample any day.

My guess is that you also like David Eckstein.

9. Smitty

August 21, 2011 02:52 PM

Well, still looks like the post is dominiated by rehashing Madsen’s psyche by arm chair psycharists. Bottom line, one little off the cuff comment to the media does not a mentality make. If so, like the posts suggest, I guess mariano rivera just doesn’t have the mentality to be a closer. Hope he does better in his next career. Glad that’s settled.
    I still have a bigger issue with Halladay’s staying in the whole ninth. Clearly, Charlie Manual is an excellent manager, but his strength is not game management. His strength is ego and clubhouse management, kind of like Phil Jackson. Clearly, that style of mangmt works. But you get games like Halladay’s blown ninth. What are the consequences? One game? Hmmm. Well, Halladay looked rough in the early going today. What are the consequences of an over tired ace going down the stretch? Again, to claridy, I had no problem with Doc STARTING the ninth; how Charlie let him struggle to the bitter end of the ninth is the problem. It was a case of ego/personality managment style wining over obvious X’s and O’s game management.
    Oh well, enough second guessing. WE ALL KNOW THE FINAL JURY ON THIS TEAM IS IN LATE OCTOBER. Is Charlie’s style enough to get another championship? Because with this level of historic talent at so many spots, a WS ring is the only rightful outcome.

10. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 07:15 PM

Jim -

I tell you who I would not work for, under any circumstances – Charlie Manuel, even if I were Babe Ruth, reincarnate.

11. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 07:23 PM

SMITTY – I hate to break this to you, but all too often the best team in baseball does not win the W.S., in the three-tier, made for TV commercial stench format of today. In fact, rarely now, do the two best teams in baseball both make it to the Series, and sometimes the damn W.S. comes down to a runner-up, consolation prize fiasco.

Seattle won 116 games, 2001 I believe it was = no World Series appearance. The Mets got to the Series one year with a record of 82-79. The Phillies a year ago were best in the N.L. by five games, you know the result.

So that being as good as the Phillies have been from April – August is really nice, but no guarantee of any post-season ultimate success.

I wish it were different, but, like our politicians, those at the top in baseball sold out the integrity of the game and made a farcical joke out of the interminably-long regular season.

12. Robby Bonfire

August 21, 2011 07:30 PM

I don’t care for David Eckstein, but I do like David Ben-Gurion and Billy Eckstein. lol.

Next ArticleRisk Aversion