Marcus Hayes, You’re On Notice

If you read through my What’s Wrong With Ryan Howard? article, you might have read, and probably became upset with Marcus Hayes’ disparaging remarks towards a Sabermetric-using Phillies fan.

A contributor at The Good Phight wrote about it here. Jim from Broad Street Bastards initially sent Hayes the E-Mail that prompted the wrath of the Daily News columnist.

Philadelphia Will Do caught wind of the article written at TGP, and reposted Hayes’ comments, and slammed him in defense of Sabermetrics.

[Quoting Hayes] Sabremetrics [SIC] are the bastion of wannabes who never could quite figure out which hand the mitt went on, a false industry created and fueled by people whose association with the game always will be vicarious, and, frankly, pathetic.

As opposed to sports writers, who are clearly… former… major league… baseball… players? Ha ha, remember when the Phillies were short in the bullpen and they got Marcus Hayes to close that one night? Man, that was awesome.

Marcus Hayes himself apparently showed up and posted a comment to PWD’s blog. He responded thusly:

Numberheads,

Just letting you blogicians know:
No longer will you, or anyone else, be afforded the privilege (burden?) of corresponding with me. When I reply to an individual it is intended to be a confidential response. Since I can’t trust you, I assume I can’t trust anyone.
It is not meant to be posted on anyone’s blog, and certainly not on a for-profit entity of a direct competitor.
So, no more responses. Can’t trust you, so don’t bother writing.
But then, if you hold my replies in such low esteem, why bother writing?
Of course, this gives many of you more time for your World of Warcraft RPG endeavors.
Happy gaming.
Hope the eczema clears up.
M

Marcus Hayes, of the Philadelphia Daily News, you’re officially On Notice!

On Notice

As a self-described distributor of truth, I would like to clear up a few assumptions Hayes makes in his comment (if that was really him):

• E-Mails are not implicitly confidential. Any parties that you send the E-Mail to have ownership of said E-Mail and can do with it what they wish. However, no one has the right to actually go through your E-Mail (despite what the USA PATRIOT Act says).Most people would abide by a simple request to keep the E-Mail(s) confidential.And it is also important to remember the context in which the exchange between “jonk” at TGP and Hayes took place. It was an informal conversation. Jonk was not interviewing Hayes for the purpose of an article, so the conversation had nothing to do with actual journalism. If Hayes hadn’t been so disparaging, the exchange would have never been posted, most likely.
  • Hayes says that Proponents of Sabermetrics are role-playing nerds with eczema. I can cite two professional baseball players off of the top of my head that are proponents of the Sabermetric approach: Billy Beane, and Carlos Gomez (let me know if there are others, as I’m curious myself).And then there’s Hayes’ ignorant use of stereotypes — that bloggers are unathletic nerds that live in their mothers’ basements. What’s sad is that Hayes’ beliefs about proponents of Sabermetrics are shared by many others in the journalism circles. Fire Joe Morgan does a great job of holding most of them accountable.Oh, and there’s also the irony. In Hayes’ original E-Mail to “jonk” at TGP, he accuses bloggers of living vicariously through the athletes. Well, what do you do then, Mr. Hayes? Aren’t you the one jamming tape recorders under their chin, and talking and writing about them on a daily basis — for which you went to school for four years of your life?

I think Hayes did a great job of making himself look extremely foolish and immature. He has given me ample reasoning to never purchase a newspaper from the Philadelphia Daily News again (not that I had been recently anyway).

If any of my readers are interested in joining me in this boycott, Hayes also appears weekly on ESPN’s First Take, and he participates on a somewhat regular basis with Comcast SportsNet’s Daily News Live, a show featuring host Michael Barkann and three or more guests — writers from the Philadelphia Daily News, as well as some guests (athletes, celebrities, comedians, etc.).

Marcus Hayes, you’re On Notice. You don’t want to be Dead to Me.

1. Jim

August 24, 2007 10:34 AM

Not to be picky, but actually I’m Sabreboy (and proud of it). I’m not a contributor at The Good Phight- they just ran with my emails for some reason. My blog is Broad Street Bastards. I’ll add you to our blogroll as well.

Jim

2. Mark dlV

August 24, 2007 02:05 PM

Include Manny Acta as a Sabre Boy as well.

3. chris

August 24, 2007 02:15 PM

Dude I’m reading your emails right now. You sick bastard

4. John Brattain

September 14, 2007 07:14 AM

Hi:

I followed a link from Ball-Hype that led me here. First off: Awesome blog name, I love the play on Richie Ashburn. Second: Mr. Hayes appears to suffer from inverse-craniumanalitis (I think you can figure out what that is easily enough–anybody who can be that creative with a blog name can figure out my lame joke). I hate pomposity and as a professional scribe (MSN Canada) I can say that our occupation is hardly worthy of such an attitude (BTW I find blogs waaaay more informative than mainstream media–so stay proud and loud). Finally, as a newbie to your blog I do have a question: What all is entailed in being put “officially on notice?” I checked out that “About Us” page and it didn’t really explain it and I am admittedly curious.

