Doc’s No-No: By the Numbers

If you happened to be vacationing somewhere in the Andromeda galaxy yesterday, you’re probably wondering why Roy Halladay is still the top trending topic on Twitter. The right-hander, already the author of a perfect game during the regular season, held the Cincinnati Reds hitless through nine innings in Game One of the NLDS last night. He became the second player in baseball history to toss a no-hitter in the post-season, joining Don Larsen who pitched a perfect game in the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Just how good was Halladay? Let’s delve into the numbers.

0 runs
94 MPH, maximum fastball velocity
94 game score
104 pitches thrown
154 minutes to complete nine innings
46,411 paid attendance
respect earned

Back in February, I pondered Halladay’s chances of being inducted into the Hall of Fame. I concluded:

If Halladay helps the Phillies reach the post-season on multiple occasions and pitches well in his playoff appearances (winning a World Series would really help), and if he can make a few All-Star teams, and if he can earn some Cy Young votes (the hardware would, again, really help), then a legitimate case can be made that he should go into the Hall of Fame with a Phillies cap.

In his first year with the Phillies, Halladay has:

• Pitched a perfect-game against the Florida Marlins
  • Made the NL All-Star team
  • Pitched a complete game shut-out to help his team clinch the division against the Washington Nationals
  • Led the NL in wins, complete games, shut-outs, innings pitched, strikeout-to-walk ratio, and lowest walk rate
  • [Will likely] win the NL Cy Young award
  • Put himself into legitimate NL MVP candidacy
  • Pitched a no-hitter in Game One of the NLDS against the Cincinnati Reds, his first career post-season start

Just imagine what he can do from 2011-13 and potentially ’14 (vesting option worth $20 million). He needs only 31 more regular season wins for 200 over his career, which should seal the deal among the more traditional voters. I didn’t think it was possible at the time I wrote the article, but Halladay has done enough this season to make his career worthy of Cooperstown enshrinement. The only question mark concerns the logo on his cap, but Philadelphia got a hell of a head start with Halladay’s performance this year.

Still can’t get enough of the no-hitter? Listen to Scott Franzke’s call of Halladay’s moment from last night by clicking here.

1. Dan

October 07, 2010 06:35 AM

Honestly I think it would be unfair to enshrine Halladay in Cooperstown wearing a Phillies hat. He came up through the Blue Jays, he won most of his game with the Blue Jays, he learned what he knows about pitching with the Blue Jays. All we’re doing is giving him his chance at hardware. And when you think about it, the Blue Jays gave him that, too. They didn’t have to trade him. Sure he would have probably walked the next year, but look at what he would have missed out on.

Halladay owes the Jays his career. If he gets enshrined, the only way it should be with a Phillies hat is if he spends at least another 5-7 years here, or if he has two hats; the Jays and the Phils.

As for his no-no, it was truly spectacular and I still can’t fully grasp it. I’ll be wearing my Halladay jersey every time he pitches from now on, that’s for sure!

2. Scott G

October 07, 2010 07:37 AM

Bill,

Am I crazy for assuming that Halladay (one of the best pitchers of this era) would make the Hall of Fame before he even came to the Phillies? I can’t believe that you might still doubt if he’s in or not. I honestly thought it was a given, probably even before the ’09 season should he finish his career without missing significant time due to injury.

October 07, 2010 08:20 AM

He had only pitched 150+ innings four times and his ERA wasn’t amazing. Only did he become a higher strikeout-inducer. I think it’s still debatable at this point but much less so given all that he has accomplished this year.

4. Dave P

October 07, 2010 08:31 AM

You could even add 0 3-0 or 3-1 counts.

5. Scott G

October 07, 2010 08:52 AM

Before this year, he pitched at least 220 innings in the ’02, ’03, ’06, ’07, ’08, ’09 season. ?

Not that I enjoy basing greatness on awards voted on by illogical people, but he won the CY Young in ’03, was top 5 in CYA voting 3 other times, and was selected to 6 AS games (before this season). He had also WON(!!!) 20 games in two different seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Also, sub 3 ERA in 4 seasons.

October 07, 2010 08:55 AM

Totally my bad on the innings. I was only looking at the ones that were bolded on his BBref page, which means that he led the league. Forgive me, I had stayed up all night for the rebroadcast of the no-no and I haven’t slept yet. :-o

7. Keith

October 07, 2010 09:07 AM

25 balls, with 4 of those coming on the lone walk. To the other 27 batters, Halladay threw only 21 balls. Less than one ball per batter! Unbelievable!

8. kranepool

October 07, 2010 09:10 AM

One of the best pitched games I ever saw, Halladay pitched like the ball was a remote controled airplane, darting and diving wherever he wanted it.

Don’t take this comment as a peace offering Bill, I can still bring the hate. Now I have to get back to putting my shambles of a franchise back together

9. Jim T

October 07, 2010 09:52 AM

Sorry but Doc will go into the HOF with a Jays cap and I don’t think he’d be annoyed with that. He was brilliant with the jays, his ERA hardly unimpressive considering facing the Yanks and BoSox so many times a year in the extremely tough AL East. Jays don’t have a HOF’er. He’ll be the 1st and so he should be. if he retires/leaves the Phils after 2014 that’s 5 yrs to 11 in the jays favour. HOF commitee will have no choice but to elect him as a Jay. Its not like he was a hack in Toronto, its just that most US media had no idea how accomplished and awesome he was with the Jays.

10. MK

October 07, 2010 03:44 PM

Haven’t us Jays fans gone through enough this year that you want to take his HOF Jays hat away too? God, that idea just guts me. Thanks Dan, for making the case I’m too emotional to make.

11. Dan

October 07, 2010 04:48 PM

No problem MK.

As for Randy Johnson, I would hope he’ll be enshrined with no cap (cap without a logo), a la Catfish Hunter.

12. Corey

October 07, 2010 10:25 PM

Fatalotti, the Jays have no HoFers now, but that will change next summer with Robbie Alomar. And before y’all claim him as your own, keep in mind that there are two HoFers who won their only rings with the Blue Jays but are enshrined with different hats on. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but I’d suggest taking a close look at Gary Carter’s plaque if you want to see a precedent.

Also, my guess is Randy will go in as a DBack. Hard to say, though.

13. Aaron P

October 11, 2010 12:38 PM

So eleven seasons with Toronto and you are already wiping them out after one season with Phillie? Really? Halladay was already the best pitcher in baseball long before he came to Phillie. You act like he should be in debt to Phillie for giving him the chance at the playoffs, when it should be you being grateful to him for going to Phillie.

All in all, even if he plays five years in Phillie and wins five Cy Youngs, I would wager Halladay will go in in a Jays cap. That’s just the kind of guy he is. He is a class act as everybody knows and there is no way he will disregard the ELEVEN years spent in Toronto. Halladay isn’t the kind of guy who would make his decision based on where he won more Cy Young awards.

Next ArticleRoy Halladay’s No-Hitter, Moment by Moment