Should Phillies Fans Cheer Logan Morrison?

If you’re not on Twitter, make an account right now and immediately follow @LoMoMarlins, the account of Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison. In a short time on Twitter, Morrison has made a splash with Marlins fans and also with baseball fans in general, particularly Phillies fans.

What separates Morrison’s Twitter feed from those of other athletes is that he doesn’t simply post banal material, such as how excited he is for the upcoming season and how hard he’s working. He talks with fans about almost anything, and even promoted the “Sharktits” meme.

LoMo made a splash with Phillies fans due to a combination of his sense of humor and admiration for Phillies players, particularly their pitchers:

Can I tell you how excited I am to face R2C2 (great name btw!) *Breaking News* Logan Morrison goes hitless vs Phillies until his 30th bday

He even respects Roy Oswalt’s ability to play the outfield:

Roy BUT I’m a WAY better LHP than him RT @OuttaHerrrrreee: who plays a better LF, you or Roy Oswalt?

Pitching prospect Jarred Cosart expressed dismay at having to earn a job against the Phillies’ fearsome foursome. Morrison played the role of realtor:

Good point. Forget renting in Lehigh Valley you may want 2 buy RT @JarredCosart: Try having 2 b the guy trying 2 take 1 of their jobs

Surely, you can see why Phillies fans have taken a liking to the guy. However, a certain segment of Phillies fans on Twitter think the LoMo love has gone too far, and worry that Philadelphia’s reputation as a tough sports town and the Phillies’ home field advantage are in jeopardy if fans openly cheer for Morrison at home games.

What Morrison has done on Twitter is great for baseball and more athletes should take note. He has established a real connection with both Marlins fans and fans of other teams, which is very, very hard to do. It is likely that Morrison’s personality will get more than a handful of non-Marlins fans to tune into his games during the season, which is great for advertisers and for MLB.tv. It may lead to the Marlins getting some more national exposure on FOX and ESPN. All because of “sharktits”.

But should Phillies put their reputation on the line and cheer for him? That’s up to each fan individually. There are some that feel that such behavior needs to be regulated, but ultimately, the decision is up to you. Part of being a baseball fan is choosing who you root for and who you root against, and sometimes the boundaries are blurred.

Consider Ken Griffey, Jr — incredible player, and an even better personality. If you actively disliked Junior, you were the one with the problem, even if you were a fan of the California Angels. Some players transcend those traditional boundaries. Morrison may not be the same caliber of player as Junior, but his use of technology to foster communication with fans can make him just as likable.

Follow @LoMoMarlins? Follow @CrashburnAlley, too!

1. FanSince09

January 20, 2011 05:55 PM

Screw LoMo. What’s more important is that Phillies fans should boo Coal Hammels.

2. Tazertits

January 20, 2011 06:11 PM

Fuck that noise. He’s done nothing to warrant cheers other than flirt with Philly girls on twitter. Pat Burrell did that shit in real life and he got booed.

3. Greg V.

January 20, 2011 06:11 PM

I enjoy Logan’s tweets. I love the work he’s doing outside of the game. He seems like a great guy and he has a great future in the game as well. I applaud him except when it’s time to play the Phillies. Not only will I not applaud him at CBP, I will boo him without mercy. There have been tons of players I’ve enjoyed over the years who aren’t Phillies, but when it’s time to play the home team, my love is checked at the door. Though I love it that he chats it up with Phillies fans and that a mutual respect exists between the two.

4. Marc

January 20, 2011 06:14 PM

The boos will outnumber the cheers, and the majority of the crowd doesn’t follow him on Twitter or even know who he is. Who cares?

5. Danielle

January 20, 2011 06:32 PM

Marc,
    Every Phils fan will know who he is in a few years when he signs with us. :) LoMoPhillies!

6. Dave S.

January 20, 2011 06:36 PM

Anyone with a pulse know who and what Logan Morrison is all about. Boo all you want he’ll love to stick it up you ass*es!