A final thought: You should concern yourself a *bit* with the more traditional stats because they do factor into analysis. A quick example–pitching wins. A manager will often make decisions based on this stat which will affect a pitcher’s numbers. For example: Check out the pitches thrown by Blue Jays starters of late. Lately, the idiotic John Gibbons has allowed his starters to throw an ungodly amount of pitches when there is nothing on the line but the pitcher’s “win.” Just last night, he left the fragile A.J. Burnett toss 120 pitches over eight innings in an attempt to do so and failed (Jays won in the bottom of the ninth). In trying to get Roy Halladay his 15th win he has allowed him to throw 609 pitches over his last five starts. The Jays are playing for nothing and Gibbons is risking 2008 trying to get his starters the “win” stat.

The traditional stats affect usage with the “save” rule as well–something to bear in mind when looking at leveraged innings. You need batting average to calculate BABIP.

So they do have *some* utility when examining a player’s contributions–so while looking at and studying more efficient measures keep an eye on the old standards–there’s useful information there as well.

A final thought. I used to be an Expos fan (I’ve always had an AL and NL rooting interest) and after they moved to D.C. I needed to find another NL club to root for. For reasons not completely understood (I think my Maple Leafs fandom has moved me to the point where I like pain) I just recently discovered that I’ve been a Phillies fan without realizing it (you can thank/curse the Mike Gill Show for that). I recently consummated my relationship here:

www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/stockholm-syndrome/

Oh yeah, if you’re looking for a candidate to be put on notice, you might want to consider Delco Times writer Jack McCaffery for this: tinyurl.com/ys7lot

It was the topic I based today’s column on:

www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/is-this-for-real/

I’ve gabbed long enough (occupational hazard), however as an almost 43 year old newly-minted Phillies fan I’m putting *you* on notice that I’ve bookmarked your blog for future reference. If the writing is as creative as the blog’s name, I think I’m going to enjoy poking around here.

Best Regards

John

5. John Brattain

September 14, 2007 07:16 AM

Ouch.

I see the software doesn’t allow spacing between paragraphs.

Ah well–such is life.

Best Regards

John

6. John Brattain

September 14, 2007 07:55 AM

“I followed a link from Ball-Hype that led me here.” It was you that left the link (silly me). Thanks for the link BTW.–Best Regards: John (Why fight it?)

7. billbaer

September 14, 2007 05:24 PM

John, the “On Notice” thing is facetious. It’s a bit Stephen Colbert uses, and it’s basically an empty threat. There’s nothing I can really do to Marcus Hayes aside from express my scorn. Other bloggers have done so as well, and if the rumor is correct, the Philadelphia Daily News will relieve Hayes of his Phillies-covering duties at the end of the season. That’s what I’ve heard from the guy who originally sent in the letter to Hayes that resulted in the anti-Sabermetric tirade.

I don’t completely dismiss traditional statistics. I do think wins and losses for pitchers don’t show much, saves and holds are meaningless, and batting average is flawed because it doesn’t take power hitting into account. However, they are the stepping stones for Sabermetrics, so they aren’t completely worthless.

John Gibbons… not someone likely to be up for a Manger of the Year award anytime soon.

Thanks for the comments — enjoyed the Stockholm article and glad you’re on our side now.

8. John Brattain

September 14, 2007 05:37 PM

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Yeah, pretty classless act by Mr. Hayes–and none too bright. You can tell how smart a writer is (I’m the exception to the rule *g*) by whether he understands that his readers can teach him things as well. I’ve gotten so much excellent reader feedback over the years that I wish I kept track of everybody so I could go back and say thanks. As to sabermetrics, I’m not really smart enough to go into real depth with my work but I do understand its value since I’ve watched enough baseball to know that a lot of what goes on in a game isn’t captured by conventional stats. Funny thing is, it would likely surprise Mr. Hayes to know that sabermetrics has enriched my baseball-viewing experience since I understand better the value of what somebody on the field is doing. Best Regards: John

9. billbaer

September 14, 2007 06:52 PM

Exactly. Anti-Sabermetrics people feel threatened, I presume, by both the thought that we want to replace the current statistics they’ve grown accustomed to using, and that we are talking about stuff they don’t understand. As they say, knowledge is power.

I love blogging because I learn something new every day. What’s sad is that I couldn’t even say that some days when I was in college.

All I know is that if I was in Hayes’ seat, I’d love the reader feedback and the new methods of enjoying the game.

As for McCaffery, I remember reading one of his articles a while ago, before the Abreu trade, that basically lambasted Abreu as a player. Overrated, lethargic, uncaring, etc. Sometimes I wonder if he only recently started watching baseball.

10. jwb

September 16, 2007 08:18 PM

“Sometimes I wonder if he only recently started watching baseball.”
    No, but I don’t think he has a chance of ever developing any understanding of it.

11. henry baker

November 27, 2007 02:55 PM

whats he got against world of warcraft?

Next ArticlePhillies Bullpen Is Back to Normal