Tuesday Links and Miscellany

No time to throw up a post today, so I’m going to post a couple of miscellaneous items and then some links to good stuff around the blogosphere.

Tune into Phillies 24/7 HD radio today at 2 PM ET or tomorrow at 3 PM ET for the latest edition of “Stathead” with myself and my co-host Jeff Sottolano. We’ll talk about the last week in Phillies baseball.

I’m legitimately awful at Facebook, so for the longest time, I was using an account for the blog as if it were an actual person. As such, people needed confirmation in order to see the blog information. I finally made the switch to a fan page. If you are so inclined, click here and mash the “Like” button. Pretend it says “dislike” if necessary.

You can also follow me on Twitter @CrashburnAlley. I’m usually there during Phillies games, so join the conversation if you’d like some company while the Phillies kick some National League tail.

I mentioned when I asked readers to fill out a survey that I am interested in doing live chats. The survey results revealed that the best time for a chat is during an actual game, and that the chats occur between once a series and once a week. I’ll aim for once a week for now. Once I get a laptop and wireless Internet situated, look for the live chats. Hopefully before the month is out.

Links

Brotherly Glove: Corey Seidman praises Charlie Manuel and counts down the days until the Marlins designate Javier Vazquez for assignment. [Link]

Philled In: David Hale has a video of Joe Blanton talking about his start after last night’s game. [Link]

Phillies Zone: Matt Gelb explains why Manuel left Vance Worley in to pitch the eighth inning. [Link]

High Cheese: David Murphy has notes on all of the injured Phillies, including Roy Oswalt. [Link]

The Fightins: Holy hell. You have to read this. Just another example why it’s The Fightins’ world and we’re just blogging in it. [Link]

Phillies Nation: Remember Phillippe Aumont? He doesn’t suck anymore. Jay Floyd interviews him about his newfound success and more. [Link]

Baseball Prospectus: Jason Parks posted the first two parts of a four-part series on scouting. [Link 1, Link 2]

ESPN SweetSpot: David Schoenfield discusses the increased value of bullpens in baseball now that run-scoring has deflated. [Link]

Capitol Avenue: Kevin Orris goes in-depth on Jair Jurrjens’ new approach to pitching, sans injury. [Link]

Mets Today: Roland Agni wonders if Kevin Millwood is a good fit for the Mets. *snicker* [Link]

River Ave Blues: Hannah Ehrlich has the dos and don’ts of ballpark attire. [Link]

The Book Blog: A Crashburn Alley reader picked Tango’s mind about wOBA. [Link]

Baseball Musings: David Pinto wonders if the current decline in BABIP is a fluke or trend. [Link]

The Hardball Times: Harry Pavlidis provides the latest benchmarks for pitch types (Pitch F/X). [Link]

Amazin’ Avenue: Which Phillie is the least favorite among Mets fans? [Link]

Hardball Talk: Craig Calcaterra points out the silliness in curbing baseball players’ pre-game fraternization. [Link]

Finally, to steal a gimmick from Aaron Gleeman’s Link-O-Rama, here’s a music YouTube.

1. Phil

May 10, 2011 04:57 PM

Portugal. The Man is awesome. You have to check out “Censored Colors.” It’s their “Abbey Road.” Yes, I just compared Portugal. The Man to The Beatles (should of kept John Lennon).

2. I

May 10, 2011 06:41 PM

Can we have a most hated met poll?! I just want to see how much Reyes wins by.

3. Scott

May 11, 2011 08:53 AM

The ‘Phillies High’ bit on TheFightins.com was the funniest thing I’ve read in a very long time. I’m beyond ecstatic that the site is up and running again.

So Bill, what’s your take on last night? Frustrating stuff, eh?

May 11, 2011 09:43 AM

I expected it to be a pitcher’s duel going in, and I generally am not upset with 2-1 losses when it’s Halladay/Johnson, but the way they lost was definitely frustrating. I think we’re all getting a little antsy waiting for Utley and Brown to come back.

5. Scott G

May 11, 2011 09:52 AM

Bill,

Could you direct me to a good article/study on whether lineup protection exists?

6. Scott

May 11, 2011 09:58 AM

In terms of final score, it’s exactly what I expected. The bases loaded situation in the 2nd inning with nobody out is what killed me. Don’t forget Chooch as well. He would have had a 3-run double in that situation ;)

7. Scott G

May 11, 2011 10:15 AM

Thanks Bill.

I don’t understand people. I preface my rant by saying, that I acknowledge that I am voluntarily listening to 610 while at work, and this subjecting myself to this, but still…

Just yesterday, Anthony and Glen were referencing some MLB player (I forget who), but gave the player a huge nod because he is an All-Star, as if it’s necessarily a quality credential. Today, they are trying to find listeners who are willing to compete in a contest to punch the most All-Star ballots with all 8 Phillies players in the shortest amount of time. Clearly, Wilson Valdez, Raul Ibanez, and Ben Francisco deserve to be all-stars, and this time next year we can hear about how they are all elite at their positions.

8. Scott

May 11, 2011 10:19 AM

Oh man, FanSince09 reference. Don’t you know that Cole Hamels sucks, and Veterans’ Stadium was just an urban legend?

May 11, 2011 10:19 AM

Other Scott (G),

You deserve your brain hemorrhage if you’re voluntarily listening to that station and critically analyzing what they’re saying.

10. Scott G

May 11, 2011 10:47 AM

I generally listen because I find some of the things funny/entertaining, primarily Keith Jones, and some of the segments/games they play, but obviously I’m opening myself up to it. They can’t be serious though. They’ve been throwing “great baseball man” around a lot today, and use it to reference Bill Conlin………….

Next ArticleFrenchcoeur: Citizens Bank Park "a bandbox"