Halladay Wins Battle Roy-ale

Phillies broadcaster Tom McCarthy called Roy Halladay a “surgeon” when he’s on the mound. Halladay was just that today against the Astros. He tossed nine efficient innings. 75% of his 111 pitches were strikes. If not for two fielding snafus in the sixth inning, Halladay would have notched his 16th career shut-out along with his 150th victory and 50th complete game.

The Phillies offense finally faced a legitimate starting pitcher in Roy Oswalt, who held them to two runs. Oswalt competed very well with Roy Halladay, striking out eight in six innings. However, he was not able to overcome a Jimmy Rollins lead-off home run and aggressive base running in the second inning.

Coming into the game, Phillies hitters were on a roll. In five games, they had racked up only 26 strikeouts behind 32 walks.

Rollins, Utley, Ibanez, and Ruiz are drawing walks at rates well above their career averages.

Utley, Howard, and Werth are striking out well below their career averages.

The team’s five wins and one loss marks the best start since 1993, when the to-be National League champions won eight of their first nine. Their win today keeps them a game in front of the Florida Marlins, two in front of the Washington Nationals, and three in front of the New York Mets.

Cole Hamels will take the bump tomorrow in the team’s home opener. He will be opposed by Jason Marquis, who struggled in his first start of the year against the Phillies.

The Inquirer’s Matt Gelb has a list of the events scheduled for tomorrow.

Game graph courtesy FanGraphs.

1. David

April 11, 2010 09:52 PM

Roy Halladay finished the game in two hours and twenty minutes. My girlfriend and I had dinner reservations with friends at 5 p.m. today.

Well done, Doc.

I’ve avoided the “You care about baseball more than me” argument for another day.

2. Dave P

April 11, 2010 10:04 PM

I know it’s a small sample size but after two games I feel comfortable saying I’m going to enjoy watching Halladay pitch while wearing a Phillies uniform.

3. casino fate

April 12, 2010 04:51 AM

Chess is all about patience and Roy Halladay is got a lot of it.
    I ALL WAYS SEE HIM MAKING RIGHT MOVE AT RIGHT TIME.

HEADS OFF TO HIM

4. Dan

April 12, 2010 12:22 PM

And David, if she doesn’t care more about baseball than she does about you, it was never meant to be…

5. David

April 12, 2010 12:30 PM

Dan, you’re preaching to the chior. It’s an internal struggle I battle with.

Anyone heading to the Bank this week?

I hope Hamels can give us 6+ today.

6. Phillies Fan 20

April 14, 2010 11:58 AM

These are great stats.

Everything is trending in a nuetral or positive direction with the exception of Ibanez. What’s the Phillies magic number? 157? ….

I hope I didn’t jinx us, I was just kidding about the magic number.

7. Conveyancing solicitors

March 08, 2011 07:59 AM

Good information in your posting, I saw a report on television last week about this same thing and since I am getting married in 2 weeks and the timing couldn’t have been better! thnks for the post!

Next ArticleDear Philadelphia: Deal With It