Dennys Reyes, Fat Jokes Likely Coming to Philadelphia

With Joe Blanton fat jokes going out of style, left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes will likely provide some comic relief for Phillies fans. ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the hefty lefty is close to signing with the Phillies on a one-year deal with a club option for 2012.

Reyes, who will turn 34 in April, isn’t an inspiring pitcher by any means. In 2010, Reyes set a career-low in K/9 (5.9) and posted an obscenely high BB/9 (5.0). Essentially, he’s a heavier version of J.C. Romero.

If used strictly against lefties, Reyes can be effective. Since 2002, Reyes walked right-handed hitters on a much more frequent basis, averaging 5.3 per nine innings compared to 3.70 against lefties. In terms of xFIP, Reyes has been about a full run better against lefties. The following chart displays his xFIP by year against right- and left-handed batters.

Also of note is Reyes’ penchant for inducing ground balls. Since 2002, when batted ball data was recorded, nearly 56 percent of batted balls have been on the ground. However, that figure has been decreasing every year since 2006.

It’s a “meh” signing for the Phillies, but at least it gives us laypeople plenty of opportunity to show off our comedic chops.

1. Djcione

December 08, 2010 03:02 PM

so far, the organization has done nothing to help the team this winter-pathetic job at this point.

2. Mike Hunt

December 08, 2010 04:54 PM

Amaro will make a trade for a right handed bat to put in RF. He always plays that nothing is happening game and then he makes a move. Usually a good one.

3. Matty B.

December 08, 2010 05:54 PM

I think Reyes fills a large hole in our bullpen. He’s a well-rounded player and he’s widely considered to be one of the hungriest players in the game.

4. Chris

December 08, 2010 05:59 PM

Except we don’t need a right-handed bat in RF. There’s no reason not to start Brown next year. He tore up the minors and putting him in there for even part of next year or platooning him in RF is just stunting his growth. He’s never going to be able to hit left-handed ML pitching unless he actually faces them… LF should be an Ibanez/Francisco platoon, which is what should have been done last year anyway. 200 PAs out of Francisco is honestly just a waste. I wish we had pushed harder for Feliciano, assuming we did at all and assuming were not gonna pursue any more left-handers now that we presumably have Reyes.

5. Nik

December 08, 2010 06:02 PM

I’d have rather taken a shot on Sherrill. Instead the Braves signed him for 1.2MM

6. Scott G

December 08, 2010 11:27 PM

Matty,

Was that a fat joke about him being “one of the hungriest players in the game”? If not, I think cliche statements like that are absurd. He’s awful, and comparing him to J.C. Romero is almost perfect.

I thought the Phillies learned their lesson about signing relief pitchers with plural first names (Danys Baez).

7. Moose

December 09, 2010 12:01 AM

Scott G,

You gotta be kidding me. “Fills a large hole” “well rounded” “widely” “hungriest” You really missed all of those?

8. Scott G

December 09, 2010 07:20 AM

Yea, I guess that was pretty bad. Can’t believe I missed those things. Nevertheless, Reyes is not good.

9. KH

December 09, 2010 11:59 AM

Underwhelming off-season so far. This guy is basically a meidocre Loogy. Antonio Bastardo would be better then this guy if given an extended chance to get over the yips imo.

10. Matty B.

December 09, 2010 12:12 PM

Thanks for the assist, Moose.

Yes, Reyes is not very good at pitching.

In an effort to search for the silver lining, I wonder if his signing gives Bastardo more of an opportunity to shine than if we had signed a LOOGY who was actually good.

Or Charlie could lean on Reyes regardless of his performance because he’s a (very) large veteran presence.

11. Aaron H

December 09, 2010 05:41 PM

I think they signed him specifically to take Jason Heyward out of the equation. I heard this Reyes guy feasts on lefties.

12. Eat Black Pussy

January 08, 2011 04:14 AM

Later on that evening, when it was time on behalf of me to depart, I asked Miss Ivory Coastline if she will need a ride back to her hotel. She said positive and i took her to where she was staying. She invited me to come back within so we could continue what we experienced started earlier. Who was I to argue? I went inside and finally fucked that Ivory Coast pussy.

Next ArticleGuest Post: Phillies Just Fine Without Werth