7. Marc

January 20, 2011 06:47 PM

I go back and forth with him on Twitter like everyone else, and he seems like a great kid, but let’s put this into context. Up to this point, Logan is a largely unproven player, but through no fault of his own. He hasn’t played much and his biggest claim to fame at this point is catching a foul tip in the face.

His Twitter follows will make up but a small fraction of the crowd, so it’s foolish to think he’s going to receive a standing ovation anytime soon. And even if he did, who cares? It will hardly make the news. An out-of-context booing of Santa Claus decades ago will make sure Philly’s reputation stays intact.

8. !!!

January 20, 2011 08:42 PM

i’ll cheer for him when hes in a philly uniform.

good young player though

9. Allen

January 20, 2011 10:43 PM

Fansince09,
    Apparently your dumber then a rock, why the F*ck would you boo Cole Hamels, you obviously don’t know a thing about baseball. He is a great pitcher and next year he’s going to win the cy young, I’ll bet money on it. If you really are a phillies fan you shouldn’t be booing any phillie player.

10. matt

January 20, 2011 11:20 PM

Relax, Allen, I’m pretty sure fansince09 writes their comments purposely as a joke, knowing the type of fans that read this page are usually somewhat SABR educated and more “hardcore” baseball fans than your typical crowd. Half the time when I click on the comment link it’s just to see what he wrote because I find it pretty comical.

11. TIffany

January 20, 2011 11:30 PM

Allen,

Don’t talk to Fansince09 that way. He is very intelligent. I bet he knows the difference between your and you’re.

12. KIeran Kelly

January 20, 2011 11:43 PM

Just to add this in there, this tweet was the one that kind of started this all today (well, after it was RT’d by a few others, including Bill himself)

twitter.com/kierankelly/status/28203372368633856

Just to add to that, I’m not hating on LoMo at all. I love that he’s embracing social media and interacting with fans, even those of his opponents.

What I have an issue with is with the people who are “genuine” Phillies fans swooning over the dude 24/7. It hurts our rep people. We’re not supposed to be nice to other players.

In all seriousness though, would LoMo be getting this type of reception if he played for the New York Mutts or Suckees, instead of the Marlins? I doubt it.

-KK

13. Allen

January 20, 2011 11:54 PM

yo tiff what is this english class or baseball.. and yes the guy is dumb I have read plenty of his comments before and I’m just sick of his crap he needs to just shut up.

14. Moose

January 21, 2011 12:05 AM

Allen,

Clearly “your [sic]” dumber than a rock. FanSince09 has been doing this forever. When thefightins shut down, he came here. It has zero seriousness in it. Learn how to identify comedy.

15. Marc

January 21, 2011 12:26 AM

Half the greatness of FanSince09 lies with the people that are thick enough to think it’s serious.

16. Marc

January 21, 2011 12:29 AM

Oh, and Kieran; congrats on inspiring a blog post. Kudos. Cheers.

17. loctastic

January 21, 2011 08:53 AM

applaud & yell ‘Sharktits!’ during introductions. Boo the hell out of him at the plate or at any time he’s in the field. Simple, really..

18. loctastic

January 21, 2011 08:54 AM

I also think he deserves a downgrade in the size of batteries being thrown. AA, max.

19. GM-Carson

January 21, 2011 09:58 AM

You can like Logan Morrison as a Phillies fan, that’s fine. However, cheering him at the game is a bit over-the-line. There are certain instances when cheering the opposition is okay, but being a friendly dude on Twitter isn’t one of them.

Say someone smashes homerun #500 against your team, hits for the cycle, throws a no-hitter or something big like that, then acknowledging them with a cheer is cool. Other than that, just silent admire them.

For example, I love Adam Dunn, but he’s the enemy when facing the Phils.

20. Scott G

January 21, 2011 01:13 PM

I was at a couple of the games in the SF series in Philly (regular season). Burrell hit homers in two of the games. I applauded him as he came up to the plate, but not after that.

