Ricciardi, Pagan Help Mets Meet Trash Talk Quota

Carlos Beltran, 2008:

So this year, to Jimmy Rollins, we are the team to beat. (New York Daily News)

Francisco Rodriguez, going into 2009:

Of course, we’re going to try to win the division. Of course, we’re going to be the front-runner. Of course, we’re going to be the team to beat. (ESPN)

J.P. Ricciardi, special assistant to Mets GM Sandy Alderson, going into the 2011 season:

So now that Mr. Ricciardi is a special assistant to Mets general manager Sandy Alderson, the prospect of having to wrench supremacy in the National League East away from the Philadelphia Phillies doesn’t fill him with much apprehension.

“The AL East always had two or three teams coming at you,” he said by phone recently. “After having done it so many years against the Yankees and the Red Sox and Tampa being good through that cycle, I’ll take my chances. Even though the Phillies are really good, I’ll take my chances over here.” (Wall Street Journal)

Angel Pagan on Wednesday:

Angel Pagan knows that much of the baseball world is “talking about Philadelphia” since the Phillies added Cliff Lee to an already-imposing rotation. But Pagan wants to make sure no one forgets about the Mets, either, even if they’ve had a much lower-profile winter. “If we have health, we can give them a fight,” Pagan said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “Everyone is counting on Philadelphia, but they have to do it. I got my money on my team, bro. I love challenges and that’s why I’m looking forward to it. I believe in surprises.” (New York Daily News)

You’d think that, after four seasons of the Phillies dominating the NL East, the Mets would learn to keep their mouths shut. Everybody and their mother has already concluded that the Mets will be golfing in October. That is, everyone except Ricciardi and Pagan, it seems.

1. James K.

January 14, 2011 09:04 AM

Creating a story where there is none, re: Ricciardi and Pagan’s quotes. Those are as banal as it gets. “I think we have a chance!” type quotes that we hear from every team this time of year. Moving right along.

2. Glenn

January 14, 2011 09:13 AM

Meh…What do you expect them to say? That they really can’t compete? That won’t sell tickets.

This doesn’t sound like something a reasonable person would find offensive. I’m sure you can cite a lot worse examples of “trash talking.”

3. Dave

January 14, 2011 09:17 AM

How is this trash talking? What is he supposed to say, the Phils are my daddy? I hate the Mets like any red pinstriper but this is weak.

4. Moose

January 14, 2011 02:06 PM

While I agree this isn’t too much to get panty-bunched about, don’t forget Santana saying he was the best pitcher in the NL East after we traded for Halladay.

5. CarlosBeltransexual

January 14, 2011 03:09 PM

Wait, I don’t understand what Ricciardi’s saying. Yes, those Toronto teams played against New York, Boston, and Tampa. They never actually competed with those teams for a division or anything.

6. awh

January 14, 2011 04:13 PM

The Mets may be good enough to be a spoiler in the division. That is, they may win a couple of games against another team that affects the standings. But unless they get way, way better, they will finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th, and likely 4th or 5th.

I say 5th, because without Santana for a full year I’m not sure they’re much better than the Nats.

7. bill

January 14, 2011 06:30 PM

This is not trash talking. Both guys are just saying that their team has a chance, which really, what else are they gonna say? Next.

8. illrhyme

January 14, 2011 08:16 PM

boring

9. AllanHuberSelig

January 15, 2011 12:46 AM

I guess if Pagan was good enough to get into the Hall of Fame I would take that putting money on the Mets comment a little more seriously…

10. derekcarstairs

January 15, 2011 04:15 AM

The Mets are not worth any attention at all.

The Braves, on the other hand, are a different story. The Braves won’t win the division in 2011, but they should be pretty good and continue to get better. The real threat is a few years away, when their pitching prospects reach the majors and some of our aces are either gone (Oswalt) or are starting to get old. In 2014, will our staff with older aces (Halladay and Lee) plus Hamels and one or more of Cosart, Colvin, May, Biddle, etc. remain superior to a Braves’ staff with Hanson and two or more of Minor, Teheran, Delgado and Vizcaino?

Neither team is an immediate threat, but, if you’re running out of topics while waiting for the season to start, the Braves are more interesting than the Mets.

11. Anthony

January 15, 2011 05:53 PM

Derek speaks the truth, no clue why anyone is paying any attention to the Mets. None of that is even trash talking, so the author wrote an article trash talking the Mets for not really even trash talking…….weird.

12. moniale

January 16, 2011 12:28 PM

Pagan has the rigth to say that. In fact: everybody has before the season begins. In fact Pagan and the Mets will be tie with the phillies at first place after all…. just for opening day! Lol

13. CarlosBeltransexual

January 16, 2011 06:19 PM

I, for one, am always glad when a website directs me to silliness from the Mets. Who cares if it’s humble; they’re a garbage team and it’s cute that they believe in themselves.

Next ArticleKyle Kendrick's Arbitration Case