Reenactment: Luis Castillo Leaving Mets Camp

Via Andy McCullough:

This spring, he did not win the favor of the new regime. Before Castillo arrived, Terry Collins chided him publicly for not reaching camp early. Earlier this month, Collins scolded Castillo for not taking pregame ground balls when he was a designated hitter.

Castillo kept working. He lost 12 pounds during the offseason, begging his wife to feed him smaller portions, desperate to prove that “I can still play,” he said.

It was in vain. A player with his past had little place in the Mets’ future.

NSFW (language)

1. Kyle

March 21, 2011 11:22 AM

Classic

2. Chris

March 21, 2011 11:41 AM

It’s all about portion control!

/fat

3. hunterfan

March 21, 2011 01:18 PM

I’m actually starting to feel for Castillo if reasons like what were mentioned had anything to do with getting rid of him. They’re very specious, in my humble opinion.

First of all, the start date is the start date. You want someone there sooner, move up the start date. Don’t make it optional for the guy to come early, then ding him for not doing it.

And the whole “refusing to take ground balls” thing. Don’t his legs bother him? Maybe he knew his legs needed a rest more than he needed to take ground balls.

Instead, it’s being painted like he’s a lazy moron with an attitude problem…which he still well might be (I don’t know) but both of those instances don’t prove that.

4. Unka Cholly

March 21, 2011 04:00 PM

I reckon it was Jason Bay who got the burger to the face. Straight to the DL, then a .235/.298/.344 line with 4 HR/15 RBI/2SB when he gets back.

5. Sundar

March 21, 2011 05:34 PM

Didn’t want him, but now that he’s here, I’m hoping for a Pedro-like renaissance. I’m sure I’m not alone.

6. Shawn

March 22, 2011 09:34 AM

Luis Castillo reported, “Misisng”. If anyone can find him, please send him over to Clearwater so that ROYO or CliffLee can throw 2 seamers at his face.

kthx