Top of the 6th, Burrell hits a home run off of Blanton to make the game 5-2. A 3-run game. I hear a guy 2-3 rows back cheering, and I figure it’s just a Giants fan. He keeps it up, so I peek over my shoulder to see who it is. The guy is wearing Phillies gear. I am as big a Pat Burrell fan as anyone in the entire world, and this just is not acceptable. So I say:

Me: “You know he isn’t on the Phillies anymore, right?”

Guy: “So what, gotta support Pat.”

Me: “They’re directly affecting our chances at making the playoffs. Cannot support Pat right now.”

Guy: “Ah, the game’s over. What are you worried about?”

Me: “Are you joking? It’s the 6th inning, and the Phillies are up by 3 runs.”

Then the guy started trying to escalate the situation like a fool.

How can a Phillies fan root for the Giants right in the middle of the playoff run. Even more so, how can a Phillies fan think the game is over before J.C. Romero and Brad Lidge (a little more confidence here) come into the game?

21. Duane

January 21, 2011 05:04 PM

You know guys, I don’t have a Twitter account, and I am ashamed to admit this as a Phils Fan, but i have actually liked Logan Morrison’s game since about the middle of the year last year. I was very impressed with that hit streak he had, especially for his limited time in the MLB. No offense to Domenic Brown, but at this point I would trade Dom Brown for Logan Morrison in a heart beat. It would be awesome if he were to become a Phillie. I think the kid has moxy. That being said, unless he is wearing a Phillies Uniform, I am going to Boo him, loud and obnoxiously, anytime he comes up to bat against us. LOUDLY and OBNOXIOUSLY. Just to comment a little further, I also think he shows great plate discipline, and he hits the ball well off of LOOGY pitchers. I can’t believe I just admitted any of that. Screw Logan Morrison.

22. Duane

January 21, 2011 05:11 PM

Oops, it wasn’t a Hit Streak. It was an on base streak. I specifically remember we almost ended it and then he walked in a late inning to extend it.

23. shaddup and give me a pretzel

January 21, 2011 06:03 PM

Right on, a decent guy talking about the game.

When he comes to Phili, he’ll get a Phili welcome which is a check in the L column.

24. The DH

January 21, 2011 06:40 PM

This kid lost his Dad to cancer just this past December. I’ll tip my hat just for the fact that it’s 30 days later and he seems to be holding up well. Go get em, kid…

25. The DH

January 21, 2011 06:42 PM

Also, the fans at CBP have the one-appearance rule, and thats for former Phillies faves!

First at bat in an opposing teams uniform, you get the polite applause. 2nd at bat?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

26. Mark

January 22, 2011 03:58 PM

Took your advice and followed Logan Morrison. Got a direct message from him just a few hours later thanking me for the follow. I hope this is the future of baseball, Bill.

27. Timothy

January 22, 2011 08:39 PM

“put their reputations on the line?”
    as if Phillies fans should enjoy having the reputation of the biggest jerk fanbase in the MLB.

28. Jon

January 24, 2011 12:13 PM

@Timothy – have you never talked to a Yankees or Red Sox fan?

Phillies fans have a certain reputation for creative rudeness and occasional out-of-control antics, but when it comes to being flat boorish jerks, nobody can top the titans of the AL East.

29. SJHaack

January 25, 2011 12:51 PM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I try my damndest to make my reputation “Phillies Fan” and not “Philly Fan” because it’s a stigma that is obnoxious, frankly embarassing, and impossible to shake so you just have to reshape the idea as much as possible.

When Jim Thome batted in the 9th inning of a random mid-summer game the Phillies were leading by more than 7 runs, he got a standing ovation. I cheered him at home. When he hit a tremendous moonshot, he got a standing ovation. When the Phillies eventually lost that game due to a bullpen collapse I didn’t want to take back the cheers.

Will I CHEER for LoMo? No, probably not. Will I root for him? Yep.

Next ArticleOn Howard Eskin, Other Media